Rugby Seven (7)s

I cant follow a sport where the games are only 14 minutes long. sheesh

1 Like

What's the maximum length of a game you can follow?

10 minutes?

5?

:laughing:

ps Are their games really that quick?

thats what I hear. Two seven minute halfs.

Hmm . . . how many halves do they play per game?

:thinking:

yeah, I thought that didnt look right just as I was hitting the button.

Heh, I think "halfs" is fine in this context. I was just joking about the actual rules. I guess the sport is designed to make short-term tournaments easier to organize?

Exactly that - it ensures you can finish a pool stage in a day and then have the various placement play-offs in another 1-2 days, plus the short games mean every match can be hosted in one venue.

Hence why Sevens in an Olympic sport because the entire tournament can be squeezed into the necessary short window.

Plus for anyone who hasn't seen it, the ball is rarely out of play, so although the games are only 14 minutes the players will be active (either flat out running or positioning themselves) for virtually the entire 14.

1 Like

it should be seven 7 minute periods and they can platoon players out without stopping the action like hockey does.

As for tournaments, if every other team sport still has tournaments including in the olympics, then rugby 7's should be able to do so while playing longer.

On the other hand, as is would make for good cfl and nfl halftime shows

I found it very entertaining
Watched it when it was on TV at BC Place
It was packed with many nations supporters all dressed in costumes'
Looked like fantastic atmosphere

7 players aside on a full sized rugby field, 2 - 7 minute action packed non stop halves
Game is over in about 25 minutes!
10 minute break and another then game starts with 2 other teams playing
They play about 6 - 8 games a day

It also gives a huge boost to the nations regarded as "second tier" in the 15s game, because focusing on Sevens may turn them into a major power in that variant of the sport, the obvious example being Fiji who won their first ever Olympic medal (gold, naturally) in Sevens.

The end result was a victory parade, a special public holiday and the coach being named an honorary traditional chief.