'Riders filling running back void

June 23, 2007
The Saskatchewan Roughriders, who are trying to fill the running back void left by Kenton Keith who signed with Indianapolis in the off-season, have acquired Wes Cates from the Calgary Stampeders for veteran Canadian offensive lineman Rob Lazeo and a conditional draft pick, Sportsnet.ca has learned.

Cates, the backup behind Joffrey Reynolds, who finished second overall in rushing yardage last season, dressed for 17 regular-season games last year as a rookie and had 25 carries for 181 yards and two touchdowns. He also had 21 receptions for 286 yards and one touchdown.

Cates will now battle Henri Childs, Shermar Bracey and Fred Russell for the starting tailback job.

Lazeo is a journeyman lineman, who has been in the Canadian Football League since 1998. He spent his first four years with Winnipeg, then with Saskatchewan. He has been both a starter and backup and is expected to play guard for the Stamps.

This may have happened due to the injury to Armstrong. Wes Cates is a good running back.

My only concern is why we traded for an RB with a pass oriented offence. Isnt Cates more of a fullback 05?

No he is a running back and a very good one. His uncle played for the Stamps as well. But this guy is good.

Lazeo is not a bad olineman. The trade somewhat suprised me though, for w.e reason.

[url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Calgary/2007/06/24/4286695-sun.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 5-sun.html[/url]

http://calvulcans.com/fame/2006/cates.jpg

Wes Cates stepped off a plane from Regina to immediately find out he needed to catch one back.

Because of injuries to the offensive line, the Calgary Stampeders traded the running back to the Saskatchewan Roughriders yesterday for veteran Rob Lazeo.

"Obviously, they felt they could part with me," said Cates while he was leaving McMahon Stadium. "I don't know how to put it. They didn't see the neccessity to keep me or that they needed other players more than me. I'm going to look at it in the best possible light, though."

The Stamps, who lost the pre-season finale 23-21 Friday in Regina, will be without backup guard Derek Armstrong for up to two months after Armstrong broke his fibula.

With starting right guard Bobby Singh still battling a shoulder injury, centre John Comiskey just returning from an ankle problem and tackle Tyler Lynem recovering from torn thumb ligaments, the Stamps felt they needed some depth.

Lazeo fits the bill as a 10-year veteran who has previously played centre and guard.

"We got real thin quickly with those guys out and Tyler in a playing cast," said Higgins. "By having our centre and right guard not there, it hurts us. Godfrey Ellis is a much better guard than a centre but we didn't have another one with Comiskey being out.

"With Armstrong busting that leg, we were scouring for the possibility of Canadian offensive linemen."

With Cates gone, the backup job to Joffrey Reynolds now goes to Canadian Jon Cornish and import Ken Simonton. But the Stamps won't have to wait long to find out if trading Cates is a mistake.

If Cates gets into action, he will face the Stamps in Saskatchewan's home-opener July 8. He had a hard time picturing himself in their lineup yesterday because he was so fresh off losing to them.

"They played a heck of a game last night," Cates said. "From what they showed, they have as good a team as any.

"I think Saskatchewan is a good organization and they have a lot of good athletes. If they want me, it should be a good fit for me."

The Roughriders also have Henri Childs and Shermar Bracey on their depth chart.

great move for the riders IMO. he'll be the starting tailback and will fill in nicely. great way to fill the void

I really would have liked to see Cates on the Stamps, because he's a good RB, no doubt ... but considering he was up against Reynolds and Cornish, someone had to be the odd man out. Not Reynolds obviously, and Cornish is a high Canadian draft pick.

Dont wanna sound dumb, but who is Cornish :S

I think CanucKev already answered your question?

and Cornish is a high Canadian draft pick
But if you need more info, he was the 13th pick in 2006. Not all that high until you consider that using a pick on a player who you know will return to college is an investment...had he been available to draft this year, he was a guaranteed 1st round pick.

Cates/ Lazeo trade is a good one for both teams. Cates runs real well on the outside, with nice cuts and quick lateral moves. He is a bigger version of K.K. The other RB's are better north/ south runners. Cates also has good hands out of the back field that has not been seen from the other RB's yet in camp. Riders will benefit more from this trade.

The Riders will be very happy with Cates, don't you think so 05.

Yes for sure he does have the skill and moves to be a great running back. But with four guys in competition it is good the guy got a job where he can be the starter. Cornish and Reynolds will be on the starting line up with Simonton on the PR.

Eric Tillman comment:

"If Calgary didn't have Joffrey Reynolds, trust me, Wes Cates would have been a household name in the CFL last year," Tillman said. "Wes is big, fast, has very good hands and he can also be a significant factor in the return game."

I hope thats true, but think about who is saying it. Everytime the man talks about somebody it sounds like that nobody who it is...

If you meant to say, "no matter who it is..." I agree 100%.
ET has a very limited number of comments he makes about players, "(insert name here) is a character guy, with a great work ethic".
He does say almost exactly the same thing about everything he does.
It is quite annoying....
Wes Cates just got beat out in Calgary and became expendable. How does that translate into, "would have been a household name"?
I think he has potential, but at this point, so do the other 3 backs we have.
I wouldn't automatically assume Cates is a keeper.
And as the oldest back we now have....?

Thanks coach Arius Barrett!

If you meant to say, "no matter who it is..." I agree 100%.
ET has a very limited number of comments he makes about players, "(insert name here) is a character guy, with a great work ethic".
He does say almost exactly the same thing about everything he does.
It is quite annoying....
Wes Cates just got beat out in Calgary and became expendable. How does that translate into, "would have been a household name"?
I think he has potential, but at this point, so do the other 3 backs we have.
I wouldn't automatically assume Cates is a keeper.

Well, he did give up 2 NI's (gee I wonder why the math major in Cowtown needed more NI's) for him, so I would have to think he plans on keeping him.

Well, he did give up 2 NI's (gee I wonder why the math major in Cowtown needed more NI's) for him, so I would have to think he plans on keeping him.
I think it was very possible that Lazeo was about to be cut, and the draft pick is "conditional" which usually means it depends upon whether or not Cates makes the team, etc. So we didn't really give up all that much. I expect Cates to make the team, but it is not a done deal. I think the job is wide open right now. It sounds like Childs is ready to go, so we'll see who goes to the practice roster to make room for him. I think it will be Russell, but....