Riders' Williams gets one game suspension; Argos' Richardson max fine

TORONTO — The CFL has imposed player discipline in the wake of an altercation prior to last Saturday’s Touchdown Atlantic:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/20/riders-williams-gets-one-game-suspension-argos-richardson-max-fine/

I love Craig Dickenson. He's candid, funny, articulate, approachable. But he's lost control of his players. Last year, the Riders were a highly penalized team. This year, nothing has changed. In fact, it has become worse with players getting tossed for stupid, ignorant behaviour. These actions are hurting the team and yet for whatever reason(s) this stupidity continues.

2 Likes

1 game is awfully light for using a weapon on the field against an opponent.
Also a fine for starting an altercation before the game AND a punch during gameplay feels light.
If cfl wants to get rid of this garbage harsher penalties are needed.

Wow.. league is a joke.

Sooo the Riders are ravaged by Covid, Fajardo might not play, and Duke Williams is suspended. How bad does it have to get before the league steps in and reschedules their upcoming match against Toronto?

2 Likes

Well, well, well. A suspension. For one & not the other. I might have thought equal punishments were in order, other than that expected. Duke has pretty much lost my respect. If he really was spitting on Richardson I can't blame Richardson's reactions.

2 Likes

Me neither. I'd be upset if someone spit on me too. Particularily with all these viral infections all over the place. Someone's got to slip these guys a tranquilizer.

2 Likes

Yes Duke committed by far the worst offense we could see by using a helmet as a weapon. Should have used it on his own head as the rocks inside would have felt nothing. Penalty of one game for that, being done when not even in the heat of battle, was light in my opinion. If it was proven that he spit, a most heinous, dangerous and classless offence, I would up the bar from the week before and give him 5.

3 Likes

Almost missed that bit about Eli Mencer getting a time-out too. The League has spoken!

It's OT but they may need to move it

1 Like

Duke Williams certainly deserved the suspension for throwing a helmet at Richardson. The fact that this is the second time someone has stated that Duke spit at them (last year - Shawn Lemon & now this year) one should consider there is some truth to the matter. That needs to be disciplined as well. But the League has done nothing both times.
As for Richardson being charged with crossing the field into the Rider's side. That is not worth a suspension but the fine does seem appropriate. It was not a violent act intent on hurting anyone.
Craig Dickenson was quoted as saying that he did not expect Duke Williams was going to receive a suspension but maybe a fine. That to me seems to indicate Dickenson is not taking these serious actions by his team seriously. Is it any wonder why the Riders are so badly penalized this year?

2 Likes

What about Richardson throwing a punch?

Lol.. only saying that because its not your team.

1 Like

Right. Sorry about that. It's Ottawa they're playing next. But will it make any difference if half of them are sidelined with Covid, suspensions or injuries? Right now the Ladies Auxiliary Bake Team could smoke them.

2 Likes

Nonsense. I have abhorred spitting by any athlete since the classless Roberto Alomar days. It’s indefensible. I’m not sure why you are even trying.

4 Likes

If Duke’s drooling and spitting and general barnyard behaviour is the cause of the Covid spread among the team, they should be forced to play with what they have left or forfeit the game.

4 Likes

:laughing:.. this again.

1 Like

The commissioner is a joke. Why do I have to hear about his views on gay marriage or who the US President is. Yes Canada is a liberal cess pool,but not everybody in Canada is a over the cliff left wing liberal. This over reaction on Duke is just an extension of all that other stuff.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Really?

He threw a helmet at another player's head. You don't think that deserves a one game suspension?

And yes, to those who love whataboutism, I believe Richardson should have been suspended for one game as well.

4 Likes