Rule chages one would like to see after Week 5

After 5 weeks of CFL football, here is what I'd like to see chage:

1. If the 4 point field goals are still done in NFL Euro, I going to abandon my rule for it in the CFL still there have been good aguments agaist it.
  2. Have the extra point kicks after TD be to the side like in Rugby, this makes it look harder to kick a goal, but not impossible to do (though Esk has told me it's hard the way it is now, I still wanted to say this) or abaondon the extra point kick and just make TD worth 7 points with a chace to go for a one or two convert point (I believe that's called an "Action Point") (like in the WFL (1974-1975)).
  3. Bring back the OT lose point but chage the points system to: 3 for a win, 2 for a tie or OT win, one for an OT lose, none for a lose.
  4. Keep the cross over, this makes the CFL more based on the league than divisions, unlike the other pro leagues of North America
  5. if a Missed FG is returned on the field, it should be spotted on the 25 yard line
  6. After watching tonights game in Hamilton, I'm want a rule to be if the ref interfences with a play (happened to the Cats early in the game), the ofence should get an automatic frist down.
  7. The Single should be extented to include droppunts/kicks on plays and Kickoffs that somehow go though the goal post should be worth a Single. This will increase the kicking game a little.
  8. If the ball hits the post, it should be still consider a live ball and can be picked up by any player.
  9. The No Yards rule needs a little fixing, maybe some NFL shit, I don't know, I get back to you on that. :oops:
  10. After much thinking over, I think that the way the Hash Marks are now is fine cuz the the feild is still rugbyist and the game is still Canadain debite the close Hash Marks which were intuduced after the WFL folded.
  11. The Import rule should be for what College you graduated from rather than natunaltiy if that isn't the way it is done now. That way players cxan play ether north or south of the brouder in college. As long as they play their senoir year and graduate in a Canadain college, they are consider an non import. Same should apply to players coming from the CJFL or other leagues.
  12. The season should have a 4 week preseason (begining with an All Star game with last years all stars, opional :smiley: ) then a 20 game regular season.
    Their should be a big Canadain darft before the NFL draft for Canadian players, then an small American one after the NFL one (teams can choice not to paticapate by cutting their picks and releasing them into the free agenty or whereever). The players from that will have a few weeks to traning before the preseason.

comments? and does anyone have anything else to add???

OH, and...

1. Expand all teams rosters to 42 players, 3 QB (1 import, 2 non import), 20 non import players, 19 import players.
  2. Have a storg but fair (maybe fleixble) Salary Cap

The thing I said before about the draft, What I'm trying to do is have the CFL darft not be at the meace of the NFL one cuz it does make the CFL look like a fram league.

I wolden't be oposed to no extra point kicks, but seems like a minor change

3. Bring back the OT lose point but chage the points system to: 3 for a win, 2 for a tie or OT win, one for an OT lose, none for a lose.
A verry minor change, OT isn't common enough for this to be big
4. Keep the cross over, this makes the CFL more based on the league than divisions, unlike the other pro leagues of North America
Stronglly agree
5. if a Missed FG is returned on the field, it should be spotted on the 25 yard line
I like the idea of a missed feild goal bieng spoted at the same plase it would if they gave the point. It encourages one of the most entertaining plays, returns. It also makes returners hussel to get out
6. [b]After watching tonights game in Hamilton, I'm want a rule to be if the ref interfences with a play (happened to the Cats early in the game), the ofence should get an automatic frist down. [/b]
I think the hed referee should be givien the ability to move the ball hould a referee interfere, but it would cause alot of complaining.
8. If the ball hits the post, it should be still consider a live ball and can be picked up by any player.
almost always bounses way out, but might make an interesting play once every couple of seasons
11. [b]The Import rule should be for what College you graduated from rather than natunaltiy if that isn't the way it is done now. That way players cxan play ether north or south of the brouder in college. As long as they play their senoir year and graduate in a Canadain college, they are consider an non import. Same should apply to players coming from the CJFL or other leagues. [/b]
Dislike the idea, you arn't canadien beacuse you went to a canadien university
12. [b]The season should have a 4 week preseason (begining with an All Star game with last years all stars, opional :D ) then a 20 game regular season. Their should be a big Canadain darft before the NFL draft for Canadian players, then an small American one after the NFL one (teams can choice not to paticapate by cutting their picks and releasing them into the free agenty or whereever). The players from that will have a few weeks to traning before the preseason. [/b]
Thats a long season, players will be tired come playoff time. The other problem is an injuriie in the all star game would cause problems for the season, if there is to be one at al it should be a week or 2 after the cup

I inculeded that you had to play your senoir year in an Canadain college to be a non import (like you had to be a resident for 7 years untill you can apply for citizenship, but much less hase). If you like, that can be extented to two years.

I feel like the preseason is too short, and needs to be extented cuz the player can make most of the error then rather than in the frist two weeks of the regular season. Plus, the season can start in late may which is good for the fans like me. The All Star game is opioninal but not necessaly.

and I add the Insteat Reply (or Challengers):

1. the teams will have 2 Challengers a piece (in a half or a game, I say in a half) which doesn't interfer with the one time outs that the teams already have.
  2. If a challenege is made, the refs have 90 secords to review a play before making a final decision in the play.

Kanga! I really like some of your ideas, all your instand replay ideas are great, keep the crossover hell yeah! but thats about it, the thing i disagree most with is changing the point system, and the import one. but i like some of your points!

Ok, Speaking of rules! in the Esks game there was a no yards penalty for 15 yards, why was it not a 5 yarder? im unclear on this rule.

As I understand the no yards rule, it's 5 yards for an "unintentional" no yards (player is trying to pull up, or is waiting, but a little too close, stuff like that) and 15 yards if the player makes no real effort to pull up or grant the five yards. Could be slightly different, but I think that's the gist of it.

I didn't see the Esks game, so I don't know the play you're talking about and whether this was the case or not.

If they catch the ball in the air its a 15 yarder, if it bounces then it's a 5 yarder

I think you are right GreenNgrey...I've heard referee's annouce No yards interference on bouncing no yards......Hey Kanga...Maybe use the Ask the Ref feature. RO1313 got a quick answer to his question.

kk28’s explination is the way I always interpreted the rule: 15 if caught, 5 if picked up on a bounce.

That's when they tackle the guy before he even picks up the ball.

I assume that this is a Kanga-Kucha rules discussion thread and will deem it as such. I have no problem with that, I'm just as eccentric as KK, but slightly more realistic.

Indeed. Like I said, dropkicks as 4 pointers are a possibility.

No to the action point. It highly devalued the kicker's role.
If you wanted to make the conversions like in rugby, you'd have to force teams to score tries (placing the ball on the ground). Not such a bad idea, but something that the game has been detached from for over 125 years.

Overtime should be A) played like a fifth quarter (no kickoff, no coin toss, just keep playing from where the ball was last dead), and B) first team to 8 points wins. Adopt rugby union-style points system:
5 points = Regulation win with 5 touchdowns
4 points = Regulation win OR Overtime win with 5 touchdowns
3 points = Overtime win OR Overtime loss with 5 touchdowns
2 points = Overtime loss OR Regulation loss with 5 touchdowns by less than 9 points.
1 point = Regulation loss with 5 touchdowns OR Regulation loss by less than 9 points
0 points = Regulation loss.

Remove the divisions entirely and play twice against everyone, plus two more games.

No, I just can't agree. Sorry.

No, refs are part of the game. Maybe a repeat of a down, but I think it should just be play-on. The other officials should have checks and balances on the one obstructing ref.

I don't see why not, really. It's not easy to score a rouge from your own half of the field.

I brought this up last time, it should be a single and leave it at that. It's a freebie touchdown if an offensive player can get down there.

I don't know either.

I'd be up for spacing them out to 19 yards apart instead of 17. Gradual changes.

College and/or nationality. Canadians playing in the NCAA should be given free reign in the CFL after graduation. The level of play in college football is very high.

4 weeks, with a single-elimination bracket involved. There will be a mediocre preseason cup (I wish the NFL would do this too). First week is a game between the two lowest ranked teams. Teams will play either 3 or 4 preseason games, most likely 3.

It's pretty good the way it is, because a Canadian that goes to the NFL will not be part of the CFL, that's a certainty. Having everything after the fact is good.

I can't really comment on this. I like the 40 player setup pretty well.

USE A TMO. Three challenges per game, with a man upstairs dictating what's going on. The Instant Replay in the NFL is a joke, make a TV Match Official (TMO) to deal with it. Refs can wear their headpieces.

Things I want:
1-most important and most relevant) Fewer yardage penalties. Minor penalties are played-on, but include an repeated down (1st down 10 turns into 1st down 7!), unless there is a possessional or territorial disadvantage (1st down 13 or turnover = redo play entirely).
2) I'd like to revamp the entire scoring system somehow. More on that later.
3) Metric field? 100 x 60.
4) Oh who knows.

I'm off to make an "I hate the new NHL rules" thread.

12. [b]The season should have a 4 week preseason (begining with an All Star game with last years all stars, opional :D ) then a 20 game regular season. Their should be a big Canadain darft before the NFL draft for Canadian players, then an small American one after the NFL one (teams can choice not to paticapate by cutting their picks and releasing them into the free agenty or whereever). The players from that will have a few weeks to traning before the preseason. [/b]
Thats a long season, players will be tired come playoff time. The other problem is an injuriie in the all star game would cause problems for the season, if there is to be one at al it should be a week or 2 after the cup [/quote] I forgot to meation that there sould be two byes in a 20 game season, so each team would play 18 games. I think that there should be 10 weeks when all 10+ teams play and 10 weeks where 2 teams sit out, the frist 5 4 game weeks can be earily and the other, late in the season. You get the idea.

Sorry for the confusion.

USE A TMO. Three challenges per game, with a man upstairs dictating what's going on. The Instant Replay in the NFL is a joke, make a TV Match Official (TMO) to deal with it. Refs can wear their headpieces.

OK, maybe, but I think 3 is a little bit too many. Definaly should be a man upstairs or TMO.

4 weeks, with a single-elimination bracket involved. There will be a mediocre preseason cup (I wish the NFL would do this too). First week is a game between the two lowest ranked teams. Teams will play either 3 or 4 preseason games, most likely 3.

I don't agree abou a preseason cup cuz the preseason is for players to iron out there bugs, for chouchs to make up their rosters, and for betteris to bet whom will win the season championship at the end. But maybe the CFL All Star game (if there will be one) can be the highlight of the preseason and would be appoprate since players don't put their all into it any way.

However, I still like to see the 4 point field goal rule tried in an Exhibution game, just so that the league can say "we tried that rule and we didn't like the way it was working so we shelled it"

Thanks everyone for agreeing with some of my ideas.

Sorry Kanga
I agree with none of your rule changes especially anyone that tries to make it more like rugby. I can see you love both games as I love both Football and Baseball But you will never see me suggest that for the extra point The QB should throw the ball at a player who will try to bat it thought the uprights.

Getting a point for an OT lose, People frown on the so-called missing a field goal point yet want a point for losing a game. I can’t figure that one.

I hate the crossover. If you are in one division but have a better record, live with it.

Missed field goals stay like they are. Right now there is a lot of strategy in running it out or giving it up. All you will see them do it dive over the line to get the 25.

No yards is fine as it is

Hitting the upright s also fine as it is. For the amount of times it happens it is not worth changing .

Finally a cap cannot be flexible if its a cap.

Anyway I love the game as it is and I feel it does not need to be changed except for penalizing out of bound punts.

Maybe your right abou the missed field goal retuen to the Line of summle is a bad thing, I added that cuz people said it works.

I disagree with the Out of Bounds punt cuz the wind could be a factor and other things.

I also like to meation on this topic abou my thing abou how I want to chage the West logo's color to "Green", however I haven't seen the logos recently in the game or on this site, I don't what has happened to them, but I want to mension that here.

Well If they are penalized if a kickoff goes out of bounds regardless of the wind now so why would it matter for punts?

I would like to see that rule change because there are so many exciting returneds in the league right now and it keeps the ball out of their hands.
There is not much that is more exciting than a 60 yard punt return