Riders release Lee

[url=http://www.riderville.com/article/riders-re-sign-quarterback-tino-sunseri]http://www.riderville.com/article/rider ... no-sunseri[/url]

(at the bottom)
The Riders also announced they have released national defensive end David Lee.

this makes little sense. I thought he played very well. The only way this makes sense at all is if they are entirely abandoning a NI at DE after trading Foley. Stupid move IMO

Depop I agree.

I can't imagine he is a costly cap piece? He's a national??

The only way I see this making sense is because Ainsworth and Ryan Wellman are ahead of him and they don't have room for three National DE's.

Plus...........outright release versus a trade for futures, a 4th/5th round pick............I cannot imagine he'll be FA long. Argos likely will want National depth at DE. Bombers and RedBlacks likely want a solid National as well.

Head scratcher...............But I also wonder why they gassed Swain and left Chaz kicking around? Are they trying to get DePalma back..............or are they racing to ride with 3 National receivers as started with Watson getting picked up> That seems to be the optic.

Yeah, I know that Swain has mixed reviews from people, but I personally liked him. He was potentially the best blocking receiver (Getz had a bad year overall, nagged from injury). I know you need to do more than block, but I really thought he was developing very nicely.

As for Depalma, I believe he has been talking to NFL clubs. Will be a shame if they lose him to another CFL team though for sure. Really REALLY weird that Schilens would be around over him, though the club does seem to be making a move to more bigger bodied receivers, which I like. It used to be that there were only 1-2 over 6 feet tall, now I think it is 1-2 under (Dresser and Smith). Get versatile FBs to fill that utility role....I like that transition.

I tend to agree with the Ainsworth / Wellman comment. That is were the Foley move really stings...all their National depth on D (well, a lot) was in support of him. Now they are left with Nationals with no legit home. I get that the LB situation needed to be resolved, and BT was covering his arse bringing Emry in (can't fault him for self preservation), but it is a fundamental shift in how the D has been getting built for a few seasons.

What is concerning to me right now is that they have made a pile of transition on what was a pretty solid D already. Don't get me wrong, this DL should be as good as anything any team can put up when healthy, and they have that much needed inside LB, and I think we might see T-Brack move back up to LB to make MacDougall a ratio spot at Safety...I mean, he has the aggression they love for that spot, and it has turned into a make-em-pay role rather than a guy moving in for the big pick (each is its own art)...So that is all good, but when is there a splash on O?

What has happened on O? The Riders have lost 2 starters on the OL, dropped a receiver or 2 with promise, and brought in a couple guys who can be fabulous IF healthy. They re-signed Tino, who potential or not still has other baggage.
There is 460K between Getz and Dressler, 505k for DD, but they have dropped 2 big contracts on the OL, and essentially handed that money to the D. If Heenan, Jones, or someone else comes available into NFL cuts, will there be any money left? What is the plan on the OL? 2 Imports? Clark has been a liability on the line, but looked pretty good at center. Who starts at C...Watman (who they brought in for that) or Clark (who seems much more comfortable there)? The OL looked WAY WAY better when Best and Heenan where dressed and side by side, do you put Clark at C, Watman at RG, and see how best fairs out at RT? Right now it looks like 2 Imports on Tackle, Clark getting rotations and playing TE at times.

BT has done some good things on O this year, but he has a D grade on OL, and Nationals on the lines, IMO, is where this game is won and lost. I know he was hoping to land Heenan or Jones, and hey, one of those guys MIGHT become available...MIGHT...but what about the first 9 games, if they don't or if you have no money left to spend? Maybe Joe Eppele?

Right now, Ratio looks like this (for me):
2 on D
1 LB
1 S
There is no true National backup at LB, so rotations likely come on the DL. Emry is a great run-stopper, but can be lackluster in pass plays...so now when you want that big DL pass rush you are potentially needing to rotate a starter out to get a National in there.

5 on O
2 WR/SB
3 OL
So the option to get Nationals out there for depth on certain packages are bringing in Clark as a TE on Big sets, swapping out and downgrading significantly at RT, or on some plays a National FB.

Right now, Ratio looks tight, but very manageable. Not having 4 on the OL could sting.

This draft, there are a few good OLmen, so it is obvious the club needs to get a near game ready guy. It is a real shame they dropped their 2nd round pick, because the may have been able to land a guy like Varga at RB, and that would help. It also would have been really nice to see them land Addison Richards.

Nope,,, this cut of David Lee doesnt make any sense to me.

Agree. Good player. Just totally giving up on that spot as NI I guess. :confused:

I liked him a lot. Reliable. Good hands. Well rounded game. Even a go to guy in the red zone.

As for Depalma, I believe he has been talking to NFL clubs. Will be a shame if they lose him to another CFL team though for sure. Really REALLY weird that Schilens would be around over him,
No shit eh? Schilenz has done squat. DePalma makes plays.
I get that the LB situation needed to be resolved, and BT was covering his arse bringing Emry in (can't fault him for self preservation), but it is a fundamental shift in how the D has been getting built for a few seasons.
This concerns me big time. A move like this was classic 'Bad Taman' in years past, building his D around a big name MLB while neglecting his line and secondary, the exact opposite of how a defense should be built. Felt that perhaps he was learning his lessons starting with the Odell WIllis trade a couple years back, then going after Foley in '13. Now shipping him out for an expensive contract coming off a terrible year, sunds like he is regressing or at least panicking. Not happy with this one at all. Emry better sack 8 QBs and force 10 turnovers to make this worth while.

Get your LBs the smart cheap way. Find athletes in FA camps in the spring the way Shivers used to.