Rolling out and throwing

Anyone watch the Cowboys play yesterday? Romo is doing a great job rolling out and finding receivers on the run, just like a lot of CFL qb's used to do. This is the type of offense I like seeing rather than guys just standing in the pocket, guys who can move their feet and not get confused doing so. I hope we see more of this type of qb play in the CFL next year as some NFL teams are more "CFL like" in their approach than CFL teams are!

Printers

Ya.. I played QB when I was in High School and in Minor Football. I was really good at throwing on a roll out. It's not Easy let me tell you!

You Guys Are Refering To The Classic Run 'N' Gun Offence. In Order To Make It Work You Have To Have Overflow On The Side That The QBs Going To Roll To. One Year I Played For A Team That Had The Run 'N' Gun Passing With A Big Set And 3 RBs. That Year We Averaged Just Over 1 Completetion Per Game.

re-I hope we see more of this type of qb play in the CFL next year as some NFL teams are more "CFL like" in their approach than CFL teams are! The offence is called "west coast" in the nfl, it was originally called "run and Shoot" and was developed by the Args in early 80,s, uses short forward passes are running plays, - not to be confused with traditional, play action and bootleg "plays", CFL defences have adapted and are now better at "containing " a QB, who can scramble out of the pocket- wich is a different set than run and shoot or play action, imo look for former CFL QB Garcia to use the, "west coast" or 'Run and shoot ' or "CFL style" offence this weekend. :thup: :cowboy:

agree with some of that but I don't see why you need to roll out for the West coast offence. Bill Wash created the WEst coast in the NFL and Montana was just a pocket passer. Even though Favre was mobile when Holmgren brought in the west coast offence to GB he became a pocket passer first. Basically like you said short passes and a lot of timimng routes.
As far as Jeff Garcia I just hope he finds any kind of offence. He's looked pretty bad the last couple years

I agree with you, seems like the CFL has gotten away from that and I don't know why. Wally Buono says that 1 reason offence is down in the league is because as the CFL rosters expanded the last couple of years, coaches added 2 new (and presumably better) defensive players. Maybe CFL defences are getting too good for that type of offence?

For the record, Mouse Davis is generally considered the architect of the Run and Shoot. He developed it in the NCAA, and brought it to the pro's later. He has coached in the CFL, NFL, and (probably) the USFL.