Ron Lancaster-CFL's Johnny U

I recently finished reading the book "The Life & Times of Jonhny Unitas". Seeing those old pics of Johnny U remined me of another flat top wearing qb from Pennsylvania, Ron Lancaster.

I wondered why there are not more books of some of the retired CFL legends such as Lancaster.

If there books out there that I am unaware of, I would like to hear about them.

All the best to Ron Lancaster by the way.

Interesting statistics. on Unitas_“Unitas was traded to the San Diego Chargers in 1973, and retired from football in 1974. He finished his 17 NFL seasons with 2,830 completions in 5,186 passes for 40,239 yards and 290 touchdowns, with 253 interceptions. He also rushed for 1,777 yards and 13 touchdowns.”

Vs Ron Lancaster_"The Rough riders won 170 games with Lancaster at quarterback before he retired after 19 seasons as a player. In all of seasons with the Rough riders, the team had only one losing record, 4-11-1 in 1978, which was Lancaster’s final season as a quarterback. In fact of his 19 seasons he had only one other losing record, that in 1962 with the Ottawa Rough Riders at 6-7-1.

He is now third all-time on the CFL’s career list with 3,384 pass completions, 6,233 pass attempts and 50,535 yards passing and fell to second all-time with 333 touchdown passes in 2003, when Toronto’s Damon Allen surpassed Lancaster’s mark. Since then Danny McManus moved into second place all-time with passing yards with 53,165. Lancaster won the Schenley Award as most outstanding player in 1970 and 1976 and was a finalist for the award in 1966. He was an All-Canadian in 1970, 1973, 1975 and 1976 and a Western all-star in 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1975 and 1976. "
In about the same length of carrier Lancaster passed for Over 50,000 yds. And did it throwing the Spalding j5v http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/5743/rules.htm

I can throw a regulation sized CFL football(modern) about 35-40 yards... The old ball (j5v) I can barely throw 20 yards..... my hand just isn't big enough to grip the damm thing.

The old ball (j5v) I can barely throw 20 yards
seems unusual.

I have always been very weak armed for a healthy male. Distance throwing was always my achilles heel as far as football goes. Yet I could throw my j5v for about 30, with lots of air under it.

you probably have big hands.
In grade six I placed second in both the punt and the pass in the Punt,Pass,and Kick competition.. I believe both distances were about70-80 feet.. We used medium sized footballs. I remember back then not even being able to throw a J5V even 10 yards... I assumed that my hands had grown and that is why I can now throw a regulation CFL ball quite far... However...the other day my 105 pound lab dug a football out of the bush with Doug Mitchell's autograph on it. The ball is now an ornament...cause after washing and inflating it I took it out for a chuck with a freind of mine and yes I can only throw the thing 20 yards.

actually, I have very small hands for a male, even for a 5’8" male as I am.

At 53, with a bad shoulder, I now have trouble throwing my j5v for 10 yrds because of the pain, but it surprises me that a healthy younger male would have problems throwing at least 30. wierd.

maybe it's the laces

Spalding still makes a J5V, but it appears they market to US high schools.. I assume it's smaller these days. Anyone know where I could dig up an old one?

how much you wanna pay, and when you gonna be in town??

probably not as much as you want, and probably not as soon as I wish.

well, I have a 15 to 20 yr old ball. Its not really been used nearly as much as I would have likes, but one can tell its not new. IF you were in town, and you wanted to pay more than a new wilson would cost, it could be done. Since my son has not followed in my football ways and interest, and since I can no longer play, it is almost painful to see it and be reminded of what I have lost, sigh.

The only reason I intend to buy a wilson is to see if I can kick field goals any better with it. I can barely make a 25 yarder with the J5V and I try to tell myself that the age of the ball has something to do with it. As if somehow it has made it heavier. At least thats what I try to tell myself. double sigh