Rome....was not built in a day...but what was that ??

First and foremost...
Calgary is way ahead of all the teams..I watched..in the first week of the season...
With that being said...
The Cats..still..have a long way to go.
The Defence..was simply..blown-out..by an Offence that looked like..they had been playing together..all winter. ( Look-out B.C. )
But let's not throw the baby..out with the bath water..the Defence will gel as a unit..and learn lots..from this 1st game.
The Punt/Return Teams...are very good..and will only get even better..
Kicking....in a word..Setta is great.
Offence...The running game..is greatly improved..and will no dought..get even better. The passing game..
A big question mark ??
You can not put all the negative focus on Maas...
However....
I have to ask...Maas looks..still.. not comfortable..very unsteady..very unsure of himself, why..why..why ? Is he truly finished..as a starter ?
Or is he "still" ( not fully recovered ) from the operation last fall ? And if so...why is he starting ???
Many questions...that need to be answered..and quickly.. or the team will risk falling..way behind the rest of the Pack..in the East.
We as fans..can not put all the blame..on Jason.
That would be a mistake.
But..the QB has to generate the spark..for the Offence.
And it...plain and simply..is not there.
The Honeymoon..is over...Charlie.
Welcome to The Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

"The date of the founding of Rome

During the Roman republic, several dates were given for the founding of the city, all in the interval between 758 BC and 728 BC. Finally, under the Roman empire the date suggested by Marcus Terentius Varro (753 BC) was agreed upon, but in the Fasti Capitolini the year given was 752. While the years varied, all versions agreed that the city was founded on April 21, day of the festival sacred to Pales, goddess of shepherds; in her honour, Rome celebrated the Parilia (or Palilia). (It is to be noted, however, that the Roman Ab Urbe Condita (or a.u.c.) calendar begins with Varro’s dating of 753 BC.)

According to legend, the foundation of Rome took place 437 years after the capture of Troy (1182 BC), according to Velleius Paterculus (VIII, 5). It took place shortly before an eclipse of the sun; some have identified this eclipse as one observed at Rome on June 25, 745 BC, which had a magnitude of 50.3%. Varro may have used the consular list with its mistakes, calling the year of the first consuls “245 ab urbe condita” (a.u.c.).

According to Lucius Tarrutius of Firmum, Romulus was conceived on the 23rd day of the Egyptian month Choiac, at the time of a total eclipse of the sun. This eclipse occurred on June 15, 763 BC, with a magnitude of 62.5% at Rome. He was born on the 21st day of the month of Thoth. The first day of Thoth fell on 2 March in that year (Prof. E. J. Bickerman, 1980: 115). That implies that Rhea Silvia’s pregnancy lasted for 281 days. Rome was founded on the ninth day of the month Pharmuthi, which was April 21, as universally agreed. The Romans add that, about the time Romulus started to build the city, an eclipse of the Sun was observed by Antimachus, the Teian poet, on the 30th day of the lunar month. This eclipse (see above) had a magnitude of 54.6% at Teos, Asia Minor. Romulus vanished in the 54th year of his life, on the Nones of Quintilis (July), on a day when the Sun was darkened. The day turned into night, which sudden darkness was believed to be an eclipse of the Sun. It occurred on July 17, 709 BC, with a magnitude of 93.7%. (All these eclipse data have been calculated by Prof. Aurél Ponori-Thewrewk, retired director of the Planetarium of Budapest.) Plutarch placed it in the 37th year from the foundation of Rome, on the fifth of our month July, then called Quintilis, on “Caprotine Nones”. Livy (I, 21) also states that Romulus ruled for 37 years. He was slain by the Senate or disappeared in the 38th year of his reign. Most of these have been recorded by Plutarch (Lives of Romulus, Numa Pompilius and Camillus), Florus (Book I, I), Cicero (The Republic VI, 22: Scipio’s Dream), Dio (Dion) Cassius and Dionysius of Halicarnassus (L. 2). Dio in his Roman History (Book I) confirms these data by telling that Romulus was in his 18th year of age when he founded Rome. Therefore, three eclipse records indicate that Romulus reigned from 746 BC to 709 BC. Surprisingly this is very close to the calculation of the founding given by Rome’s first native historical writer Quintus Fabius Pictor, who wrote that Rome was founded in the first year of the eighth Olympiad, 747 BC (Dionysius of Halicarnassus, Book 1, ch. 74,2).

In the modern period debate has raged over the validity of the stories of Rome’s foundation. Scholars have supported both extremes—those who want to believe nothing of the legend, and those who want to believe the legend wholeheartedly without skepticism. Archaeology offers the best chance of sorting out the debate, and indeed recent discoveries on the Palatine Hill in Rome have offered some tantalizing pieces of evidence. Chief among these is a series of fortification walls on the north slope of the Palatine Hill that can be dated to the middle of the 8th century B.C., precisely the time when legend says Romulus plowed a furrow (sulcus) around the Palatine in order to mark the boundary of his new city. The remains of the wall, and other evidence, has been discovered by the excavations of Andrea Carandini."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founding_of_Rome

Actually, Rome was built after the “Chris Everett” incident, but I digress…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8 :D :D :D

I would hve to agree with your assessment. And the tape will not lie. There is a lot of work to be done between now and the Argo game. A lot.

Oski Wee Wee,

Thanks for the info..oski-oui-oui.
But I'm afraid that after 5 years...some fans..have had their fill.
Perhaps...Jason should be sat-down to the number #2 spot.
Starting Chang...could be a mistake.
However..Chang does bring a spark..to the Offence.
Jason...does not.
Rookie...or Veteran....starter.
That is the big question....

starting chang could be a mistake? why? we might lose?

figment....
Starting Chang...sends the message that Maas is done. Is he...??
If so...than start Chang..win lose or draw..for the rest of the season.
I'm glad...I do not have to make that call.

You can certainly put all the blame on Maas. He put up like 3 points in the first half and it wouldn't have been the first time. This team is dull with Maas at the helm. This team just simply cannot respond nor support Maas. They stink when Maas plays. You can't ignore that disturbing fact forever. Or maybe we can. Nothing in Hamilton surprises me anymore.

Ticatsgrr8..
When..or How..or If..the coaching staff..starts Chang...the message would not be clearer...Maas would be finished as a starter in Hamilton.
Perhaps...that time has come.
The next few games...and I stress..( the next one or two ) will answer..this question.
Taaffe..will not allow the Team to live or die with Jason Maas..as the starter...But remember...if that does indeed happen...one hell of a lot of pressure..is going to be put on the shoulders..of Chang. As it will be up to him...after that point..to carry the Offence...for the rest of the 2007 season.
And then what do you do with Maas....far too expensive...to be a back-up...you would have to 'cut' him...that leaves only Williams behind Chang...
If we see another QB..signed into the Team..in the next week or so...then I think Jason's days in Hamilton..are very soon over..

Maybe Rocky Butler might come back as number 2 behind Chang(e)?

(Please note: I'm calling Timmy by his last name with an "e" in brackets at the end, because I think it is descriptive of his role this year with the Cats).

I was thinking that as well, that in hindsight, it's looking like Butler should have been more patient and bided his time.

Very good points. It is indeed a difficult situation. But in all fairness it is a man made one. The team's trying to draw blood from a stone. Choices are made on flawed intelligence that do not materialize and then we have to live with all the peripheral decisions that were influenced by those errant choices in the key areas. The problem is not unlike a snowball growing ever bigger as it rolls down the hill.

Close Russ, but I think that this was the link that you were looking for...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome,_New_York

[i]New York, United States. The population was 34,950 at the 2000 census. It is in New York's 24th Congressional District. The city is named after Rome, Italy. It is sometimes nicknamed "The Copper City" on account of the brass and copper works founded by Paul Revere in 1801.

The City of Rome is in the south-central part of the county. The Rome Sand Plains is a 15,000-acre inland pine barrens within the city, that consists of a mosaic of high sand dunes and low peat bogs, mixed northern hardwood forests, meadows and wetlands. It is one of only a handful of inland pine barrens remaining in the United States.

n the heart of the Leatherstocking Region made famous by James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales, Rome is known as the City of American History.

Native Americans called the area Deo-Wain-Sta, or The Great Carrying Place, referring to the portage between the Mohawk River and Wood Creek. The portage was also known as the Oneida Carrying Place. Boats coming up the Mohawk River had to transfer their cargo (and boats) 1.7 miles overland to continue west to Lake Ontario. This important east/west trade route was later formalized by construction of the Erie Canal.

In 1758, Fort Stanwix was built to guard this strategic area.

On July 4, 1817 construction on the Erie Canal began in Rome; in 1851, Jesse Williams founded America's first cheese factory.

The City of Rome was incorporated in 1870 on the site of Fort Stanwix.

Between 1951 and 1991, the Rome Air Development Center (RADC) was located at Griffiss AFB. In 1991, the RADC was redesignated Rome Laboratory. It remained active as the Griffiss AFB was closed as part of the Base Realignment and Closure process in 1993. In 1997, Rome Laboratory was made part of the Air Force Research Laboratory and renamed the Rome Research Site. The RADC has been responsible for some of the United States Air Force's major technological accomplishments, especially in the area of radio communications.

The Northeast Air Defense Sector (NEADS) is also located in Rome, on the site of the former Griffiss Air Force Base.

Woodstock 1999 was held in Rome with the city once again making use of the former Griffiss Air Force Base site.

In July, 2005 New York City developers, Park Drive Estates, purchased the former Woodhaven Housing- formerly the base housing for Griffiss Air Force officers and enlisted men, and are in the process of re-developing that land into a resort-style active adult community.

[edit] Geography

Rome is located at 43°13?10?N, 75°27?48?W (43.219469, -75.463330).G[/i]

How about this link:

http://www.thrillingdetective.com/eyes/rome.html

Tony Rome
Created by Anthony Rome (pseudonym of Marvin H. Albert; 1924-1996; AKA Mike Barone, J.D. Christilain, Al Conroy, Albert Conroy, Ian MacAlister and Nick Quarry)

The real Tony would have kicked Frankie over there off the boat.

TONY ROME's "hard-loving, hard-loving private detective (who gets) his fill of offers from women, but always preferred The Straight Pass, the 36-foot sports cruiser he won in a crap game. And remember this is a few years before Travis McGee showed up in The Busted Flush.

Tony may not have done as well as McGee, but he was no slouch, either. The three novels he appeared in, all paperback originals, were a cut above the rest -- good tough reads, with a rather unique setting (for the time) and an appealing, yet flawed hero. A former lieutenant in the Miami police force, he resigned after his father, a disgraced police captain, committed suicide. He set up a detective agency with Ralph Turpin, but he and Ralph didn't get along, so Tony went solo.

Not that he seems to need much help. Tony's one tough dick, and he doesn't take much shit. He carries a .38 Police Special, or a Luger (which he also won in a poker game), and he's been known to carry a small six-shot .22 up his sleeve, just for fun. And he's not afraid of mixing it up with the various lowlifes, thugs, and contract killers he seems to always be running into. No wonder he keeps the "Straight Pass" as his ace in the hole, both financially and as his escape when life on shore gets to be too much.

So he lives on board, but he keeps an office downtown on the corner of Miami Avenue and Flagler Street. And, like any P.I. worth his salt, Tony has a pal on the police force. In Tony's case, it's Lieutenant Santini, who he went through the academy with. He may not be getting rich, but he seems to be making enough to keep himself in Luckies and brandy, and to indulge in his two passions_women and gambling. Like I said, the books are worth searching out, especially The Lady in Cement, which features Tony going up against a social-climbing mobster, and a pretty memorable scene involving the lady of the title and a few hungry sharks.

Alas, these days Tony Rome's probably best known now as a the hero of a couple of smirky Frank Sinatra vehicles filmed in the late sixties, starring ol' Blue Eyes as our boy Tony and Richard Conte as Lieutenant Santini. Unfortunately, putting a captain's hat on Ol' Blue Eyes didn't make him into a believable boatnik, never mind a hard-ass P.I with a gambling jones. The books seemed hard, tight and right, but the films were incredibly cheesy affairs, with various pals, sycophants and hangers-on of Frankie's popping up all over the place, grinning like the second stringers they were, trying to be hip. Let's face it, as a rock'n'roll kid, I never thought Frankie and the rest of the Rat Pack were that hip to begin with, and by the late sixties, they were definitely well past their expiry date. Stick to the books.

Anthony Rome was actually a pseudonym for writer Marvin Albert, who wrote for newspapers, magazines, television and film. He created other P.I. characters, including French Riviera gumshoe Pete Sawyer, two-fisted gumshoe P.I. Jake Barrow (which many regard as his best work) and retro eye Harp under such pen names as J. D. Christilian and Nick Quarry. Quite prolific, Albert was also known to have written quite a few quite decent Westerns (several of which came quite close to hard-boiled/noir territory).

In the early 1980's, Albert moved to France, where he was widely admired, and lived there until his death in 1996. After his death, a collection of short stories by French writers was published, as a literary "hommage" to Albert.

EVIDENCE

* "You get used to unfinished dramas in my line of work. You're always dropping briefly into the middle of people's lives, getting a sharp, disturbing glimpse of how disturbed they are, and leaving them that way. It's a series of second acts, in which you seldom arrive in time for the opening scene or stick around long enough for the final curtain. I had a memory full of cliffhangersabout which I still wondered whether those hanging had managed to climb back up on solid ground_or had fallen to the jagged rocks far below."
  (Miami Mayhem)
* When told his plan may cause trouble for him, Tony replies brusquely, "I live on trouble." (Which wouldn't have made a bad title, either)
  (My Kind of Game) 

OUCH!

* "I had the sensation of having overslept and missed some appointment or other....Memory returned with conciousness, and suddenly I didn't mind at all not having kept that appointment. It had been with death." 

NOVELS

* Miami Mayhem (1960; AKA Tony Rome) ...Buy this book
* The Lady in Cement (1961) ...Buy this book
* My Kind of Game (1962) ...Buy this book

FILMS

* TONY ROME...Buy this video...Buy this DVD
  (1967, 20th Century Fox)
  Based on the novel Miami Mayhem by Anthony Rome
  Screenplay by Richard Breen
  Directed by Gordon Douglas
  Produced by Aaron Rosenberg
  Title song, "Tony Rome", written by Lee Hazelwood, performed by Nancy Sinatra
  Starring Frank Sinatra as TONY ROME
  Also starring Jill St. John, Richard Conte, Sue Lyon, Gena Rowlands, Simon Oakland, Jeffrey Lynn, Lloyd Bochner, Rocky Graziano, Shecky Greene
* LADY IN CEMENT...Buy this video...Buy this DVD
  (1968, 20th Century Fox)
  Based on the novel by Marvin Albert
  Screenplay by Marvin H. Albert and Jack Guss
  Directed by Gordon Douglas
  Starring Frank Sinatra as TONY ROME
  Also starring Raquel Welch, Dan Blocker, Richard Conte, Matin Gabel, Lainie Kazan, Richard Deacon, Joe E. Lewis 

Respectfully submitted by Kevin Burton Smith.

| Table of Contents | Detectives A-L M-Z | Film | Radio | Television | Comics | FAQs |
| Trivia | Authors | Hall of Fame | Mystery Links | Bibliography | Glossary | Search |
| What's New: On The Site | On the Street | Non-Fiction | Fiction | Staff | The P.I. Poll |
Drop a dime. Your comments, suggestions, corrections and contributions are always welcome.
"...and I'll tell you right out that I'm a man who likes talking to a man that likes to talk."

Ah yes, the home of our own Mike McCarthy!

Fort Stanwix is great to visit. I would also recomment the KOA campground that I stayed in when I visited there, but that was many, many moons ago!

Oski Wee Wee,

You recommend a KOA campground?????!!!!!!!!

Let me guess- you were either under 10 or you were 'well lubricated'.

I would welcome Nero warming up his violin (or whatever it was) once again.

Let's forget history and work on the future.

We need a starting QB who can rome the range.

(or is it 'roam'?)