Looks like things are going bad to worse for the lowly riders, on a weekend they were celebrating the 40th Anniversary of their 1st Grey Cup win in 1966. Kenton Keith is under police investigation for an assault on Canada Day.
Oh that, and... LAST PLACE.
Team confirms Kenton Keith questioned in connection with nightclub incident
Published: Saturday, July 08, 2006
The Saskatchewan Roughriders have confirmed one of their players is under police investigation in connection with an incident at a Dewdney Avenue nightclub last weekend in which a nightclub bouncer was injured.
Roughriders president and chief executive officer Jim Hopson said Friday night that running back Kenton Keith is the player being investigated.
"That's what I've been informed, but I'm like you,'' Hopson said. "We're just sort of waiting to find out more information at this point in time.''
Several police cruisers were sent to the Soho Restaurant and Club at about 2:35 a.m. on July 2, after calls about a disturbance.
Police arrived to find someone injured at the scene, and the person was taken to hospital.
Staff Sgt. Rick Bourassa of the Regina Police Service said the force is not releasing any details about the incident or the injuries.
"The reason we're not going to talk about details is that we don't have them nailed down," Bourassa said. "Our guys are still investigating and they're talking to lots of people, and I don't want to say something that's not right."
Soho manager James Dupuis confirmed a bouncer had been injured in the incident, but would not comment further while the matter is under police investigation.
Keith is a fourth-year member of the Roughriders, who are to play the Calgary Stampeders in today's Canadian Football League game at Mosaic Stadium. Hopson was uncertain as to Keith's status for the 5 p.m. contest, noting that he had not discussed that with Roughriders general manager Roy Shivers or head coach Danny Barrett.
The Roughriders faced a well-publicized legal issue last year after linebacker Trevis Smith was charged with two counts of aggravated sexual assault. Smith, whom the Roughriders opted not to re-sign after he became a free agent in February, is out of football while he awaits trial in the fall.
"We're always concerned about our players and the reputation we have in the community,'' Hopson said. "So, of course, anytime there's an investigation we're going to be concerned. We want to know what the disposition is.
"You want to be careful not to jump to any conclusions and hopefully we'll have some resolution to this fairly quickly because what we don't need is rumours and innuendo and that kind of thing going around the community.''