Rules Question

I was just looking at the start of the Ticats/Bombers game and just noticed something on the Tasker fumble.

While Tasker had the ball, Bombers #38 attempted a tackle and missed. His momentum caused him to roll out of bounds.

When Tasker fumbled the ball, 38 jumped from out of bounds into the field of play and onto the ball recovering the fumble, giving Winnipeg the ball.

My question is, should 38 have been flagged for illegal participation because he went out of bounds because of his own actions?

At no point was he contacted by a Ticat player other than Tasker as he brushed by on the failed tackle attempt.

Is this the same as a reciever running down the sideline and stepping out of bounds on his own, only to step back in to make a catch? Which I think is an illegal participation penalty.

Rule 1, Section 9, Article 8 if the player makes bodily contact with an opponent and goes out of bounds he can continue with the play by returning to the field of play.

I have another rules question - hope it's cool to post it here.

On this play why was the single point conceded by Winnipeg taken off the board after the penalty was called? That was significant as an opportunity to kick a field goal to tie with 8 seconds left could have affected the outcome. If a penalty on the receiving team negates the single point wouldn't teams intentionally draw them if they're tied late in the game and the other team is punting deep?

(00:49) B. MAHER Punt (39 yds), Returned by T. LOFFLER (0 yds), Dead Ball Declared, Penalty: Holding, Return called on Winnipeg (S. GREEN) (5 yds.) - Enforced From W10

If the penalty had been declined the single point would have been recorded, since they accepted the penalty the point isn't awarded.

Challenger99, it was only a few years ago that you discovered this league, and were asking questions about the rules. And here you are answering those same questions from others. Very nice to see.

:thup:

[quote="CatsFaninOttawa"]Challenger99, it was only a few years ago that you discovered this league, and were asking questions about the rules. And here you are answering those same questions from others. Very nice to see.

:thup:[/quote

Thank you. Watched every game so far and we are scheduled to fly up for the July 23 game between the TiCats and Edmonton.
Yeah, I guess I've become a CFL Fan.

I have a couple clock questions..

On the final drive Fantuz caught a ball and went out of bounds (twice). On the first time the clock continued to run. Did anyone else notice this?

Also, post the 3 minute warning, does the clock run? Winnipeg had the ball and I believe the clock was stopped at the 2:52 mark or something like that, following the warning the clock ran as time was blown in? I cant believe I haven't noticed this before.

The clock on TSN broadcasts isn’t tied to the official game clock, and is often seen running when it shouldn’t.

In the last three minutes, the clock starts running when the play is whistled in except after the play goes out of bounds, an incomplete pass, a turnover, an accepted penalty, a kickoff, etc., in which case it starts when the ball is snapped. On kickoffs, the clock doesn’t start until the ball is touched (and not when it touches the ground, as the TSN commentators stated in one of the games).

Rules on the clock from the 2013 rule book.

Article 3 – Time Out
Time shall start when the ball is touched following the kickoff at the start of a half, or after a scoring play, and shall continue until the ball is ruled dead and an official signals to the timekeeper that time shall stop for any of the following reasons:

• When a score has been made
  • When the ball goes Out of Bounds
  • When a forward pass is incomplete
  • For the application of penalties
  • For player substitution
  • For delay caused by player injury
  • When time expires at the end of each period
  • When the ball becomes dead after the three-minute warning has been given in any half
  • When a player or head coach requests a team timeout
  • For a convert attempt during the last three minutes of a half
  • When the Referee deems it necessary to suspend play.

If in any period the ball becomes dead with only a short period of time remaining, the team in possession shall be entitled to one complete play even though that play may extend beyond the normal termination of that period.

If a touchdown is scored on the last play of a period, the period shall be extended to include the convert attempt.

Article 4 – Time In
After a time out for any reason, time shall start again on the signal of the Referee for any of the following reasons:

• When the ball is touched following a kickoff
  • When it is ready to be scrimmaged
  • When it is snapped immediately after a time count foul
  • When it is snapped on the play immediately following a time out due to crowd noise
  • When it is snapped following a team time out
  • When it is snapped after Team A creates two consecutive fouls prior to the ball being put legally into play prior to the last three minutes of any half
  • When it is snapped on the play immediately following a kickoff or a kick from scrimmage or an open-field kick during the last three minutes in any half
  • When it is snapped immediately following a play during which possession changed in the last three minutes in any half
  • When it is snapped immediately following an incomplete legal forward pass in the last three minutes in any half
  • When it is snapped immediately following a time out caused by the ball being carried Out of Bounds during the last three minutes in any half
  • When it is snapped immediately following a score during the last three minutes in any half
  • When it is snapped immediately following the application of a penalty for a foul that occurs after the three-minute warning signal has been given in any half; however, the non-offending team may decline the penalty and permit time to resume as though a foul had not occurred
  • When it is snapped immediately following the application of dual penalties during the last three minutes of a half.
  • When it is snapped after Team A commits an offensive foul prior to the snap, inside their own 25 yd line or on any convert attempt.

If, during the last three minutes of a half, an infraction is committed before the ball can be snapped the non-offending team may:

(a) accept the penalty, in which case time shall resume on the snap or,
(b) decline the penalty and elect whether time shall resume on the snap or when the Referee declares the ball in play.

After a touchdown, time shall stop and shall resume when the Referee declares the ball in play for a convert attempt, except during the last three minutes of a half, when time shall resume when the ball is touched on the ensuing kickoff.

After Fantuz’ first catch the refs determined he was pushed backwards out of bounds, so they give him his forward progress and rule him in bounds at that point. The official on that sideline pointed down to the ground, meaning in bounds, rather than his thumbs to the sidelines, or out of bounds.
I also noticed Andre Proulx ran back to his spot in the backfield late before blowing the next play in. He was running back from the Ticats sideline, probably after explaining to Austin that the play was in bounds so the clock would run. Masoli ran a quick sneak on the next play, so they obviously new the clock was going to run.

If Winnipeg’s play at 2:52 was in bounds, then yes, the clock would run when Proulx blew the next play in.

@catsfaninottawa- not tsn. I was at the game.

@jerkfaceloser makes perfect sense. Thanks.

As for Austin not using 1 of his timeouts before the 3 min warning. That's for another thread.