RIP Marty - Mar 22 2022

Emelio "Marty" Martinello, a 13 year journeyman CFL lineman, his last 2 years with the Hamilton Tiger Cats (1965-1966) passed way in Hamilton recently. RIP

4 Likes

For a man his size, 5'11, 230, he was an outstanding football player, considering he played Def. Nose Tackle for 13 years for 4 different teams in the CFL !!

Won his only Grey Cup ring with his hometown Tiger Cats in 1965.
What a great Def. line that was in 65, Billy Ray Locklin, John Barrow, Marty Martinello, Angelo Mosca, and Dave Viti .

And he was a Canadian, unbelievable !!
Used to talk to him at all the old Alumni dinners here in Hamilton. He loved to talk football !! A real gentleman for sure.

RIP Marty !!

5 Likes

Nice story! RIP Marty! Sounds like he was a real character!

1 Like

Rest in Peace # 65 .

Pat Lynch (thinking about Marty Junior)

1 Like

I remember Marty with the Argos and also the Ticats. Back when the CFL teams used a Middle Guard and a 5 man defensive line. Not a big guy compared to today's DLinemen but the fact he played so long shows he was good.

2 Likes

His daughter was a nurse at my family doctor's office for many years. Seeing me wear my Ticat jacket once, she asked me if I had heard of her father. (Of course I had). It's funny the connections we all have in life. RIP Marty. You raised a wonderful daughter.

2 Likes

Just saw this...Marty lived five doors down from us on the West Mountain when I was growing up...gave me a football and was my first ever autograph...great guy. RIP and condolences to the family

4 Likes