Ron Lancaster Tribute

I was 11 in 66. Just starting to get into playing touch ball. Had no interest in watching sports on tv. One day, nothing else to do, someone had a cfl game on the tube. Black and white tv. I sat down and for the heck of it, said I was cheering for the white guys. They won the game, then went on to win the cup, and I was a LancasterRider fan, even though I lived in vancouver. Lancaster is a major reason I am the CFL fan I am today. After his career was done, what a pleasure it was to turn on the games when he was in the booth. HIs voice became a thing of warmth that made watching a game an extra good experience. I have never stopped missing him in the booth. It just hasnt been the same. Lancaster has always represented the warmth about the CFL, the feel goodness about the CFL. He is not the only one, but for me, the major one, the long time one. When I think of Lancaster the player, I am 11 again. No one had come close to being as big a part of my CFL life. Thanks for staying in Canada Ron. Thanks for being you.

Awsume Footbal YouBet! These are the stories that are handed down that you remember 4 life! My uncle from Sask has the highest regard for him and said the farmers back in the day gave him the nickname ROCKIN RONNIE! I think those who call themselves true Rider fans re-educate themselves with old Heros like Ron who ultimately provide the foundation for what current success is built!

Wow, in 1966 i was -28, lol. I was born in 1994

1966 hmmmmm guess I was non existant! I don’t feel worthy … but since I was hatched in 1977! I’m like a fresh database!
just because I’m green don’t make me stupid! acctualy I’m born/bred and black N orange!

Nowadays that would be about 4 players on each team…hahahah

That’s right, ignore all the great people who have be welcomed to the Order of Canada and bash its honour in the name of personal political bias and two perceived (by you) bad apples. Well done.

The Order of Canada is a GREAT honour. It doesn’t matter that a few (very few, all told) appointees are controversial, because it’s not just about a popularity contest - though some unthinking folks would rather it be as superficial as the Miss Canada pageant.

These are people, like them or not, who contributed mightily to their country and community. Of COURSE they’re not universally loved, and thank heaven for that, because there wouldn’t be ANY appointees give that impossible standard.

You bring SHAME to Canada by besmirching the name of such a great honour as the Order of Canada. You want to change it? Then DO SOMETHING worthy of influence and lobby for change, instead of whining about it, like a self-righteous zealot, on a football message board that wants to give one of it’s own the highest honour in the land.

Great post rpaege, although Lancaster is not a Canadian by birth, he more than deserves to be honoured with the Order of Canada. He has made a great contribution to this country-- he even called a basketball game by himself at an Olympics(I think) when he was working for CBC. I still regard the Order as a great honour, one Ron truly deserves.

Thanks Sambo. I know that not everyone that has received it is perceived by everyone to be worthy, and even some who have received it don't seem to fathom its great significance, but despite appearances to the contrary it's not handed out lightly and it has quite a strict nomination and review process.

I can also tell you that it is held in VERY high regard outside the country as well. It really is one of those feathers in the cap that opens doors world wide. So, as honours go, there really isn't any civilian honour higher than the Order of Canada.

We should be proud of the vast majority of those who have received it, and we should never let a few bad examples tarnish its luster for all the rest.

Like so many others, I grew up watching Ron Lancaster on TV. He really is a warm and friendly face and so beloved by so many. I mean, even if he isn't Canadian, we should welcome him as one of us because he chose our home to be his. He is the all-Canadian story personified really. He came to Canada, like so many millions before him, and got a second chance. He made the most of it and has gone on to touch the hearts and minds of generations. If he isn't worthy of the Order of Canada, nobody is.

Hey they let the terminator be the gov of California! give Ron what he has earned! obviously guys like him and ackles are 1 in a million and I consider myself lucky to be here to appreciate what they have done 4 Canadian football! Be thankfull you get to cheer for your team because of guys like this!

The Order of Canada is...well, let's just say I'm against it...I'd tell you how I really feel but I KEEP FORGETTING THAT IMPRESSIONABLE YOUTH AND EVEN YOUNG KIDS MIGHT BE READING THIS FORUM....and see I have a real issue controlling MY VULGAR VOCABULARY....so let's just leave it there m'kay...

You've made your opinion, that the OOC is worthless because you hate a couple of its recipients, abundantly clear spidey99. There is no need to continually reiterate. We get it.

....seconded...

officially acceptable/legal/certified/registered … whatever! I think what people feel in there hearts and minds about a guy like Ron carry more credibility than some stale rule! get over it spidey! the guy is well loved and well respected by those who love and know this game! and If you don’t get it its your loss!

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65348

Unconfirmed report, but still sad news.

It's official:

[url=http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=249878&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main]http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=249878& ... Story_main[/url]

Rest in Peace, Mr. Lancaster.

Mabye to some of you that nominating Lancaster would restore some the lustre than the OOC has lost… I still think it a great honour. If we did that for all awards, there would be very few in the HOFs of hockey, baseball, football, soccer, basketball, tennis, golf and auto racing.

Wether its the OOC or any other civilian honour, it should be awarded based on their courage of conviction and belief, not on wether any particular individual agrees with it or not.