Rogers Centre Censorship

I agree that you should get the whole exchange on camera. In my experience, cops behave a whole lot differently when they know that multiple people are getting it on video.

Apart from that...was anyone else struck by the ridiculous nature the situation.

Cop: Excuse me, you'll have to take that shirt off.

Guy: No, it's alright, I have a permit to wear this t-shirt.

Cop: I'm gonna need to see your permit as well as your ID. Just stay right there, this will only take a minute.

Guy hands them both over. Cop gets on his radio and has an inaudible exchange for a few minutes.

Cop: Yeah, you're gonna need to take that shirt off. This permit expired last week on Thursday.

Guy: But, I got it on Thursday! They said it was a full year permit!

Cop: Sorry. Take off that shirt, or I'll bust your ass. This here is a pro-NFL zone. Your permit's no good here.

Guy reluctantly takes off shirt to reveal another t-shirt featuring a Canada flag with the Maple Leaf replaced with a pot leaf. He throws the anti-Bills shirt to the ground, and lights a big fatty.

Guy: This effing sucks. I hate the NFL. Oh well. LEGALIZE IT!!!

Cop: That's better...

...seriously...a permit for a shirt? What's next? A permit for guns??? :cowboy:

The Charter of Rights and Freedoms applies to government actions, not private sector activities. Stop saying it applies to Rogers. Use whatever economic clout you have against them, but arguments based on the Charter are completely irrelevant.

I thought Canada was a democracy. Let me see, we can have a pride parade but not a few guys wearing a t-shirt saying they don't like something.
I hope the government jumps on this one, it's an embarrasement to Canada that they jumped all over these guys like they were communists or something, something you'd see back in days. Unreal.

The Police are a part of the government. If you’re protesting on a public street, the police have no right to stop you unless you are causing a threat to public safety. If there are sidewalks in front of Rogers Centre, those are public. Any street in front of Rogers Centre is public, this does not only apply to the government tho however, but to the rights a Canadian person has period. This is quite clearly a breaking of the law by the police, and at least should be reported on TV, somebody really needs to go to the media soon before this becomes old news. You can protest if its in a public area, Rogers does not own the streets even if there is a parade, in the stadium would be a tough dispute (altho having them removed at a CFL game is quite weird) outside of it on public streets, they could just stand outside the parade and have every right to stand there.

This has to go to the media fast, and to a lawyer. Quickly everyone. Don’t wait till the next game to where a shirt, claim what happened, then go to the next game with that shirt and have someone stand just around a corner with a camera phone that records video, and record several people going in, make sure they’re not yelling and being disruptive and if they’re removed for what they’re wearing then the story has a second huge headline on this story, and Rogers starts looking bad, really bad. Someone needs to tell the media in those stories if Rogers actually cares about sport, or the NFL tv contract which guarantees him millions even if no one is at the game, somewhere near the end of it where the person usually asks a question.

This has to be moved on fast.

http://www.answers.com/topic/ultra-vires http://www.gillhams.com/dictionary/105.cfm Any thoughts??

We Canadians reacted with such shock and condemnation when citizens were not allowed to protest in Beijing during the Olympics. Yet here we have the same thing happening in our own back yard. It just goes to prove that before you go judging and condeming other cultures, you had better be sure you have a cleaned out closet.

No kidding, we need to get this out to the media and fix OUR country, its not just OUR league anymore. I hope the person’s involved are going to the media and will update us, because even though i’m in Vancouver you have my full support, and i’ll do whatever I can to help. The very integrity of Canada is at stake, and like one person mentioned, not that it matters whether you’re homosexual or not, but any protest should be able to happen anywhere, at least on public ground even if its just outside of an area, which is perfectly legal and the police who removed them are in the wrong, and breaking the Rights and Freedoms of Canadians. Inside the stadium, unless they were refunded their ticket, i believe it could be fought that there was no indication that they were not allowed to wear pro CFL shirts to a CFL game, and that they should be at the very least refunded their ticket. As for outside the parade, or somewhere on a public street, and espescially with a permit, they should not have been removed.

At the very least if nothing legally can be done right away, this should immediately go to the media and MP’s throughout the country.

A lot of the people who would gladly like to write letters would like to know what the plans of the protest group is and if there’s a centralized location. The sooner the media knows the better, and bigger the headline throughout the country, most people do not know about this event in Canada.

record this stuff and youtube it, very key.

The Charter of Rights and Freedoms is the biggest crap document in this country.
It gives right and freedoms to some that do not deserve same.

[quote author="Massdestruction"]Email the P.M. about this _ campbel@sen.parl.gc.ca