Riders, Leonard agree to two-year extension

REGINA –The Saskatchewan Roughriders have signed American defensive lineman A.C. Leonard to a two-year contract extension, the team announced on Monday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/01/10/riders-leonard-agree-two-year-extension/

Well I guess that's a big deal for them pesky Riders, good for Saskatchewan, I'm sure the rest of us will live to regret it. Big congratulations.

Pheww. I was worried he would be one of the ones Jones is tampering with. Riders needed to keep him.

I had that same thought with Willie Jefferson. Perhaps Mr. Jones reputation is getting in his way?

I think Jones is living in the Bomber & Rider heads. No surprise to anyone. Dunk's comment on Jefferson signing - "The threat of leaving Winnipeg to rejoin forces with Chris Jones gave Jefferson even more leverage than he already had in negotiations." I would be shocked if Leonard didn't get a big payday as well. I seem to recall you saying keep Jeffcoat & let Jones blow his CAP out signing Jefferson, CUP, some time ago, no. IMO the Bombers made the right move signing both but I can see the lineup
@ the gravy train. Everyone's expecting raises now. Meow. Cat's out of the bag.
Leonard was a good signing & had to be done. Congrats to the Riders. I expect they may have to get Lacey signed before Feb 8 or he's gone. Fun, fun, fun.

Hmm....that's a jumbled mess of inaccuracies.

I think Jones is living in the Bomber & Rider heads.

Myself personally Jones is not living in my head. Fact is I've made complementary comments towards Mr. Jones. I believe he will attempt to sign as many familiar veterans as he can......that said he will also bring in (as I stated more than once) a slew of young talented players who couldn't find Canada on a map.
That is great for the CFL overall.

"The threat of leaving Winnipeg to rejoin forces with Chris Jones gave Jefferson even more leverage than he already had in negotiations."

From memory, I'm not going back to research.
I believe for 2022, Jefferson would be in the neighborhood of $265,000. He signed for $225,000. $20,000 above last year, but very likely less he would get if he tested FA. You go find Jefferson's comments, it's out there.

I seem to recall you saying keep Jeffcoat & let Jones blow his CAP out signing Jefferson, CUP, some time ago, no.

Nope, not me :thinking:. You're smart, you know how to check my activity. If I said that, show me.

IMO the Bombers made the right move signing both but I can see the lineup @ the gravy train. Everyone's expecting raises now. Meow.

Again you're smart, two time Grey Cup championship players get increases, or move to other teams. Is that new?

I will bid you a good day sir.

1 Like

You may believe that Jefferson should make 265K but he MADE 205K (prorated 182K) in 2021. In ACTUAL $$ Jefferson is making 20K more than 2021 in reported $$. In my book, that's a raise. You can disagree with that if you like. The 265K figure you quote was, I assume, from 2020. Nobody made any money in 2020 except for a few lucky players with bonuses. The 265K for Jefferson in 2020 is as irrelevant today as the $700K 2 QB's in the CFL had on their contracts. The market is changing & deals have been rewritten on a regular basis since the pandemic hit. The CAP in 2021was 5.35MM, the floor $4.75MM. The Bombers have invested 650K in 2 DE's & Hardrick. With Collaros likely in at least 450K they'll be close to from 20%-25% of their salary in 4 players, depending upon whether the CFL uses the floor or ceiling. Teams usually have 4-5 players they can pay top $$ to from what I've heard. They can't afford to pay too many more players raises & they have set the tone early. We'll see what happens CUP. I hope they can get them all back but that's gonna take some kinda magic IMO.
As for my comment I did say I "seemed to recall you mentioned that" as a qualifier - so I was obviously wrong. My apologies, CUP. No offence intended. For the record I don't check back on activity. I get a notice & I'll usually respond to those.

1 Like

I get a notice & I'll usually respond to those.

To be clear. I didn't rattle your cage, you rattled mine.
I responded to Tailback. You initiated with a suggesting Mr. Jones lives in my head, then yammered on about CAP, CUP, gravy.....ended up meowing. :scream_cat: for some strange reason.
I was responding to you. And Ruff Ruff.... that's for the cat in you.:dog2:

You have a sweetheart of a day.

How much did he sign for, and did the new contract include his own private urinal stall? :laughing:

Ya, I definitely thought Jones would nab AC.
Hopefully the Riders didn’t break the bank.

As he should've. Leonard was dominant all season.

It'd be nice to see Micah Johnson return. He was one of the unsung heros of that d-line and probably a big reason for the success of Leonard and Woodard

2 Likes