Rourke, Burnham lead Lions in comeback win over Stamps

CALGARY — In Saturday’s highly anticipated matchup between the BC Lions and the Calgary Stampeders, it was a 20-point fourth quarter surge that helped the Lions secure a 41-40 win on a last second field goal attempt.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/08/14/rourke-burnham-lead-lions-in-comeback-win-over-stamps/

These are heady days for Lions fans, from rags to riches in one off season, it's like winning a lottery. Congrats to burn'em Burnham.

3 Likes

Why are so many BC fans failing to show up at BC Place Stadium when their epically entertaining team comes to play? You’d they’d best make the most of their good fortune while it lasts. Rourke might be gone next to the NFL next season.

That’s a question for the whole CFL isn’t it? Prairie cities are really the only ones with consistent good attendance. We do well compared to TO & EE. My own theory is major urban centers have large minority immigrant populations, most of whom are not familiar with our game, hence the rise of North American soccer over recent years. And home theaters/ big screens have made watching the game at home a much more enjoyable experience. Toss in a plague & inflation too. Many fans like myself just live too far away from our stadiums to go to the games. On the bright side we’ve still had the biggest CFL crowd this season.

3 Likes

It takes time to rebuild the trust in the fans to come back. Amar Doman has said the rebuilding of the fan base will take several seasons. Apparently the fan base is edging back up slowly. With the Riders in town on the 26th that could be an interesting game for attendance. Not positive but I’ve heard Rourke’s contract runs through 2023.

2 Likes

You make some good points and I agree with you. I think you can also had the current economic client and a lot of fans at the moment just can’t afford to go to any games regardless of which league your talking about.

1 Like

I have always been impressed with the marketing strategy that Bob Young brought to the Ticats when he purchased the team in 2004, starting with calling himself the Caretaker. It took a few years to get to a winning season, but the crowds at old Ivor Wynne were great from day 1 of the Bob Young era, and have only grown since THF was opened in 2014. Make it an event, not just a game. This is the model a successful owner needs to follow.

3 Likes

Well that is what Doman is trying out here. He has street parties before games. I’ve heard a rumour that their might be some sort of big tail gate event happening this season also. Lots to take in on game day.

1 Like

That is great to hear! Street parties, tailgates, pre game or half time concerts. Lots of community events. Between Amar and Rourke, it should become a hot ticket in Vancouver.

2 Likes

Yes the pregame activities have ramped up with bands, BBQ and beer gardens. There is still some reluctance for many to come to the game, even with the dome roof open to the blue sky! It has been many difficult years watching my team struggle and aside from the most loyal of fans, it is still a difficult draw. They are putting a fantastic product on the field, so exciting, so compelling. (But PorkyPine makes some excellent points to explain our fickle west coast nonattendance) They are discounting a lot of tickets for young fans and families which I think is a good strategy. Just keep winning and (hopefully) they will come!

2 Likes

The Week 10 matchup of the Lions-6-1 versus the Stamps-5-2 was a sensational game. :star_struck: Once again the Calgary Stampeders could not generate a first down on their last possession, :thinking: which would of given them the much needed victory. :interrobang:

P.S. Ever since their 2 Grey Cup Defeats-This Stamps team finds new ways to Loose. When you surrender 20 points in the final frame, you deserve to LOOSE. :bangbang:

Check out the "Chucky Doll" at the 25 second mark!

2 Likes

I noticed Chucky on the sideline during the broadcast. He’ll be turning up for all the games, probably on the payroll by now. I wonder if he gets his own seat on the plane?

Edit/ Actually ‘Pennywise the Clown’ from Stephen King’s It

2 Likes

Chucky always gets his own seat on the plane. That’s the way it works when you fly ‘Cursed Class’. :grinning:

1 Like