Rule Change Thread (post all your thoughts on potential rule changes here)

Exactly. There was some other discussion here or on Facebook, where the talk was how weird some of the CFL rules were. I wrote, "Well, how about in the NFL, where there are two goal lines?" and the other person thought I was crazy, so I had to point out the meaning of "field GOAL" :smiley:

Makes changes to improve the CFL. Don't make changes to appeal NFL fans because it will make no difference. People in Vancouver used to complain about the dome stadium. Has the semi-open stadium really affected attendance? Non-CFL fans will always make excuses.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed a lot more puny retutns this season. I guess the 15 yard penalty is working.

Not CFL rules directly, but get some rules passed at the grassroots level and they might work their way up to the big league.

2 Likes

[quote="TFC, post:1, topic:74556"]
...off the field to execute a punt. We have a great game with our motion and some of the other Canadian rules. Let's be honest, the punting game has had very little excitement ever since Gizmo Williams retired. And, it seems there is a flag thrown on every 2nd punt. The stats indicate punters average more yards in a game than quarterbacks - and to me - that's not

[quote="Pacific66, post:1616, topic:74556"]

[quote="TFC, post:1, topic:74556"]...off the field to execute a punt. We have a great game with our motion and some of the other Canadian rules. Let's be honest, the punting game has had very little excitement ever since Gizmo Williams retired. And, it seems there is a flag thrown on every 2nd punt. The stats indicate punters average more yards in a game than quarterbacks - and to me - that's not

One possible solution on too much kicking/punting is to place the goal posts at the back of the endzone (have a 15 yrs endzone rather than 20). When on the opponent's 40ish yard line, teams may go for 3rd and short more ofte n as seen in amateur Cdn rules football.

In relocating the goal posts to the back of the endzone, this will open up the endzone particularly where the post were.

Also, the rouge rule would be simple. If a punt of field goal miss remains playable in the endzone and the receiving team concedes, then a rouge is given. A punt or missed FG that sails or rolls out of the endzone is a dead ball, no rouge.

A rouge was given to Toronto in the 2nd quarter of the GC, missed non returnable FG, which was the difference in the game. A mistake was rewarded.

I don't mind the rouge. I don't see it as a mistake being rewarded. Both teams know that if the offense moves the ball within kicking range then a rouge is possible. The defense could have stopped the offense from getting into that zone but it failed to do so. I see the rouge as rewarding the offense for moving the ball into the zone. If they started in the zone because the other team didn't punt the ball far enough in the first place then the rouge is punishment for not being able to move the ball.

5 Likes

But you haven't allowed for eight or nine man football, played by smaller high schools in many states. Now we have 45 teams over five leagues. Can you sense my sarcasm?

Move the hash marks back to the original spots . They are to close for the field size.

1 Like

This may have already been mentioned but I am too damn lazy to read all 1600 comments, so if mine is a duplicate to someone else's, then just add my vote to that list.

Defensive Pass interference. It needs a serious overhaul. It has gotten to the point where if a defender looks at the receiver the wrong way, he gets a DPI. Ok, I exaggerate but you get the drift. I cannot be the only fan to have noticed that the threshold for DPI seems to be thinner and thinner. Let the guys play the damn game.

8 Likes

I'll second that.

Intentional grounding. Tighten up those rules.

2 Likes

In the NFL there is no penalty for accidental pass interference. I would like it to be similarly non penalized in the CFL.

It usually involves feet getting tangled, so why are the defender's feet found guilty and the receiver's innocent?

1 Like

The defense made the mistake of allowing the offense to successfully kick the ball through their goal. That failure by the defense and success by the offense warrants a score.

3 Likes

I'd like to see the gunners on the punt coverage team either have to wait till the ball is kicked before they can start running downfield, or have them line up 10-yards behind the line of scrimmage before the snap.

That would hopefully give more space to the punt returners, which would increase longer, more exciting returns and decrease no-yards penalties. It'd also increase the number of third-down gambles of coaches want to avoid the risk of a long return.

I'd also make all kicks have to land in bounds or the kicking team would be forced to re-kick further back. No exception to that rule for punts between the goal-line and 15.

I think one of the main reasons we've had so many QB-sneak TDs this season is because it's too easy for receivers to draw PI calls in the endzone. Those types of TDs are not usually as fun or exciting to watch as longer runs or passes.

1 Like

@Jon will like this:

Get rid of the ass fumble forward out of bounds and the possession by knocking the ball out of bounds.

Fumble forward out of bounds comes back to the point of the fumble- same as NFL.

Last possession in bounds determines possession - not some lucky volleyball knock the ball out of bounds

Big one for me: no blocking downfield on ANY pass until the ball crosses the LOS. Not because I hate those plays but watching for holding (that happens oh probably 100% of the time on those plays) is too difficult when there's 11 guys blocking at the snap and 5 officials.

We have video on every play for everything - use it to help the ref on the field and let the "command centre" calls be a consultation between the ref and the off field official. Play the video, play the audio, (in stadium and on TV) lets hear what and why.
Let the ref ask for a second look at "player 34" on the last play. Can't throw a flag for "I thought I saw" but if in a 10 second review the video guy can throw it on screen and run 2 seconds of video if there was an infraction - done and the call was right.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t see them ever becoming that open on reviews. Wasn’t it you who said they do something like what you describe in rugby and that it works well? Maybe one day.

You added the ridiculous “ass fumble forward” to the lexicon with my aptly named “ass fumble recovery”, which is equally ridiculous. A football doesn’t change possession like a basketball or soccer ball going out of bounds and the consequences are huge compared to those sports.

Ref involved works fantastically well in terms of consistency for players. The worst thing we do is lack consistency in calling penalties and have players confused on what is and isn't going to get a call.
Working it out between them live, where fans and players can hear the whats and whys - fantastic. When you know why you can stop doing things that get called for penalties.

1 Like