Rochester NY CFL Rumor and a Stadium that said YES????

When I heared that CFL Montreal Club owner had 2 potential US buyers for CFL football I had to follow up on it.
In a previous threat I heard that those two cities were Fargo ND and Rochester NY, I took it into my own hands to do a little research into the two cites.
Fargo I did not take seriously however Rochester NY took me by suprise.
Rochester NY is located close to Hamilton and Toronto. http://www.housesandhomes.com/images_ci ... r_map3.jpg

So looking deeper into the city I found a few stadiums that my play a role into the city getting a team when low and behold, there it was ...Pea Tec Park.

http://www.paetecpark.com/uphotos/image.php?id=158

It is a soccer stadium that allows other sports to play there as well.
This year it had 25 football games plus it was also used for the Empire state games.
So I phoned the stadium and talked them myself about the CFL rumor, the size of the CFL feild, and if they would allow a pro football team to use their stadium for pro games.
Their answer was something like this...
-We would be interested in having a pro football team use are stadium be it the CFL or any football league as are stadium is a multi event stadium. We would however have to meet with teams owners or the league to discuse it, but we are always looking for more events here at the stadium.

Now the stadium currently holds about 14 000 and they are planning to upgrade it to 20 000 plus seats and private boxes.

In conclusion, I do not know if any rumor of any possible Rochester NY CFL owner is true or not, but if it is, Rochester NY would be able to pull it off.

1 Like

I will add that Montreal,Vancouver and Toronto already have a pro soccer rivalry with Rochester NY so it could be good for a CFL rivalry.

1 Like

The stadium in Rochester although currently way too small, would need to be renovated to a minimum 30,000 range. But, it looks like there is room and also with the field. If you can play soccer then the CFL size can fit.

Well they have 3 phases for that stadium.
The stadium as it sits now is only the first stage.
Right now the stadium is only at its first stage.
There is a foundation all around the stadium for expansion so they have planned ahead.

Maybe nearby Syracuse with an already domed stadium is a better bet? The only and big competition but that would not be until the fall is the Orangemen.

Just one thing - the length of a soccer pitch - max 120 (or there abouts) yards - is too short for a CFL field and looking at the pic in that link, there is not enough room to extend to the 160 yds needed to accomodate a CFL field: Particularly if the lighter field markings are those of field lacrosse.

Hi Van, I actually talked to them on the phone about that and informed them that the CFL had a longer feild.
If you look at the pic you will see an opening in the stadium plus the CFL allows for shorter endzones in american stadiums.
According to the people in charge of the Rochestor soccer stadium, they would have to discuss this with the owner(s) of a rumored CFL team.
I would assume , like any other stadium that the owner would have to help pay for any alterations to the stadium to make room for the CFL feild, however, there is a opening in this particular stadium to make room for a feild.

1 Like

Argos could establish a new CFL record for greatest number of different transportation methods used to get to away games during a single season.

• Bus (to Hamilton)
  • Train (to Montreal)
  • Plane (other Cdn cities)
  • Ferry (to Rochester - assuming it's still running.)

Normally I would insert my Argo joke here, but it's too late in the night for me to be creative.

1 Like

Thats actually funny just thinking about it.

:lol:
1 Like

" I will add that Montreal,Vancouver and Toronto already have a pro soccer rivalry with Rochester NY so it could be good for a CFL rivalry "

In addition to this, Winnipeg also has a AHL hockey rivalry with Rochester so Rochester would be no stranger to Canadian cities.

1 Like

ExPat wrote:

[b]Argos could establish a new CFL record for greatest number of different transportation methods used to get to away games during a single season.

• Bus (to Hamilton)
  • Train (to Montreal)
  • Plane (other Cdn cities)
  • Ferry (to Rochester - assuming it's still running.) [/b]

Too friggin funny ExPat!!!

I looked into a ferry to Toronto from Rochester, and i think its stopped

Yes it went bankrupt.

I thought the City of Rochester bought the ferry. I know my son came across on it last year and said it was a good trip.

My guess on expansion is the BOG is split down the middle. Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton and BC for and the others agaist. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Well when you look at the other 4, They are all the prairie teams. Winnipeg, Sask, Calgary, Edmonton. Over the years the prairie teams have always been kinda united on the same issues.
They also share the same fans and cheer for each other once their team is eliminated.

1 Like

Yeah, the prairie teams think the same way, but have you ever noticed its the other teams that usually get their own way?

The fact that Wetenall is talking expansion to the US leads me to believe this is a conversation the BOG are having behind close doors.

1 Like

what about UB Stadium in Buffalo. Seats 31,000 and looks like a CFL field could easily fit in there if they took out the running track in either endzone.

1 Like

Because the prairie teams and fans take the time to think things out and draw logical conclusions, instead of dream up ideas that will destroy a good league.

The last I read if they sold the Ferry to an Australian company.
Actually the same comprable Ferry I took from Yarmouth NS to Bangor Maine. What a great ride across the Atlantic.

Says who? I do not cheer for Edmonton when they are eliminated. I cheer. I find it hard to cheer for Calgary either(unless they are playing Edmonton). I might cheer for the Bombers if I was really drunk.