Rule Changes in the CFL!

We need some of the Rule Changes in the CFL for next year. I was at the Tiger-Cat & Bombers game in Guelph last night and as an ex football player myself noticed two rules that really stood out for both sides?

1. The No Yards Penalty, the infraction should be either 5 or 15 yards added on top of where the player ends up getting tacked not back from where he caught the ball, in essence the CFL is penalizing the receiving team not the other way around. If a kick returner brings back a ball 30 yards and it was a 15 yard infraction that should be tacked on from the end of the play??

2. The same with a interference call, the receiver who gets interfered with should have the penalty tacked on from the point of the foul not from the original line of scrimmage. So if a player runs a 20 yard route, gets interfered with the refs simply tack on 15 yards from the point of the foul??

3. Extra Point, I agree with many fans that the extra point could be taken out I'm either here nor there on it, Yes it's unique to the CFL but make it so you can pretty much force a return? Like No extra point and if the receiving team fields a kick return in the end zone and doesn't get the ball out the team could lose a safety of two points? If the Kicking Team kicks the ball through the end zone where it cannot be fielded by the receiving team, the kicking team gets penalized and the Receiving team takes over on their 45 yard line same as if the team kicked the ball out of bounds?

I think this will open the door to more returns and eliminate the extra point!!

On the 5 yarder, maybe. On the 15? 15 yards is already far longer than the average punt return, and if you asked coaches they'd happily take 15 yards on returns all day long.

2. The same with a interference call, the receiver who gets interfered with should have the penalty tacked on from the point of the foul not from the original line of scrimmage. So if a player runs a 20 yard route, gets interfered with the refs simply tack on 15 yards from the point of the foul??
Pass Interference already puts the ball wherever the interference occurred. In your example, they'd move the ball up 20 yards. There's no need to tack more on in addition to that, the penalty is extremely severe on anything other than a short pass.

The only penalties that get applied extra on top of the result of the play are major fouls, and they're special for a reason: because they tend to be dangerous.

I'd like to see the miniscule five yard penalty infraction (for No-Yards) when the ball strikes the ground before being touched by the receiving team to be amended.

seems near pointless as it is IMO.

Never liked the way this penalty was applied. The ball in the air/on the ground has nothing to do with this rule. Did the kicking team make an effort to get out of the 5 yard area? 5 yard penalty. Did they stand inside and make no effort to get out? 15 yard penalty. Give them a break if they try to comply and nail them if they step in as to say "I don't care I'm taking the penalty to negate the return.".

Ridiculous to add on yardage. The penalty gives them the ball at the point of the interference making the assumption that the receiver would have caught the ball. Now you want to assume he would have gotten 15 yard after the catch as well? Ridiculous.

Hate the rouge the way it is. Simple solution; if the ball is kicked out of the end zone no point, if the ball is fielded in the end zone and not run out by the receiving team give the rouge. Applies to all kicking situations. I detest the idea of rewarding a kicker with a point because he missed a 10 yard field goal just because it sailed out the back of the end zone.

This is how most penalties work - either take the result of the play, or the penalty. If the defence holds a player but the offence gets more than ten yards anyway, they take the gain. They don't get the gain plus the penalty. I think the only penalty I can think of the gets tacked onto any gain is unnecessary roughness.

We saw last night again that the single point convert is not guaranteed. But I really think it needs to be made more difficult somehow. Not sure how, though. Move the posts back? Add a second set of narrower uprights for converts? Move the kick back (although would affect two-point conversions)? Make the scoring player kick the convert?

I agree with your suggestion of eliminating the single point on field goals (and punts?) if the ball is unplayable, i.e. does not hit the ground in-bounds.

I think how it is now is fine, however since the ball progresses to the point of interference there is somewhat of a valid viewpoint that the yardage should be added to the receivers stats.

Disagree with adding it to his stats because he didn’t catch it. He might not have made the catch without the interference, we don’t know. The penalty only recognizes that he was interfered with enough to prevent him from being able to make the catch.

If you were not double teamed and mauled by the defense in an illegal manner you would have next to no chance of catching it either. Perhaps another couple of stats would be in order. Yards from penalty and incomplete due to penalty would be in order. Those yards and incompletes start adding up after a while and can sway items like QB efficiency.

If there is a penalty on a pass that goes incomplete, it doesn't count as a pass attempt. So it doesn't sway QB efficiency because it is as if the play never occurred.

as well, charging/penalizing the QB with an incompletion due to a flagrantly dropped ball seems unfair IMO.
unfortunately, this may be somewhat difficult to determine in absolutes without constant video reviews, although still a pet peeve for QB's no doubt.

*perhaps a statistical penalty (like fumbles) should be placed upon the receiver in a category called "Dropsies" which list the number of careless drops. :stuck_out_tongue:

you clearly don't know the rules despite your playing football

The 15 yard penalty IS tacked on. The 5 yard isn't but the 15 is 15 because it is a major foul. Major fouls are always tacked on.

PI is not a major foul so I'm not sure where you get the 15 yards from. PI is automatic first down at the point of infraction which is already harsher than the standard L10, especially on those deep routes. No need to pile on any more yards.
3. Extra Point, I agree with many fans that the extra point could be taken out I'm either here nor there on it, Yes it's unique to the CFL but make it so you can pretty much force a return? Like No extra point and if the receiving team fields a kick return in the end zone and doesn't get the ball out the team could lose a safety of two points? If the Kicking Team kicks the ball through the end zone where it cannot be fielded by the receiving team, the kicking team gets penalized and the Receiving team takes over on their 45 yard line same as if the team kicked the ball out of bounds?

I think this will open the door to more returns and eliminate the extra point!!

I think you are talking about the rouge, not the extra point. Either way, the rouge rules are perfect the way they are. There is a thread on this every year explaining all the reasons why. Furthermore, penalizing a kicking team 45 yards for kicking through the endzone I find beyond ridiculous. That's just me.

If you need any more help having all the rules explained to you, feel free to ask. I'm here for you.

In the NFL it does and I'm pretty sure it does in the CFL as well.

Umm no you don't get the yardage and the 15 on a 15yd no yards penalty, one or the other. Not both

1. Fifteen yards is an ample amount, and more then most returns. As far as the bounce, well that’s your returners fault for letting the ball bounce. It’s kinda mute anyways too as if the ball bounces, nearly always the opposing team has surrounded the returner. It still beats fair catches.

2. The problem here is you can’t add yards for a catch that might or might not have happened. In addition, in most cases PI is an automatic first down, which is often penalty enough. Also, while I hate to bring them up, the NFL plays PI the exact same way.

3. The single puts a stop free yards due to touchback, which is quite possibly the lamest rule in US Football. The single awards kicks based on field position, if the receiving team can’t play it, they shouldn’t have allowed the offense to get that close (or kept the game that close). It’s more true to the games origin in rugby. The only amendment to the single I support is removing the awarded point if a field goal is attempted and missed, and over time, it’s begun to bother me less and less because of the potential for field goal returns.

http://www.cfl.ca/page/game_rule_penalties

note - 15 and 25 yard penalties are tacked on to yardage gained as per the note on the bottom of linked to page

"*NOTE: The penalty shall be applied in addition to any yardage gained or score made."

people should at least try to make sue they know what they are talking about before speaking. It only took me 3 seconds to find this.

as for PI, as opposed to illegal contact with a receiver, check out the following proposal

[url=http://www.theprovince.com/sports/More+money+less+yards+pass+interference/8135068/story.html]http://www.theprovince.com/sports/More+ ... story.html[/url]

specifically

"The proposal would change the penalty for pass interference to specific yardage, likely 15 yards, and a first down. Current rules call for the ball to be advanced to the point of the foul, often 50 yards away depending on the arm of the quarterback, or a yard out of the end zone."

Personally, I am in favour of keeping this one as is, ball at point of foul.

as for rouges, my thoughts are this

non fieldable kicks that go throught the endzone without touching the ground or a player are no points. In this case, ball on 35.

fieldable punts in the endzone are still 1 pt if not returned. In this case, ball on 20 yard line.

fieldable missed FG’s are still 1 pt if not returned. In this case, ball on previous line of scrimmage or 20 yard line, which ever favours the recieving team.

gives incentive for kickers to have more control over their kicking
gives incentive to returners to try to run the ball out
gives incentive to coaches to rethink trying extra long FGs.

The fieldable missed fg may already be this, I cant seem to remember.

also as per cfl rules which appear to be unchanged, at least so this site says

they have PI as a 10 yard penalty with automatic first down, which is to say that the minimum for PI is 10 yards and the maximum is where the infraction occurred. Exceptions being inside the endzone and inside the 10 yard line.

That's not what the 2011 Rule Book says.

[b]RULE 5 - KICKING[/b] [b]SECTION 4 – KICK FROM SCRIMMAGE AND OPEN-FIELD KICK[/b] [b]Article 1 – Restriction On Offside Player (No Yards)[/b] (b) if the player does not allow five (5) yards to an opponent attempting to gain possession of the kicked ball. The 5-yard zone is determined by a circle with a 5-yard radius; with the centre point being the ball at the instant it is first touched. PENALTY - in field of play - L 15 from PBT (point ball touched) - in goal area - L 15, penalty applied at 10-yard line
So unless this rule has changed in the last two years (I really wish the league would post the latest rule book), I'd have to say the rule book trumps what's posted on the CFL website. You of all people should admit that, right?