Rogers Sportsnet Act Like CFL Doesn't Exist

Checked out the 10 PM Rogers Sportsnet sportscast tonight, and not only did they not mention the start of the CFL season during the 25 minutes I watched, but at the bottom where they have the sport ticket, they didn't even list the CFL as one of the leagues. OH they had the NFL, and NBA. And soccer. And the NLL, whatever the hell that is. But no CFL. How petty these Rogers people be? Luckily nobody watches Sportsnet, so will have little impact on the CFL. But still, just shows how bush league the people running Rogers have become.

just dont watch them. dont visit thier website.
ignore them.

few things:

1. on the ticker, if there is no news why have anything at the bottom

2. if there is no news, why mention it

3. they don’t show the games so why would they want to help hilight the fact that they don’t have the games

4. does the Score cover the CFL anymore than them?

5. If you were in charge of Sportsnet and you don’t have the CFL, why would you really want to report on it. How often does TSN report on MMA? They report on boxing because they are involved with boxing. Sportsnet and The Score have MMA so they report on it. In the states, ESPN hardly does anything with hockey because they don’t own the rights. You will see highlights after the games but don’t expect coverage like TSN.

Well hell, why do they have the NLL at the bottom then? Like the NLL hasn’t been playing now for monthsnow . And the NFL? If they ahve the NFL, why not the CFL? It is a bloody Canadian league isn’t it? And ain’t Sportnet broadcasting to Canadians? I just think its ridiculous.

I never go ther they are dead to me

Whenever I watch the Score, I find that they DO discuss the CFL quite often. Especially during the season. Sportsnet will only give highlights of games. And they will always put the Jays ahead of the CFL (which is understandable as they own the Jays).

Either way, for any CFL news, I just check out TSN (TV wise) and website wise CFL.ca and CBC. Although I’m finding CBC is starting to add more NFL news.

I noticed that also on SN-Pacific. On cutdown day I was surprised they had no CFL news in their roll...not even a heading for the CFL, they just completely ignored the league.

The CFL is the second most popular sports league in Canada and this is obviously a corporate mandate to banish and downplay CFL news. Last season I also noticed that RSN often run highlights of the evening's CFL games in the second-half of their highlight program...after Golf, WNBA, soccer, ect!

It is pretty sad that Roger's would stoop that low as to bury Canadian Football on their sports networks. Another insult is the giant Trent Edwards (Bills QB) graphic at the entrance to Skydome...talk about a slap in the face of the Argo's, their second-biggest stadium tenant. Hard to believe that Toronto residents don't find this insulting that they idolize a football player from another city, another country?

All we can do is the let Rogers know (although they might conclude their plan is working perfectly if CFL fans complain) our dissatisfaction with their CFL coverage. We can also boycott Roger's products and services and bad mouth them at every opportunity we get...but they do have the power of the press.

we already boycott Rogers cellular. we don’t receive Rogers TV in Alberta, otherwise we’d boycott that too.

their pro NFL anti-CFL programming really does sicken me.

Like somebody already wrote, there's no news right now, so what would RSN report on it?
Also, we all know how much Ted Rogers loved the NFL, so it's only natural for RSN to focus on American football than our own.
No big deal, though...TSN does CFL coverage right, so why go anywhere else?

BTW, the new CFL website is pretty slick. Too bad it's not widescreen, though.

I watch Sportsnet for baseball and hockey from time to time but TSN blows them out of the water with everything and is my preferred sports channel by a mile. But they own the Jays and with the Bills thingy, are going to put a lot of resources into that, makes sense for them. But TSN is the much classier sports channel as well I think.

I don't want to be seen as defending Rogers Sportsnet but here are a couple of facts. I watched the 10pm Pacific edition of Sportsnet Connected and they had a CFL story 15 minutes into the program, after they'd done with the pending NHL Free Agency news. The showed a brief media interview with Wally Buono. As for the ticker part, there wasn't any CFL news yesterday, the NLL had news in that they had a new Commissioner.

I only watch Rogers Sportsnet for the Vancouver Canucks broadcasts and replays of PrimeTime Sports with Bob McCowan. I get my sports news from TSN.ca and rarely watch any of the sportsnews shows on tv.

I think there may be something wrong with my cable company. I have "Sportsnet Ontario" on my cable package. But when I turn it there for sports news, even the few times when they talk about the CFL, all they talk about are the Lions. A huge trade or big signing by another team may get mentioned, but only after doing an in-depth report from Lions training camp about a fourth-string offensive lineman's chances of making the team.

That's fine if you live in B.C., but on "Sportsnet Ontario", shouldn't CFL coverage talk at least a little about the Ticats and Argos?

who cares sportsnet is the biggest joke. no one takes it seriously. all they have is baseball and a bit of hockey and all of their good reporters and analysts leave for tsn.

I like thescore tho. at least they had cfl shows like snap and damon allens qb challenge.

Yeah, Sportsnet is pretty pathetic for CFL coverage. I just avoid watching them altogether. But in terms of there "not being any CFL news to report so no need to have a CFL section on the ticker" ... there are two games today which they could have mentioned, the first two of the season no less. I guarantee you that for the entire week leading up to the NFL kickoff, they'll have an NFL section on their ticker listing all the upcoming NFL games. This is why I hate Rogers and Sportsnet.

As for the giant Trent Edwards graphic, that's also sad to hear and it also drives me nuts. If I was living there I'd want to tear it down :x but maybe it's because for a CFL game in Toronto, they get decent crowds, whereas for the NFL game, they got a relatively small crowd!! :lol:

bigdave wrote: I think there may be something wrong with my cable company. I have "Sportsnet Ontario" on my cable package. But when I turn it there for sports news, even the few times when they talk about the CFL, all they talk about are the Lions. A huge trade or big signing by another team may get mentioned, but only after doing an in-depth report from Lions training camp about a fourth-string offensive lineman's chances of making the team.

That’s fine if you live in B.C., but on “Sportsnet Ontario”, shouldn’t CFL coverage talk at least a little about the Ticats and Argos?

I think that may be due to Don Taylor from SN Pacific who is a big supporter of the CFL and insists on running the Lions game stories first on the sports cast…and he routinely files reports from Lions training camp and practice. These segments are probably picked up as filler by the other SN regions, who are too lazy to file their own CFL stories?

I suspect that is exactly right.

So I put on Sportsnet tonight at 11 when I got home for the Ticats game just wanting to see highlights of the game. Anyway 20 minutes later (after Red Sox highlights??) it got to the Argos/Cats game. The guy on Sportsnet starts by saying "so an email went out by the CFL warning against gambling - even though the league is sponsored by a gambling website and the group email that was sent out included the deceased Ron Lancaster." I have no clue how they considered that news. Perhaps I am reading too much into things as a CFL fan but to me it was simply a smear campaign against the CFL. I had to write an email to them. I currently have my home phone, cable and internet thru that company. I put up with the constant emails and advertising they send my about the Jays and the NFL in Toronto but enough is enough. I have told them I am cancelling with their company. It means I'll have to go with satelite instead of cable which is a bit of a pain for me but I can't handle that company anymore. You would think they would start giving the CFL the respect it deserves considering TSN's rating.

No surprise about Sportsnet. I just don't understand their logic? Do they want viewers, or do they just want to promote an agenda? Obviously they've chosen the agenda. Outside of hockey, they're all Toronto and all US of A all the time. The rest of Canada doesn't exist to these guys. Its really quite sad.

Thats all we can do.