So far, the absence of the notorious Rod B has provided us with far more focused play-by-play of CFL games on TSN. Far less clowning around, klutzing and making a sham of our historic game.
Only time Black's antics are missed is when there's a dud on the field . . . a game so bad a good announce team is unnecessary and a clown like Black could save things with his odd & somewhat scurrilous antics.
Last night Dustin Neilson (the youngest of the new CFL/TSN voices) was really into the game - - - really getting excited but unlike Black, excited at the right times, the right plays. Black didn't know the game, so he tried spontaneously combusting on just about every play yielding more than 3 yards.
The only sad thing is it took 20+ years to put Black back into the bad announcer's lock-box.
Recommendations for 2022 season:
- Put Awkward Glen (Suitor) into the lock-box.
- Give Dunigan a game of the week as a color guy.
- Test Milt Stegall on at least 4 or 5 occasions as a color guy
- Bring in the now-retired Bob Irving as a consultant to TSN to provide a few training seminars on play-by-play announcing & game-prep to existing and new TSN announcers.
- Announce a joint CFL/TSN scholarship that goes to a few young students annually to attend broadcasting schools (Canadian & American) where sports broadcasting taught.