Rule Changes - a minor victory.

While not completely satisfied with the new extra point rule - I feel it completely vindicates the position I have taken on this site for years now ... that the single point after was the most useless play in all of football ...

I'll be interested to see what the overall result will be in terms of success rate of the single, and rate of 2pt attempts ...I will especially be looking forward to late October games when the wind is swirling and the 2 point conversion will be the logical choice.

Totally agreed.

Yup. :thup:

Almost as useless as the point awarded for missing a field goal attempt. At least the single point attempt after a td is a bonus attempt for doing something, whereas the single point award is a point awarded for failing to do something.

But the single pt from a kick into the end zone while you have position is just that a kick, it doesn't matter if it's a punt or ball kicked off the turf. It has nothing to do with what some perceive as "failure" IMHO.

And a single pt or a few of them can be the difference between winning and losing so single points however earned can be very important. At least now it's a bit more difficult to earn a single point with a convert.

longtime: I don't see the failure aspect. As long as the ball is still within the field of play after a failed field goal attempt, the kicking team has to prevent the ball from being returned across the goal line by the receiving team to get the point. That adds to the excitement for me.
I think it will be even more exciting now that the TD point after convert attempt has to be made from the 32 yard line.
As far as the rest of the rule changes are concerned....I think they are OK and should allow the game to move faster. Especially the elimination of a coach demanding a measurement. That rule has often been used simply to buy time.
I am looking forward to seeing if these changes work as intended this season.

A single point is not awarded for missing a filed goal.

If the FG falls short, is a point awarded? No
If the FG is blocked, is a point awarded? No.
If a FG hits the upright, is a point awarded? No.
If a missed FG is returned out of the endzone by a returner, is a point awarded? No.
If a missed FG is kicked out of the endzone by the defense, is a point awarded? No.

A point is awarded for kicking the ball into the endzone and preventing the returning/defending team from getting the ball out of the endzone

And what happens when a missed field goal goes out of the endzone?

Longtime:

So, as you can see it is explicitly written in the rules, that this has absolutely nothing to do for "rewarding failure", and is more akin to the origins of the game dating 150 years ago when you could ONLY score Rouges, and Field Goals.

Just another wonderful nuance that makes our game superior to the American brand.

That's covered in my post. Read it again.

I'll agree that something needed to be done with the convert, but part of me feels that this the CFL doing the NFL a favor and piloting rules as they've discussed many times adjusting the convert and making PI challengable.

That said, I would have preferred the two points kept at 5 yards. Although this may be an attempt to make Fullback a more important position, 3 yards is just too little distance.

Not to belabor the point I was trying to make, here are a couple of references as to what I originally meant:
This is an article from Drew's Scratching Post April 22/13:

Radley: CFL shouldn't reward missed FGs with single

I missed a couple of things while I was in El Salvador, including this Scott Radley piece that started a discussion (OK, it was a good-natured argument) between Scott, Steve Milton and I. Scott's position is that awarding a single point off a missed field goal is tantamount to rewarding failure and should be eliminated. Steve and I disagreed. My position: the single rewards teams for getting close enough to try a field goal and, more importantly, is part of what makes the CFL unique and super cool. It's also part of the game's history and not to be trifled with lightly.

I understand Drew's point about getting "close enough" but to me that means that you managed to get close enough to earn the "opportunity" to attempt a field goal. If your attempt fails, well, too bad.

The following is a definition from Wiki:

Canadian football If the defense does not return a missed field goal out of the end zone, or if a missed field goal attempt goes through the end zone, then the kicking team scores a single point.

I suppose it all depends upon your personal point of view but I can't think off hand of any other sport that awards "points" for a team or individual failing to do something they intended.

Not really the same but in baseball if you purposely throw 4 balls and put a guy on first in order to get a double play or you don't want a home run hitter to hit a homer with some guys on base to kill you, you're sort of rewarding the defensive team for failure since generally, in theory, you shouldn't want to ever put a guy in scoring position for no reason. Also, in the American League, the league has taken the position the pitchers are failures at hitting so you reward all the teams and say you can put a designated hitter in his place. Again, not the same thing as the missed fg for a single but a bit of similarity.

I think in hockey they have gone to overtime since before road teams were simply playing for a tie at times and not trying to win ie. not using a more offensive attack near the end of the game and get a single point on the road and feeling good about that. Again, not exactly the same.

In basketball sometimes you don't want to hit a free throw near the end so it's a live ball so you can get possession if you out rebound the team and get 2 pts quickly if you need it. Desperation tactic yes, but I've seen it done.

It's more like pinball or pachinko. I may not get the ball in the hole that I want, but if I get the ball in s hole then I still get points.

Yes Mark, or darts, curling or archery I guess.

If the ball is being kicked after it touches the ground and is still considered live, there are two scoring conditions that exist. One is worth 3 points and one is worth 1 point.

The single point isn't a result of the 3 point attempt being missed, it is a pre existing way to score.

ticat1, that synopsis and logic is just too perfectly true for some to comprehend.

Well done. :thup:

Perhaps the person who contributed to the wiki on this thinks of the rouge that way, but it is incorrect. It should read:

Canadian football If the defense does not return a kicked ball out of the end zone, or if a kicked ball goes through the end zone, then the kicking team scores a single point.

Remember that a field goal attempt, whether held or drop kicked, is just a special kicked ball that provides another way to score - the field goal. It is a higher risk, higher reward kick than a punt, the higher risk due to being easier to block and easier to return if missed (due to the extra blockers added to reduce the chance of having it blocked). But it is a kick nonetheless, and therefore included in the rule for the rouge.

I'm thinking someone needs to fix the article in the wiki. (I just checked Wikipedia, and didn't find the statement you quoted. Which wiki did you find it in?)

Not to nitpick too much, but should there not be a third scoring condition of a returned kick for a touchdown resulting in 6 points for the other team?

Not to nitpick, but any time the ball is live there is a hypothetical opportunity for anyone to score any of a rouge, safety, field goal or touchdown.

In addition to the mentioned scoring items, the returning player could run back 85 yards only to drop kick it through the other uprights for a field goal. Said attempt could be missed for a rouge. The returning player could advance the ball from his own goal, backtrack into his own goal and be tackled for a safety. The returning player could run 85 yards, fumble.. have the ball recovered by the kicking team who in turn back track into their own end zone to be tackled for a safety. The return team player could kick the ball back out of his end zone to have it kicked back into his end zone where he fumbles and the original field goal kicking team scores a touchdown..:
https://youtu.be/d5BFaykcxGg