Riders Sign Johnson...

Too funny! Reeks of desperation. Remember how well the last Rider signing of a Lions cast-off receiver panned out??? If you can't recall, his name was Ryan Grice-Mullen...

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=409211

...one question: why?

...Johnson isn't going to make any impact IMO...not knowing the rider playbook aside, coming from +28C Houston to -16C Calgary today what sort of contribution can he possibly be expected to make?! weird...

...but I'm sure turkeybend2 will have some sort of positive spin on this INCREDIBLE TURN OF EVENTS

Most likely a signing for next year. Justgetting him a game cheque, I would be vey surprised if he made the 42 man roster.

"The Saskatchewan Roughriders signed import receiver Kierrie Johnson on Saturday."

Dang it! I didn't want to read this. This guy is one excellent player in my books and the only reason I think he was releases is because the Lions were deep with players playing his position. Simon was set to return and then there was E. Jackson comes to mind. Kierrie is only 24. He has plenty of time to hone his skills and he will serve the SSK organization well. I think he will be back to haunt BC Place sooner than later and do us some damage. Who knows, maybe even in the Western Final. How ironic he gets picked up by the very team the Lions played against when Kierrie broke his arm back in July. Dang it. :thdn:

Johnson stats do show decent numbers for the 2 seasons while with B.C. with a 15.1 average. I agree he was released because of the depth at SB like beagle pointed out, thus good signing by the Riders.

Can you explain how this reeks?

...why not wait until Monday then? was he that desired that 48 hours was a threat?

rtk is a homer… that is his explanation…

...I have to admit when I saw the title of this thread I thought the riders had signed Brent Johnson

...that actually would've concerned me :lol:

HA... whatever helps you sleep at night!

beagle, I for one disagree with you. I think he has speed, but that is it - purely a home run threat. He mad a big play for the Leo's in the GC last year, but not a heck of a lot more. As someone else noted, his stats aren't that great. Further to that, he tends to have brain cramps at the wrong times (ex: @ SK this year when Bruce and Simon went down).

48 hours before the Riders biggest game of the year. No apparent interest from any other teams - he would have been scooped a while ago if that was the case. How does this sit with the other players on the team? Will be make the 42 man roster? Does not seem to make much sense at all. What else is left? Desperation!

Is it any worse than the signing of Adriano Belli? At least the Riders got a guy who hasn't been out of football for 2yrs.

"beagle, I for one disagree with you. I think he has speed, but that is it - purely a home run threat. He mad a big play for the Leo's in the GC last year, but not a heck of a lot more. As someone else noted, his stats aren't that great. Further to that, he tends to have brain cramps at the wrong times (ex: @ SK this year when Bruce and Simon went down)".....by rtk350

Who said that rtk? Taylorfield was the only one who commented about Johnson's stats and he said they were decent. He didn't say they were not decent. I've gone over all of the posts. Maybe it's right in front of me and I missed it.

Don't forget that he was out for 9+ games with a broken arm. When he returned I remember several nearly impossible catches the guy made. I think the Roughriders have a keeper in Johnson but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

actually Belli has only been out of football for one season. last year he played for the Canadian National team in the 2011 IFAF mens World championships in Austria. Canada finished 2nd to the US.

Although he is a good player and will get a chance with the Riders next season. If the Riders should get past Calgary then they would face BC. Johnson knowing the BC offense may be a big help for preparing the riders for the Lions on the scout team.

Desperation? That is the best you can come up with? It was for the future, especially if you look at Rob Bagg's uncertain future. You are just bent out of shape because we signed a bplayer with a lot of potential off your team... Look at it for what it really is, and stop the goofy analysis...

...sam, your use of the quote function is wildly dangerous

Not even close. I was calling for them to cut him long before they finally did. The fact that the Riders picked-up the Leo's scraps again makes me laugh. Remember Ryan Grice-Mullen? He was the last Leo cast-off receiver the Riders signed. Do you remember how excited everyone was then? Do you recall how well that panned out?

I wasn't "excited" by RGM's signing... nor did I shed a tear when he parted ways with the Riders... Johnson has plenty of upside, unlike Grice-Mullen... but then you have picked up some our scraps in years past too... so it goes both ways.