Riders relieve OC Maas of duties; Dickenson to return as head coach

REGINA — The Saskatchewan Roughriders announced Tuesday that Offensive Coordinator Jason Maas has been relieved of his duties. Run Game Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach Stephen Sorrells and Receivers Coach Travis Moore will not have their contracts renewed.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/01/riders-relieve-oc-maas-of-duties-dickenson-to-return-as-head-coach/

Dickenson’s defense of Garrett Marino was inexcusable. Not a good look for the Canadian Football League.

2 Likes

I imagine the coaching cap has something to do with things... shame ODay is being kept on, though

1 Like

That is hardly a surprise. Pretty minor move considering the mess that this season was in Saskatchewan. I guess Jason is the reason the OL was so bad, thus the QB etc. etc.

2 Likes

not enough but not surprised either.

1 Like

Based on the decisions Dickenson made on the field, the way team motivation level was, the way def/offensive was handled, team discipline was handled, improvement of the team each week..... and I can list another 100:
He should not lead SSK anymore. He got Sankey from CGY last year to boost defence, Bo this year to boost offense? The decision will not bring any spark :laughing: to SKK .

Is this a highschool team?

i wonder if Dickenson might take over the OC duties to save money against the operations cap (with the outgoing salaries counting against it).

Its a possibility. HC, OC, and STC, plus QB coach are a lot of hats, though.

1 Like

i just think they will hire the minimum they can manage as far as coaching, and then look for another QB and o-line improvement. IMO the relationship between Dickenson and Fajardo looks fractured.

1 Like

And in related news... Saskatchewan is now guaranteed to be drafting 1st overall in the 2024 CFL draft.

1 Like

Based on the article it looks like most of the people let go, their contracts were up. The ones that are still there, still have one more season on their contract. With the operations Cap, I think they are changing as much as they can.

1 Like

finally Maas is gone. Now SASK can be higher in my team cheering order list

1 Like

Under the CAP as I know it, you get one freebie - that’s Maas. The others aren’t under contract come 2023. So there really is no penalty letting him go.

“Jeremy is a lifelong Roughrider, who cares deeply about the success of the organization…" Is that a qualification for the position?

Zack Evans left Ottawa as an All-Star to go home & bombed. Brett Boyko left BC with a stat line giving up the most pressures in the league, but came home to Regina & surprisingly (???) that didn’t work out well. Evan Johnson left Ottawa as a highly sought FA & how is the homecoming going? So keeping someone on who deeply cares for his roots is great & I hope it works out. But it isn’t always so. Hey, don’t like to see people let go so all the best.

Everyone knew changes were coming to the Rider Organization. Well at least Craig isn't being axed for the disaster the Riders had this year. I think he is still a good HC & ST coach. It was his subordinate coaches that were not doing so well.
There is still a lot of rebuilding to do for this team but that is for next calendar year.

1 Like

Not much faith in your Riders, eh, to make that statement!

Not a bad start, although I feel like Dickenson should have been axed too. He and O'Day have to be on thin ice, though.

I’ve been a Rider season ticket for several years - but 2022 was the worst demonstration I’ve seen of gross mismanagement, egregiously deplorable leadership, and a wholesale imploding of culture. And this from someone who witnessed the shambles of 1979 and 1980, the incompetence of 1999, and the ineptitude of 2015. Coach Dickenson summarily failed the team.

1 Like

Can’t agree with you more, Dickenson is totally responsible for the collapse. He shows his lack of class and character by throwing Cody under the bus blaming him for his ineptitude at coaching. His failure to reign in the renegades and collapse of discipline falls squarely on Dickenson. Bad move Riders!

1 Like

Totally disagree with you, Craig is a total disaster as a head coach. He should take coaching instructions from brother Dave who knows how and when to crack the whip. I wonder if Craig even knows what is the shape of a football?

You won’t cheer for a team because of who the OC is?