Riders Get Another Receiver

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=newser&func=display&nid=15339]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=15339[/url]

REGINA (CFL.ca wire) -- The Saskatchewan Roughriders have acquired import receiver Thyron Anderson from the Montreal Alouettes on Friday in exchange for a conditional 2008 CFL Canadian Draft choice.

Anderson spent his first four CFL seasons with the Alouettes where he amassed 174 receptions, 2,434 receiving yards, and nine touchdowns in 51 career regular season games. Last season he compiled 60 receptions for 686 yards and four touchdowns while playing in all 18 regular season games, the Scotiobank East Championship and the Grey Cup.

The 26-year old enjoyed his best CFL season in 2004 when he had 76 receptions for 1,147 yards and three touchdowns. The Grambling product also missed a portion of the 2005 CFL season while attending training camp with the New Orleans Saints.

“Thyron is a skilled receiver with a unique combination of height and speed,? said Roughriders general manager and vice president of football operations Eric Tillman. “This acquisition is another positive step in upgrading our offence.?

[b]I think he is a solid receiver, but who is actually going to make the team as a receiver???

One other thing is: Tillman let Omarr AND Davin go because of the cap, yet he goes and gets another receiver...

I honestly dont see anything wrong with going over the cap a little bit. Its not a hard cap... There are just $ penalties for going over. If the Riders were honestly in the Top 2 in spending in the whole CFL while still making $$$, then I'm sure we could go over a little bit...

If they are gonna go sign all these WRs, why dont they go get Jamel Richardson again? He was having a breakout year until he got injured...

Anyways what are your thoughts?[/b]

bring in as many big-name receivers at camp, then keep 4 and cut the rest...no biggie.

he's just giving kerry joseph the best weopons he can find.

hey drummer this must put them on the top 3 on paper again hey lol

hey jman werent u and ur little farmer freinds always pissed we were over the cap shoes on the other foot and you like it hey, hypocritical a little?

jman—Thyron Anderson is as good or better than Richardson. Richardson will soon find that he has outgrown his shoes. Recievers are a dime a dozen in the US, as are running backs and KK will find that out too.

Dont be too suprised to see another couple of vets with high salaries be let go before TC, jman. Im sure a lot of teams are in the same boat, just a little bit over the cap, but not by a lot. A few teams will pay the penalty this year, IMO.

Haha yes hes your problem now. Hes got all the physical attributes to be a great receiver but he is very lazy. If hte pass is not thrown perfetly to where he is running or he has to fight with a DB for the ball he aint gonna make the catch. I am so glad that als finally got rid of him

Nothing wrong with signing lots of players to training camp. It won't effect the salary cap until the season starts.

If we were surprised at the veterans that have been let go already, just wait until the last exhibition game is over!

1st of all we are all farmers...

2ndly, it is different. Now, when you go over the cap you are actually penalized... :roll:

Just Plain Greedy
no wounder their Uniforms are Green

Isnt sayign that on our boards enouhg!?!?! lol

I wouldn't be too excited over the signing of the likes of Thyron Anderson if I were a Rider fan. If this guy can't even make the effort for Calvillo's passes he's going to be even worse with Joseph throwing to him. He's also afraid to take a hit, or fight for a ball in coverage.

Still as long as you didn't pay too much for him he could be a good addition to the Saskatchewan receiving corps. Just don't expect him to be a game breaker.

He seemed to get this 'bad rep' last season ... whereas he was good in 04/05?

Maybe the coaches fault ... ????

That one good year went to his head. And all the NFL teams willing to give him tryouts didnt help that either. He wont fight for extra yards and he wont make that extra effort in coverage or adjust his route if the pass is off. The coach at hte beginning of last year was the same coach that he got 1000 yards with so it aint hte coach

I agree he puts half an effort in. Just maybe one of these guys who thinks he is better then the CFL me thinks. :lol:

Unfortunately for us, 05, is that we had another guy who thinks he is too good for the CFL. I hope he is happy being a 3rd stringer(IF he is lucky) in Indianapolis.

or maybe he just wanted to get the heck out of regina and realy could you blame him.

Well not really it is a dream most american born players have. A shot at the NFL and you can not blame him for that. The signing bonus is attractive as well. There is a strong possiblity he will be cut and return to the CFL. This not only occurs in Regina but all teams have guys that try.

Honestly, whats your problem?

I wouldn't be too excited over the signing of the likes of Thyron Anderson if I were a Rider fan. If this guy can't even make the effort for Calvillo's passes he's going to be even worse with Joseph throwing to him. He's also afraid to take a hit, or fight for a ball in coverage.

Still as long as you didn't pay too much for him he could be a good addition to the Saskatchewan receiving corps. Just don't expect him to be a game breaker.

well blue we got him for a box of pencils, we gave up a conditional late round draft pick. and if we cut him the als get nothing. so there is literaly no risk and alot of potential for reward.

as for being lazy, maybe a fresh start on a new team where he has to prove himself against some execellent players will revive his career.

as for being lazy, maybe a fresh start on a new team where he has to prove himself against some execellent players will revive his career.

I thought the riders picked him up......:slight_smile: