Rookie QB Rourke: 'I'm really just focused on helping this team win'

His nationality being an issue is nothing new for BC Lions quarterback Nathan Rourke.

Rourke, who was born in Victoria and played three years of high school football in in Oakville, Ont., has faced plenty of questions about being a Canadian quarterback in the CFL since his surprise start last week in the BC Lions season-opening loss against the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/08/11/rookie-qb-rourke-im-really-just-focused-helping-team-win/

With Reilly hurt darn right Rourke is going to be a big story. Personally I would try to get a vet in to back up Reilly & give Rourke more time to grow into the game. Maybe he can rise to the occasion, but trial by fire is one heck of a way to learn your trade. I'd really like to see him worked a little more slowly into a back up then possibly a starter role. As a Lions fan & a proud Canadian of course I'm pulling for him.

Their are two schools of thought, you can throw him in like Peyton Manning and let him learn from his mistakes or let him sit on the bench like Aaron Rodgers, who probably should have been starting over Favre.

The kid is fine, he just needs to play and learn from his mistakes. I don't know of any veteran QB, that gives them a better chance to win over Rourke?

1 Like

.The kid is fine, he just needs to play and learn from his mistakes. I don't know of any veteran QB, that gives them a better chance to win over Rourke?
[/quote]
It seems the Lions are agreeing with you, & he did show some good promise last Friday.

Isn't BC over their cap space by now? I don't think they can afford to go out and get another 'good' quarterback. Mind you if Rourke keeps improving like a mutant and whups the Stamps then he'll be the 'good' quarterback. Think of what BC could do with their roster if they could unload Riley's huge salary. I'm scared for the rest of the league just thinking about it.

1 Like

Think of what BC could do with their roster if they could unload Riley's huge salary. I'm scared for the rest of the league just thinking about it.

I think they're already suffering repercussions for his salary. I like Reilly, he's a warrior, but I don't like his salary for the aforementioned reasons.

I would consider bringing in a vet if Reilly is out long term, but not if he's only out 1 or 2 games. Salary wise, if Reilly is out long term they can 6-game him and he'll come off the cap for 6 games so there would be more than enough budget for a backup.

1 Like

I like him too, but he's making his coach look... weak. Who's really in charge over there? The coach or the highest paid guy on the team?

1 Like

The coach. Reilly is a total team first guy in every way.

Then the next time head coach Campbell announces to TV Land that Rourke's starting, Reilly better not make Campbell look like he's 'out of the loop' by trotting out on the field two minutes later. Sometimes it's all about appearances.

You do know Reilly restructured his contract in the off season,
He makes the same as Bo Levi @$525K/szn down from $725K/

The breakdown on the Mike Reilly deal: !
2021: 525k in hard money including a signing bonus of over 350k to be paid early in the new year.
2022: 575k. !
He also gets the full 250k from 2020 that had been guaranteed and was being grieved.

I did not know that Grover. Wanna hear something crazy? Some soccer player also named 'Mike' in Europe just signed a six year contract with Manchester worth 100 million pounds. Suddenly things don't seem so out of whack over here.

The down side to being such a small friendly league is the unfortunate fact that the big bucks just aren't there to hand out to many players. One huge contract sends ripples out through the whole team. Rourke is doing his best for a raise anyways.