Riders Resign Dwan Epps and Add QB Darian Durant

The Saskatchewan Roughriders announced today the re-signing of defensive end Dwan Epps and the free agent signing of quarterback Darian Durant to one-year plus option contracts. Financial details were not released.

Epps has spent the past two seasons with the Roughriders. The 29-year old ruptured his Achilles tendon during last year’s training camp and missed the entire season. In 2004, he dressed in six games for the Roughriders and picked up two quarterback sacks.

Durant spent time with the Baltimore Ravens last season after signing as a free agent. The 22-year old quarterback spent four seasons at the University of North Carolina where he set school records for career completion percentage (.605), career touchdowns (68), career passing yards (8,755), total career offence (9,630 yards), and career completions (701).

Your thoughts

why did they sign another QB? don't they have a good third or fourth already?

No, they don't have a good third QB. They have Rocky Butler, who's been a bench rider for the past five seasons or so.....

I stand corrected, so I guess that he will be released.

Well, how about let's get training camp started first.....I assume he is being brought in for competition for Butler's spot.

Durant is a good prospect, I remember him from the NCAA a couple of years ago. A stocky 5' 11 with good mobility and a good arm.

Hmm... I like those signings. I dont think Ian "Rocky" Butler will be around for much longer.

Durant is a great prospect, he wasn't willing to switch positions, like so many QB's. He's an amazing athlete, I think he practiced with the Tar Heels Hoop team as well. This kid could be great if he gets a chance to play, I know alot of people say stuff like that about mobile QB's with good arms, especially Americans like myself who sometimes tend to think all it takes to be a CFL QB is speed and a cannon arm, but this kid has good pocket presence, reads the field well and did compete in ACC football. Riders got a good future with this guy, if Joseph goes down or has an off year this kid could pay dividends immediately. If he was willing to switch positions, he would have stayed on someones practice squad until he earned enough tenure, to make hime to expensive as a practice squad player, ala Woody Dantzler