Riders suspend QB Jake Dolegala one game

So....Jiffy Lube would host the punishment session? Or would Quick Lube be better?

Hard to refute that stat since some of us would've been too drunk to remember.

1 Like

So how exactly do you suspend a player who probably wasn't going to dress for the next game anyways ? Dolegala is currently on the Riders PR . He has only dressed for two games the entire season . Sounds a little hollow and silly to say that you're suspending a player that isn't even technically on your roster .

1 Like

Whichever one honors my expired coupon from Wendy's.

Is this where Wendy's gets their bacon for the Baconator?

1 Like

He still gets a paycheck on the PR. This week, he doesn't.

Texting is just as dangerous, but not cannabis. It doesn’t impair your motor skills like alcohol or take all of your attention away from the road. Not that it doesn’t have some level of danger but it is a myth that cannabis impairs to the same extent. Bar fights and the like are almost never started by those high on cannabis but rather by those high (low?) on alcohol or other substances. The level of impairment isn’t comparable.

The best example of policing I ever saw was the one time I attended Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I was amazed that the cops standing beside the revelers on the parade route did nothing about the open consumption of pot. I asked a cop why this was out of curiosity. He told me that he had been a cop for a long time and in his experience those smoking pot are not very impaired and rarely tend to cause trouble. He said it was their policy to worry about the drunks as they were the people that created dangerous situations, started fights and were generally obnoxious.

As an aside, I know of a then teenage girl of 17 who about 10 years ago was texting at a major intersection at 2 a.m. in Winnipeg and rammed a car full of totally sober university students. Two of them died. She laughed it off and thought of the whole thing as a joke. Completely irresponsible and entitled was my opinion. She thought she was the victim.

I have told ALL friends and my kids to call me for a ride ... In 35 years I have had a more than a few phone calls to be taken up on the offer. One by my oldest kiddlet just last week

1 Like

Drugs, including cannabis, can impair your ability to drive safely and increase the risk of getting into a collision. In fact, impaired driving is the leading criminal cause of death and injury in Canada, and drug-impaired driving detected by law enforcement is increasing. The percentage of Canadian drivers killed in vehicle crashes who test positive for drugs now exceeds the numbers who test positive for alcohol.

https://nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/does-marijuana-use-affect-driving

Marijuana may impair judgment, motor coordination, and reaction time, and studies have found a direct relationship between blood THC concentration and impaired driving ability.

1 Like

Anyone who says pot is not as bad as alcohol for impaired driving is living in mythical thoughts.

1 Like

Thank you for doing my research for me. For one, just because marijuana is found in someone’s bloodstream does not mean there is any causal connection to an accident, particularly because, as the article states, marijuana can be detected in the bloodstream for weeks after consumption and is often found together with alcohol, which by the way can generally be detected for only 24 hours. Smoking pot 14 days before an accident while drinking within 24 hours before an accident does not establish a causal connection that pot caused the accident. The detectability of pot skews the numbers and proves nothing.

The end of your article sums it up better than I possibly could:

A large case control study conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found no significant increased crash risk attributable to cannabis after controlling for drivers’ age, gender, race and presence of alcohol.

In the past I have both interviewed and observed testimony in court from expert witnesses about the impact that alcohol and cannabis have on a person’s ability to drive and their motor functioning. It is not even close.

The studies are there that say it affects driving.....
Do what you like with that info

I didn’t say it didn’t effect driving, just significantly less than alcohol. Your link said it didn’t effect driving at all by the way. Farther than I went. Trust me, there is no comparison. A myth is being peddled here. Stoned people drive a little slower is all. And they listen to better music in the car.

and studies say differently

1 Like

if a person can’t stop themselves from drinking and driving, then they aren’t mature enough to drink responsibility nor drive responsibly. it’s selfish and stupid and there’s no excuse at all for it.

2 Likes

Sorry but that’s just not true. I am sure out of many studies on any topic you can pull out one or two you think support your point but generally those aren’t properly controlled scientific studies such as the one cited in your link. The overwhelming evidence supports my point. I am not making this up. If you have imbibed in both and tried to drive you would also realize how untrue it is. We can agree to disagree.

1 Like

It's surprising to me how they literally spelled out what Dolegala's offence was, so often all you see is the generic "breaking team rules" statement.

All I can think of is that the Riders thought the backlash would be worse if they'd suspended him for an "undisclosed" or "detrimental conduct" reason, but then the reality of him drink-driving got leaked by some other media.

Still standing by my statement that you gotta be a moron to think drinking or smoking pot plus ok to drive ... And you gotta be a complete moron to think pot is ok to drive a car

1 Like

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::blue_heart: 100% correct, only people who use have a different opinion. I was honest Re: me drinking and driving, Any impairment is impairment!!!! There is NO excuse.

i don’t drink hardly ever, maybe 2 beer a year if that. i get tipsy after 1 beer and i can’t even ride a bike. i do occasionally indulge in the electric lettuce and there is no way to compare the two. i can smoke a joint and ride around without a problem. not the same as driving i know but my point is comparing is like apples and coconuts.

1 Like