Rogers Conspiracy

How is Forde better suited for radio than TV? No matter the medium, the content would be the same.

That's a fair question Hf that Blogskee is asking, I think.

That is very interesting how the CFL suddenly has some series TV options. If the price is right and it is carefully planned out with TSN then I see no reason not to at least give this option series consideration by the CFL. With Rogers having a stake in the CFL it would give Southern Ontario a much needed boost. I would think that TSN has seen this coming that there would be other Networks interested in TV coverage of the CFL since they turned TSN has turned it into a first class pro coverage and promotion.
My how times have a changed.
I would say that if Rogers does indeed get a game a week it would need to be promoted as something specific such as: The CFL Eastern Conference Game of the week. Same day each week at the same time or about the same time each week giving the CFL another Marque game each week and specifically the eastern conference.
The Bigger this gets with TV coverage across two networks and the revenue it will generate for the CFL it would be a matter of time that someone in Halifax figures out that the Atlantic region is the only one not cashing in on this.
Same may be said for Quebec City. sure the Rouge et Or are great but a CFL franchise that makes money? maybe this is something worth looking into.

I never said it was a conspiracy. I don’t think the Esks got fair value. I don’t care if Jyles was the starting QB. Didn’t he replace a guy named Lemon , Jyles wasn’t that great, but he looked better than Lemon. It seems far fetched that Edm. coveted Jyles. I don’t remember teams lining up to acquire him… Draft picks are a crap shoot at the best of times… And then we come to the wonder kicker nobody remembers…All 3 of these players could be replaced by some one else easily. Ask the Esk. fans how easy it is to replace Ricky Ray ?

Another thing, If Winn. trades Buck, our starter, a kicker, and TWO draft choices to the Argos, Barker would be stupid not to let Ray go to the Bombers. Maybe even 2 of our starting QBs, because we have 3.

This could also be a hint that the will continue with there coverage of OUA football each week. The Q still does not even have a regional Network contract with the exception of Laval Home games on RDS. With TSN taking on the Hardy Cup this year making the can west game on National TV as opposed to there regular regional partner Shaw.
I can see TSN/RDS taking on the Q for football most likley showing the Francophone matchups weekly on both RDS/TSN and the Anglo school matchups possibily on TSN2. With the popularity of the CIS and the other three conferances at least having regional coverage ShawTV canwest, AUS eastlink, and OUA nationally on the score Its time for TSN to step up and grab the Q and get some National coverage on both RDS/RDS2 and TSN/TSN2

Can you provide a link to where Rogers operated media stations have said that it’s fixed for the Argos?
I would really like to read this or is it your interpretation of what you think someone said?
I have searched the papers for news on this but I can’t find it.

Please provide a link!!!

Nothing wrong with Duane’s content. Its his cardboard presentation, monotone voice. Just the way it is.

I wouldn't touch Rogers or Score with a ten-foot-pole. They don't deserve access to the high ratings the CFL delivers (much higher than the NFL) so they can promote their NFL games to Canadians. Rogers doesn't care one wit about the CFL and would only work to destroy it.

Let's not forget Rogers made national headlines two years ago when they announced, with much fanfare, they won't be bidding for the CFL rights (in 2013). Columnists across Canada were writing: "What's wrong with the CFL", "Why isn't Rogers interested in bidding??"..."Can the league survive without Rogers???"...and so on.

The year before Rogers also made national headlines when they announced, with much fanfare, they were pulling all advertising and sponsorships with the CFL. They claimed it was too expensive. All the while, Rogers is charging advertisers double for NFL games over what TSN charges for CFL ads, despite the CFL ratings being higher.

To bring Rogers into the fold on the hope they would all of a sudden start "promoting" the CFL...is likely false hope. I frankly prefer the games on TSN vs Score (what is it anyways)? With TSN no longer having the monopoly, would they still give the CFL "Big League" treatment or would TSN relegate the league to 2nd tier status...or the dustbin as Rogers currently does?

even the mention or rumor that Rogers is interested in televising one CFL game a week gives the CFL even more leverage going into TV negotiations with TSN. The CFL deserves to have a big league TV deal. I think TSN is prepared to provide that to keep exclusive coverage. teams are just getting 1.8 million in revenue under the current deal which is very much outdated now. The CFL did agree to extend for 2013 option year under the same deal. That was a sign of good faith for the CFL. I would hope the TSN would recognize that and push each teams revenue from TSN to 4 Million per team whether its 8 teams 9 teams or 10 teams. Just enough to get that cap up. 4.4 just is not enough have teams sign a top level QB and still have enough left to pay the rest of the players their worth to have more complete teams. 6.5 million salary cap would enable that to happen. Also placing a MAX salary as well as a min salary to keep all teams on a level standard pay scale. a Max of 450k-500k would be very enticing for import QBs and also a nice reward for a Canadian QB who puts the work in to make the team and work his way up from a practice squad spot, to the 46 man roster, and eventually be able to compete for a starting job.
Still hope the CFL extends the Canadian QB as non counters in training camp to an 8th practice roster spot designated for Canadian QBs

This article from another CFL hater Dowbiggen says how the league wants some $40M per year and has a better chance of getting it if multi parties are involved.
Yes that certainly makes sense, but this figure I believe is grossly under valued and should be able to garner upwards of $50M+ providing the league properly negotiates with multi parties.
With the key being if the brunt of the games stay with TSN/CTV or a new CBC type of a partial deal, then the playoffs and GC must be shown on the major network.

Dowbiggin is a clown. The guy has no credability and I love how he wrote that column implying he wasn’t from Western Canada. Last time I checked, Calgary was considered “out west”.

ArgoT, it’s good to see that the CFL is serious about it’s new TV deal. I’ve said for a long time the new tv deal will be close to 40 million a year. Most posters here have been cynical regarding this assertion, but it’s clear that that’s what the league is looking for. Now, of course that doesn’t mean the league will get what it’s looking for, but I wouldn’t bet against it either. Also, as I have stated on numerous occasions, CBC will be broadcasting games next time around. That is certain.

Geroy, yes you and I have said for a while how the new deal if negotiated properly this time and involving multi parties at the table can hopefully secure a big jackpot.
Especially since the league deal has been underpaid for at least the last contract poorly signed after not properly negotiated by Tom Wright.
We also agree that TSN hopefully should have the brunt of the package as they have by and large done a decent job and have made Friday Night Football a great package.
Meanwhile, the playoffs and GC must be shown on the larger main network like CTV or CBC.

How would any of that change on the radio?

I guess duane is no howard cosell

Forde is the worst colour man in the league right now. Cosell is the standard by which all bad commentators are measured. :wink:

Duane is a Western grad and Western grads tend to come across more academic, many of which are monotone in their delivery of speeches or talks, which probably doesn't work for the average joe blow. :smiley:

I don’t get it? If a sportswriter just states the facts and they are negative they are “CFL haters”?
This is one of Dowbiggens articles, he is just reporting the facts:

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/bruce-dowbiggin/cfls-slumping-ratings-cause-for-concern/article2230487/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/b ... le2230487/[/url]

What about Lefko he is hardly a CFL hater, here is one of his positive articles:

[url=http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/2011/10/29/lefko_on_cooke/]http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/20 ... _on_cooke/[/url]

or Solinsky at the Huff Post, it’s more of a pro-Toronto articles, not really anti-Argo

[url=http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/kolby-solinsky/can-toronto-host-an-nfl-t_b_1254124.html]http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/kolby-soli ... 54124.html[/url]

If Rogers decides that the NFL is more of a money maker for them then somehow they are CFL haters too or have some kind of conspiracy?

If you defend Dowbiggin a well known idiot who stirs the pot in ANY sport to get attention, that’s sad
the articles are Brucey writes are made to cause people to get mad, he doesn’t state facts, if he is your source to prove the CFL is weak and TO loves the NFL, no wonder your in the dark. Im not going to respond to your comments anymore, over and over people have debunked your Toronto Bills lovefest, and your response is a Bruce Dowbiggin article.

says it all