Roy Finch arrested...

…thing is, based on what is known there no reason to believe it is either…

Please explain…what is it that is “known”?

a man ran from the cops and got taken down.

Haha…well that seems to be true.

..basically, everything else is pure speculation at this point

That’s exactly right, but you missed my point, which was made in response to a different post that stated “I’m thinking that maybe Mr Finch might of had a few other more potent chemicals in his system than just some harmless THC.”

...okay, but when the point goes from other chemical substances to racism in the blink of an eye and with no apparent connection you can, I hope, see how the point can be lost...

...I think all we can take away from this right now is what is seen in the video and that the police feel they have enough to charge Finch with some crimes....anything else (racism, additional drugs, whatever he was doing leading up to the arrest, etc.) is speculative...

Yup agree.

Does seem that this city either has a lot of cops, aren’t very busy or they just happened to be in the same neighborhood at the same time.
10 or more quickly in there? 5-6 cars?

I do think Hufs standard response was correct. Same as he did last year for Tommie Campbell who they let walk at season’s end.

Roy Finch was underused in the Grey Cup. He caught only a couple of passes for gains but a long one was nullified for holding. You can see the rot setting in in Calgary. Character, character, character.

They were probably all at the local neighbourhood Donut Shop .:smiley:

In fact here is a new recently released photo from across the street from the complex taken just minutes before Finch got arrested . ;D

You saw no racism in the purely speculative comment that he probably had other drugs in his system other than cannabis? Would that same comment have been made if the man was white? I doubt it.

Racism is rampant in the U.S. and particularly in police forces. It influences just about every single police action involving a person of colour. Perhaps if you lived here and read near-daily reports of black folks being gunned down in front of a Wal-Mart for simply driving a cousin to the store, or being yanked off a train for being young and black and then executed in the back while laying face down and hand cuffed, or for standing in their back yard holding a cell phone, or for running away after being detained for j-walking, or for calmly standing beside their vehicle after being pulled over for driving while black, or for reaching for their wallet after being commanded to produce I.D., you would have a different point of view.

These aren’t isolated incidents. They are common, every day events in this country. The very first thing anybody should think about when a black man is arrested is not what drugs he was on, but what the motivation was for arresting him in the first place. Perhaps it was justified, but all too often it is not.

I don’t know all the facts of the case, and nobody else here does either, but I do know that the police always have the burden of proof, and that the man is innocent until proven guilty — at least that’s how it’s supposed to work. They need to show that the why and how of his arrest was justified, if they can, and often they can’t.

…nope, none at all.

…did anyone else see racism in bobo’s statement?

Forget the video. Pretend you never saw it. At worst, all it shows is excessive force. We know…

1 - someone called in a concerning activity
2 - police responded
3 - at some point the person that they approached ran
4 - police set up a perimeter and isolated him
5 - He was then taken down with brute force

now…between point 2 and 3
2b - police supposedly smelt pot. considering this was outside then I am going to go out on a limb and say that while it might not be on video, it should be on audio. It should be clearly heard if they asked him if he had drugs, if he responded, if they asked him to step out of the vehicle, what his response was, if they tried forcing him out.
2c - they then attempted to arrest him
2d - he may or may not have swung at the police
3 - he definitely fled

2b - 2d are, for us, hearsay. What in there, even if in his favor, justifies fleeing? The police may have been wrong in their actions…sure…no idea. Does that justify fleeing?

Erm…why is there reason to suspect it is racism? Because they responded to a complaint? It wasn’t like they were out looking for this and approached the guy. Because they smelt pot and responded to that? Should they have ignored it?

For those that might’ve missed my original post . It is quoted above , believe me there was no intent at racism in what I wrote . I stated that like others I have no idea what actually happened here or what led up to the events of Finch’s arrest .

All I was speculating was the fact that maybe Finch had some other form of illegal substance in the pot he was supposedly smoking to make him allegedly act out in the way that was reported in assaulting a police officer and fleeing the scene . Perhaps I should’ve stated that maybe that other chemical maybe PCP or Angel Dust was perhaps laced in with the weed and that would be a plausible explanation although strictly speculative on my part as to what had him in an allegedly agitated and violent state when the police originally approached him .

Who knows.
The defense will zero in on the phone in complaint. There HAS to be a recording of that. We assume that.

A black friend of mine suggests that there is a large disconnect in thinking between white folks and black folks regarding cops. To many black folks they see cops as an " occupying force" within the community. Not a helpful presence.

Anyway as I said before Finch is fortunate that those 10 cops did not kill him.

I hope he gets back to Calgary and stays in Canada and smokes pot with freedom.

Sounds like he’s got earlier legal probs too.

Mostly nonsense. If he was approached by police, got out of his vehicle, and let them handcuff him, as normally police due while they investigated the scene, AND if all is a minor offense he would have been released with a minor citation on the spot. However running away and fighting police is better??
Give it a break. How that don't impress me. Play that card every single time. There fault!!!

I think that anyone claiming racism in what you said is just looking to play the racism card which is truly sickening.

Are the racism card and the black card two different things?

Hoping brianjoxx will know…

Well there goes our return game. Is it just me or does every off season for the Stamps bring news like this? someone is either running from cops, caught with drugs or shot.