Rule explanation

SECTION 11 — TEAM PERSONNEL

Article 1 — Bench Area
The team bench area shall be a rectangular area situated not closer to the Sideline than 6 feet and extending for a distance of 30 yards parallel to the Sideline. During a game, the area may be occupied only by substitute players in uniform and other accredited persons including coaches, doctors, trainers, equipment assistants and water carriers. All such personnel are required to remain within the rectangular area with the exception of the coaches, who may take positions between the bench area and the Sideline.
The coaches shall not be permitted on the playing field at any time during the game, except with the permission of the Referee.

PENALTY: L10
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this is true, should Dickenson (Calgary strain) be allowed to constantly enter the playing area to throw his challenge flag or try to draw the attention of an official?
In my opinion, most other coaching staffs have this down and adhere to the"behind the line" rule.
Perhaps another Calgary only rule
…just saying

I don’t really have a problem with him (or any coach) stepping out if it’s to call a time-out or throw a challenge flag. As long as it’s for a legal stoppage of play, I think they should be able to get the ref’s attention. The alternative is to let a potentially-voided play run and have the players risk injury for nothing.

That said, I have a problem with every other time he stepped out on the field, and there were a few.

Dickenson acts like a child. I won’t call him a little bitch because that is not nice.

Tough to watch at times.

Clawed:

Every HC at one time or another steps on to the field of play for one reason or another. Mostly to throw a flag and ensure the game ref sees it.
There’s lots to dislike about Calgary but singling out Dickenson on this issue is not on my dislike list.

It’s a good thing you didn’t say it.

Everything I’ve put in bold print and underlined,in this rule, is totally ignored by the league and game officials, and has been for some years now, just like the dress code rules.

Dickinson was down around the Ticats side of the field around the 50 yard line when he threw the challenge flag.

In the old days, coaches were tethered by their wired headsets.

I blame wireless technology for wandering coaches.

Be careful what you wish for. When Danny Barrett was the Roughriders’ head coach, he walked onto the field between almost every one of their offensive plays to communicate with his quarterback. At the time, our seats at Ivor Wynne were right behind the visitor’s bench and one night, I spent most of game pointing out this rule infraction to the side judge in a loud voice. Every time he walked back to the sidelines, Barrett looked up at me and smiled.
Then late in the game, our head coach Ronnie Lancaster threw a fit over a bad call and ran onto the field to confront the refs. They threw the flag on Ronnie and during the head referee’s announcement of the penalty, I looked down at Barrett who was looking right back at me … laughing.

One of many things, it can be blamed for!

Lol

In the even older days there were no headsets. Coaches had to make decisions on their own.

Old school coaches even felt comfortable speaking on the sidelines without covering their faces with laminated sheets in a counter-espionage effort.

If they wanted to talk to their QBs they had to do it during timeouts or when the defence was on the field - not through a speaker in the helmet.

Many QBs were even trusted to call their own plays in the huddle. And the same starting players could execute the majority of the plays, instead of having to switch off two or three guys between every down.

A lot has changed.