Rob Longley's Brilliant Response to My Email

I would never go to a bar for any playoff games in football. When i watch football, i want to watch the game. With sound and no distractions. For me watching sports in bars just ruins it. Nothing better then laying on the couch on a Sunday with some CFL action on the TV.

Iwatched the so-called game at a bar. By the end of the half-time show, over half of the crowd had left and by the end of the 3rd quarter,most of the rest were playing the golf simulator game.This game was pathetic!!
I wonder how many sports writers will call this game like it was, a 4 hour snooze fest. Can't wait for real football to start in 4 months!!!!

rcon: I could try to agree with you more, but it's not poosible. Bring on the CFL!!! Put the hype machine to bed until September.

Well, I just read Longley's article now and what a joke he is and the editor for publishing it. Do they realize that they make themselves look so immature and not very intelligent and make themselves look like beggers at the trough "please NFL, we need a franchise here in Toronto, we'll cut up our own CFL, anything, please have mercy on us, we need you so badly to make us feel important in this world..."

Longley, Godfrey and his buddies are really a pathetic excuse for human beings, and that's saying it nicely. They embarass not only themselves but Canada as well. Pathetic.

Whats really sad EArl is that Longley is the Sun's CFL writer as well.

And is there a more kiss-ass around then Paul Godfrey when it comes to American sports?

In the article he refers to "major league sports" in Toronto, but of course doesn't include the Argos. Why? Because they're Canadian of course.

Then again I remember Godfrey was all irate when Canada didn't go into Iraq with the Americans? What a loser eh?

Then again knowing Godfrey he wasn't worried about saving Iraq. He was probably worried that not supporting the US may affect his chances for an NFL franchise!

berezin99: Since longley is the Sun's CFL and NFL writer, do you think his yearly budget for crayons will double? I mean, he has to do twice the work....

I always get a laugh when reporters go to bars for peoples opinions, as if they are the most functional thinking people in society.

You would have to be “tanked” to enjoy that waste of 4 hours called the Super Bowl!!! :wink:

I watched for three reasons. 1) Terrence Wikins was returning those kicks for the Colts played for the Stamps two years agao.
2) Two Canadian kids playing in the game one for the Bears and one for the Colts.
3) It was a football fix nothing more.

PS For all the fans that are exposed to the negative media in the region welcome to what most of the rest of Canada is faced with the Maple Leafs. Really the Toronto media needs to get out of the box and go to other regions of Canada to see what the rest of us see. I can only feel for the CFL fans in Southern Ontario. The NFL is football nothing more nothing less. The CFL is home grown canadians with a few americans playing a different game nothing more. Which is better? Really who cares other then the small minded sports media of Toronto who can not get overe their fixation with themselves. If you are a trapped CFL fan do not feed their ego’s by emailing them your thoughts. This feeds their large egos. Send your letter to the editor of the local news papers with your views make them look stupid.
Any of you wish to continue on my leaf comment PM me.

Well you were one of the few then.

Why? Because I watched a football game and took it at face value, enjoying the challenge of the elements of nature and watching teams overcome them, rather than looking for glitz and glam?

I enjoyed it, simply because I enjoy the sport. Anyone who finds fault in it simply because it's a different league - as many are prone to do on this site - don't truly appreciate the beauty of football - league type irrelevant.

I didn't mind the game either.

I prefer CFL over NFL. Given my choice on a Sunday, I'll take the CFL every time. But the NFL is football and there have been some pretty good games. Like jm02, I enjoy the sport. I felt this years Super Bowl was better than others. I thought the officiating was better than last years which had the interesting "Phantom calls".

Can't wait for the CFL season to start again!

Any of you wish to continue on my leaf comment PM me.

The funny thing about the Leafs is that a lot of Leaf fans will say on one hand the Leafs are Canadiana, Canadian sports culture the most of any team, league anywhere and then in the next breath say that nationalism and pro sports don't mix at all. I've noticed that and find it's very strange.

I watched the superbowl and I thought the game was decent. But I hate the two weeks of hype, not to mention that it took three and a half hours to play the game. However I agree with drummer god. The majority of people look at the superbowl for exactly the reasons he listed.

With the Toronto situation in the media, don't they realize that the NFL has ABSOLUTELY no plans of coming to Canada. The NFL would i'm sure rather put a team in the parking lot of a liquor store in South Central Los Angeles then come to Toronto. This is by no means a shot at the city of Toronto but, think about it. Toronto would've had a team by now if the NFL was at all interested in coming to Canada.

You are right and PG would have to find some one with deep pocklets to use that kind of cash. But one would think there are a few more places in the US that would get a team before they would apporve ateam in Hog Town.

I feel that the CBC has tried to make the Leafs Canada’s NHL team for years and years. It is more recent that we out west get the Leafs,Leafs and more Leafs in the 1st game of the doubleheader. It amazes me no matter how bad or average this team is, CBC has seen fit to try make the Leafs the focal point for coverage. I hope the Leafs dont make the playoffs again, because that means the CBC will have to focus on Canada’s OTHER team, the Canadiens. They will have to cover the Sens as well. It seems that the Flames, Canucks and Oilers share the coverage on the 2nd game on Saturday nights, but the Leafs are the only Canadian team out east that gets any coverage. The only time the Canadiens and Sens get national airtime is when they play the Leafs.

Actually, I used to live in Belleville Ontario (Split right Between Toronto and Ottawa.)

and a couple years ago they split us right down the middle for coverage, so half the city had to watch Ottawa games and other half Toronto Games.

Added to that, Leafs rarly Do not play on a saturday. so they get it. Kinda sad,

Although i would hate to see NHL leave CBC, maybe it will change if TSN/CTV gets the contract.