Roberts injured playing B-ball

The leader post reported this morning that Charles Roberts tore his ACL playinig a game of pick-up basketball. Supposedly the doctors are suppose to re-evaluate him on Monday but the article said he could be out for up to 6 months. That hurts for the Bombers.

I saw that article.....man, if he's anything like Matt D was, kiss the season goodbye.....

I think I heard that report on the Rider Channel last night too!

IN CASE U DIDNT NO>>>ITS APRIL 1ST.............FAKE NEWS LIKE THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS>>AND IF IT DID HAPPEN WE WOULD HAVE GEARD ABOUT IT IN THE PEG B4 N E 1 ELSE

I heard that on Global as well here in Calgary!

heres a link to the leader-posts sports section...as u can see, there is no such news.

[url=http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/index.html]http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/ ... index.html[/url]

Killjoys.....

man, CFL players better stay the heck a way from BASEKETBALL!

If anyone doesn't realize this yet this was an april fool's joke.

u should see my april fool joke i almost gave kanga a heart attack!

c. rob is way to short to play basketball. be relistic people

they probably said the same thing about Earl Boykins, Mugsy Bogues, and Spud Webb.

you dont have to be tall to play basketball. Pro maybe, but not pick-up.

i still doubt that c. rob's an avid b-ball player

Everyone should…that was a terrible movie!

....ahhhh even if it were true....Charlie would just get up....and keep running...For a little guy...he just amazes me with his durability...He gets smacked around by men three times his size and he keeps on tickin....Quite an athlete is Blink ...and I would guess every team in the league would love to have him..SORRRRRYYYYYY.. :wink:

i just read a good april fools joke on sportsnet.ca sayin golfer mike weir had retired for the rest of the season due to his disappointing finishes this season....and that the masters were gonna have special distance-reducing balls ...i forgot there was still an hour left of april fools day....got me!

[url=http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/john_gordon/2006/04/01/a_foolish_decision/]http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/john_gor ... _decision/[/url]

Matt Lienart pulls out of NFL Draft

Shocking news as 2004 Heisman winner stands to lose millions

By Mike Celizic
MSNBC contributor

After much soul-searching, 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Matt Leinart has decided to forego a career in the NFL and pursue his true passion, ballroom dancing. The shocking news was learned exclusively by MSNBC.com late Thursday and confirmed by the quarterback.

“Positive,� Leinart said when asked by this reporter in a cell phone conversation if the stunning news was true. “Most people don’t know this about me, because I never talked about it; it’s not something football players want to get around the locker room. But as a kid, I’d watch Fred Astaire movies with my mom and dad and I’d think, ‘If I could be him, I’d be the happiest man in the world.’ Sure, I wanted a shot at another national championship, but the real reason I stayed an extra year in school was to take that ballroom dancing class to see if it was for me. And it was.�

Rarely does any athlete with a shot at the big time turn it down. And no one of Leinart’s stature has done so since Jay Berwanger, the winner of the first Heisman Trophy in 1935, bypassed the NFL to become a foam-rubber salesman. But Berwanger’s decision was made because George Halas, the coach and owner of the Chicago Bears, refused to give him $25,000 for two years of play. Leinart is bypassing the millions of dollars that would have been coming his way as one of the first players taken in the draft.

“If the object of your life is to make money, you’re not going to have much of a life,� he said. “It was during the Olympics that it all became clear to me. I was watching the ice dancing and thinking about the incredible rush I had in my ballroom dancing class when the spotlight was on me and my partner, and I realized I couldn’t give that up, not even for football.�

Leinart said that his decision, which is going to destroy a lot of NFL draft boards, is irrevocable. He’s already lost 20 pounds � “to be lighter on my feet� � and is on the verge of signing an endorsement contract with Paoul, the Italian dance shoe manufacturer. He also has a partner with whom he hopes to debut at next month’s MIT Open Ballroom Dance Competition.

Former USC co-ed Cinnamon Rogers is to be Leinart’s partner, both she and Leinart confirmed. Her identity was learned the same way Leinart’s decision came to light: This reporter’s daughter, Jane Celizic, a sophomore at the University of Albany, heard rumors of the story through an online acquaintance she had met at myspace.com. The online friend said she is the niece of a friend of one of Rogers’ sorority sisters who let the news slip after six Jagermeisters and three car bombs while on spring break in Cancun. Although the story seemed farfetched, Jane told her father, who began making inquiries and finally confirmed the story through Leinart.

Once confirmed, comment was sought from Leinart’s college coach, Pete Carroll, who was, surprisingly, not surprised. “I always knew Matt had a dancer’s heart,� Carroll said. “Every time he’d slip away from a blitzer in practice, he’d say, ‘Let’s see Travolta do that!’ I really envy the guy.�

Of all the reasons for trading football for dancing, Leinart said the biggest was the quality of teammate. “Nothing against Reggie and LenDale and the guys, but who do you want hugging you after a big play, a sweaty offensive tackle or a gorgeous woman? Do you have any idea what it’s like to have to reach under a center’s butt 60 times a day? Have you ever seen a center’s butt, I mean up close? If I’ve gotta touch somebody’s butt, I’m going with my dance partner and not some 300-pound slob who smells like a dead goat.�

Leinart’s partner, Cinnamon Rogers, is, by some magic quirk of serendipity, the granddaughter of Astaire’s movie dance partner, Ginger Rogers. The young Rogers’ mother is Anise Rogers. “My mother got divorced and we both took grandma’s last name,� Cinnamon said. “My mom used to joke that she and Gran were the original Spice Girls, and she kept the tradition going when she named me.�

Such stories don’t fall in a reporter’s lap very often. And this reporter has only once before had a scoop this big. It was some 20 years ago when he learned that George Steinbrenner was selling the Yankees to a group of Japanese investors and retiring to a monastery. By coincidence, that story, too, broke just in time for April 1.

Mike Celizic writes regularly for NBCSports.com and is a freelance writer based in New York. And if you take the first letter of each paragraph of this column, you'll know what he's celebrating.
(i though enough aprilfools day threads had been started, so i just posted it here :smiley: )

i agree pap, its really amazing how tough Roberts really is. everyones alwayse talking and asking the question, "is he tough enough to last the season" but really hes proved it every year. as for him being a good basketball player. i think he would be, he's a very gifted athlete and his skills are speed and agility, and hes probly got great hand eye coordnation. i think hed be a good point gaurd lol.

His finest Quality is, he's not a flavor of the year kind of running back..
He's been around for a while and has proven his worth...
Team guy...which can't do enough for the Mighty BlueBombers...
Your a champ Roberts...keep on pluggin those rush yards....