Rourke to begin NFL workouts: edit - Rourke signs with the Jaguars

Help educate an American fan folks what is the salary difference from say a CFL starting QB to a NFL 2ed or 3rd string guy? Would he take practices roster spot? I watched him a few times in college and was shocked he wasnt picked up as a FA....as a sidenote his brother looks like a player as well.

1 Like

Right now you make an NFL roster you make more than in the CFL.

Many players who make a practice roster in the NFL still make more than they would in the CFL.

Of course even being on a CFL roster and being cut as an experienced player can be a better situation than having to try to find another practice roster in the NFL or then go look around the lower spring leagues for work.

These are general observations of course and there are and can be individual exceptions.

There is also more to the tale for the decision than mere money.

1 Like

Right a Canadian kid can be a Canadian hero, but if the difference in salary is a large one I get it.

The salary difference isn’t just large, it’s MASSIVE.

1 Like

[quote="PorkyPine, post:126, topic:82558"]

The salary difference isn't just large, it's MASSIVE.

[/quote] would B.C. still holds his rights or is he a FA if he dosen't get picked up in the NFL?

He is signed by the Lions for another year, through the 2023 season, but has the right, through a CFLPA clause, that he can try out for the NFL. If he fails to get signed by the NFL he can complete his contract with the Lions. He won’t be a CFL free agent until the 2024 season.

1 Like

According to 3DownNation, Zach Collaros is the CFL’s highest-paid player at Cdn$ 550,000 - so that’s roughly 410,000 US

An NFL practice squad player on the minimum P.S. salary (assuming he lasts the entire season) is on 207,000, if he’s on the maximum (19k per week) he’ll earn nearly US$ 360,000, so the CFL’s highest-paid STARTER is only earning a little more than that. Obviously, crack even the bottom of the roster and a QB will be on at least double that, for other players their salary will be multiplied further from anything the CFL can offer.

This is why all the hand-wringing over “give Rourke a MASSIVE contract” will never work, because a massive contract by CFL standards is going to be at the lowest end of the NFL payscale anyway, then think of the domino effect and/or resentment that builds - if Rourke is on 1mil, why can’t Collaros or BLM have wages like that? Or does Rourke only get that because he’s Canadian?

4 Likes

The CFL isn’t a niche sport. It’s been active since the 50’s.

The NFL is a niche sport in Europe. The NFL doesn’t have franchises, a league(the NFL pulled the plug on NFL Europe in mid 2000’s citing it was costly) set-up in Europe or have Euros playing in the NFL. The European fans that attended that German game had countless other NFL fans that weren’t connected to the Bucs or Seahawks

You’re not a CFL fan if you spew that nonsense

You do realize that they were empty seats at the Grey Cup last night eventhough it was sold out.

Those people missed out on a great finish.

I am more of a fan than you will ever know.

Unlike you, I am more realistic about the expectations.

3 Likes

American football is to Germany what baseball is to Japan. American soldiers brought it over, introduced it, and it's actually extremely popular even if no Americans know about it. There is a domestic American rules football league in Europe and the top German teams pull in the most fans and money.

3 Likes

Do try to follow the German League as much as I can.

Not sure who won the league championship game.

2 Likes

A new disease? Flu foot.

2 Likes

That empty seat was bought and sold. Whoever purchase said ticket can do whatever they wish. Those empty seats high lighted dissatisfied Rider fans that their team didn’t show up for a home Grey Cup game.

Be a fan then, don’t be a negativist like Bethel Thompson was talking about.

I’m an optimist. I want to the best for the CFL

3 Likes

Best of luck to Rourke in his tryouts. Although I have no idea how he can get any kind of fair assessment unless that foot is totally healed. His ability to use his legs has been one of his strong suits.

1 Like

It’s arguably the only thing in his corner here. Mobility is a requirement for quarterbacks in the NFL now and if his mobility’s hampered, that might be curtains.

A SMART team might well be willing to invest in him by offering MORE THAN the minimum $207,000 USD (currently $277K CDN) for 18 weeks spent on the practice squad in order to fully re-hab and develop him, with the option to promote him in-season if they so choose.

1 Like

I am a CFL fan but I know the truth when I see it… And no conspiracy truth at that

It’s a fact, Jack. Look at the evidence

this sucks for his younger brother Kurtis

2 Likes