RIP Chris Schultz

The big man passed away at age 61 .

Pat Lynch ( may his memory be a blessing)

1 Like

shocking to see him gone
Nice guy and great to talk too

1 Like

Best Football Guy at the Fan 590 ,TSN panelist , best ever!
"Perception is reality"
and a local Burlington resident , RIP Shultzie.....

1 Like

Sad to hear this, I always liked him on the panel. When the other members would bad mouth Hamilton, he usually had something good to say about us.

2 Likes

Chris Shultz was a very good OL and a soft spoken gentle giant (by appearances) off the field. RIP Mr. Shultz.

1 Like

You are so right Tom, used to run into Chris a lot here in Burlington, and he always
loved to stop and talk football !!

A very friendly guy.

RIP Schultzie !!

1 Like

Really enjoyed him on the panel. He will be missed.

2 Likes

I wondered years ago when he went missing for long stretches from Friday night football if he was having health concerns but nothing was ever said.

He was also a skilled carpenter. Did some carpentry work for my father in laws town homes many years ago.

1 Like

Lots of heart-felt tributes are coming out about Mr. Schultz. He was obviously well regarded.

(I'd post links, but several of them are on a blogging site that I know triggers some of us)

1 Like

Play-by-play partner Mike Hogan pens touching tribute to Chris Schultz

“I confess that I’m writing this through a waterfall of tears. My throat is tight, I feel a chill. There’s a feeling of disbelief as I try to find the correct words to express my feelings after just being told that Chris Schultz has passed away.

To say I’m happy to have had the opportunity to work with him would be a grotesque understatement. Schultzy used to test me often, particularly in the early days of our partnership. I’d be sitting doing some prep work and hear him randomly ask an Xs and Os question to test me. Sometimes I’d pass, other times I wouldn’t, but I’d learn, and was always anxious to tap into my 6’8” resource.

Between Chris and my first Argo radio broadcast partner, Pete Martin, I developed a better than working knowledge of the sport. I felt I had to learn more to keep up with those two encyclopedias. They spoke, I listened, and I owe them both as much as anyone for enhancing my passion for the sport. They were both excellent teachers who shared an enormous respect for the game. Not surprisingly, Pete was one of the first people to call me to express his condolences.

I can’t tell you what that chance to work together again meant to both of us. Chris and I talked often, but never saw each other away from BMO Field. We last spoke eight days before he passed away. He was asking about some of the recent Argos player moves, talked about some common friends, how good he had been feeling of late, and he also was talking about a project he was about to start, doing some sort of podcast with a friend.

Some sort of a podcast with a friend was about as technically advanced as Chris could get. He asked me to give it a listen and get back to him. I didn’t hear it because Chris gave me no idea on where to find it. I thought I’d let it breathe and get back to him. I was planning to call him on Friday.

I wish more than anything that I could.”

4 Likes

The accolades never end. What a human being! (We can all hope to have positively influenced so many people as he did).

After having read so many positive things about Shultzie I believe the league should name some type of award for him. Perhaps something to do with community involvement by a CFL employee, regarding charity work.

2 Likes

How about working with Purolator to have “Shultzie’s Drive for Hunger”? Too hooky?

2 Likes

I think that is a great idea. The Drive for Hunger meant a lot to him. Putting his name on it would be a natural IMHO.

3 Likes

seemed like a great guy. i missed him a lot whan he left the panel and was annoyed when TSN refused to acknowledge it.

Yes ....RIP CS.

We can certainly benefit from the perspective of ex-players who were not just QBs and receivers.

4 Likes

I had the pleasure meeting Chris at University of Guelph. A great football guy and an even better person. RIP

5 Likes

I also had a chance to meet and speak with him. He came in my place of work at the time and was waiting for a guest to join him. He talked about the Ticats and there chances that season. This was back in 2016. Sad to lose a great man.

2 Likes

I am not one to go out of my way to meet people just because I know of them, but CS is one whom I think I would have enjoyed meeting.

It hasnt been the same without him on the tube, and now the loss is even greater

3 Likes

He's on my -extremely- short list of blew team players I would have enjoyed talking with. He's actually at the END of that list, with the only other participant being Pinball.

3 Likes