Rookie Camps open in cities across Canada

TORONTO — It’s always a sign of spring starting to shift to summer when rookies first take the field in CFL cities across Canada.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/05/11/rookie-camps-open-in-cities-across-canada/

Let the season begin! Put on the gear, start pounding on each other, man on man to earn a spot on your team. Not quite the start of the real season, but it's getting close enough to smell now. I love the smell of football in the morning!

2 Likes

Ditto.

But how much actual ‘pounding’ is allowed in practice these days? Back in the 1970 - 1980’s they used to smack each other silly.

1 Like

But how much actual 'pounding' is allowed in practice these days? Back in the 1970 - 1980's they used to smack each other silly.

If I was one of these young bucks I’d need to pound on something. I guess the practice dummies will have to do😁.

1 Like

You know it’s kinda funny, as teenager I never looked forward to that ‘first hit’ (as it turned out, most of us didn’t). So before stepping out onto the field we’d beat each other into game mode (it worked for me). A couple hours later we’d be bruised and happily shaking hands with the other team. Two days later we’d all be back on the practice field mostly healed up and ready to go at it again. The hardest thing for me to get through was showing up for practice late in the fall when the weather got cold and damp.

2 Likes

Good information article. Sounds like anybody who is anybody will be in Kamloops for spring camp.

I always found the worst practices were the two a days in August getting ready for the season to start in September…. hot stuff