Roethlisberger hurt in motorcycle crash

Sports Ticker

6/12/2006 5:18:32 PM

PITTSBURGH (Ticker) -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger underwent surgery at Mercy Hospital after he was injured in a motorcycle accident on Monday.

Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition. He suffered a broken jaw, broken nose, head lacerations and knee injuries from the accident.

"Before he (Roethlisberger) went into surgery, he was talking to me and was coherent," said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy. "He knew where he was and what had happened."

Roethlisberger was injured when his motorcycle crashed into a car at an intersection in downtown Pittsburgh on Monday morning. The accident occurred at the Second Avenue side of the 10th Street Bridge near the Armstrong Tunnel.

An eyewitness told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Roethlisberger flew into the windshield of the car and hit the ground after his motorcycle crashed into the car. He was bleeding from a gash on his forehead before being taken to the hospital.

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20060612/bike_65889.jpg

Roethlisberger has been known to refuse to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle.

According to the eyewitness account in the newspaper, Roethlisberger was headed outbound on Second Avenue and a car was coming inbound when it made a left turn toward the bridge in front of the motorcycle.

After being admitted to the hospital, Roethlisberger underwent surgery.

Steelers president Art Rooney issued the following statement:

"On behalf of everyone within the Steelers organization, I want to express my concern for Ben Roethlisberger. I am sure Ben knows that we are praying for his complete recovery. So far, we have been encouraged by the early reports from the medical team at Mercy Hospital."

At 23 years of age, Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl last February. He completed just 9-of-21 passes for 123 yards and was intercepted twice, but rushed for a touchdown in the Steelers' 21-10 win over Seattle in Super Bowl XL.

The 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft, Roethlisberger owns a 27-4 record, including 5-1 in the playoffs, as a starter. He is the first quarterback in the modern era to start a conference championship game in each of his first two NFL seasons.

Wow, plain bad luck.

But with the job / sport you do, why would you even think of riding a motorcycle, or (even a 10 speed)do any dangerous type activity.

And he wasn't wearing a helmet.

I’m sry to say this guys, but WHAT A FOOL!!!

their goes Pitts chances to defend their Super Bowl title.

meh.. he'l be alright