Riders Exceed Salary Cap But Keep Draft Choice

According to this article on tsn.ca today, the Riders were the only CFL team to exceed the 2008 salary cap but, as they exceeded it by less than $100,000, they do not lose a first round draft choice this year and the 2009 CFL draft order remains the same. The Riders do have to pay a fine of $87,147, the amount by which they exceeded the cap.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=273278

TEAM TILLMAN.

i wonder if bishop put them over??? lol

I don't think they had a 1st to give up did they???

Injuries put them over.

Interesting thought, if you know you’re over the cap trade your first found pick and get something for it.

I believe you have to be over the cap by 100,000 to lose a pick. I would also think that if you have traded a first overall pick in the current year, and the team has exceeded the cap, the team should lose their future 1st overall in return.

That’s what I was thinking when I first heard about this. The Riders were $87,147 over the cap, so in that case they would not have needed to first round draft pick. But what if they were at least another $12,853 over the cap? What would have happened of they were at least $100k over the cap, and thus, have to forfeit a first round pick when they did not have one to give up?

That might make some sense to make teams over the cap for forfeit future first round picks. But I would like to know if that is true. I could not find information on what would be done in the case anywhere on CFL.ca. Maybe future first or second round picks would be given up, maybe the fine would be greater. But hopefully something would be done, as would seem as if circumvention of SMS-related penalties could be done too easily if not.

87K is hardly over. The minimum salary is 41K.

Not sure what side of the scale you are on… but over is over… $1.00 is over

That’s like my wife saying “I’m hardly pregnant” at 3 weeks along

To word it better, a team gives up their “First pick!”
Look at last year. SSK had traded their first round pick to Montreal so they lost their second round pick.

When I was looking for information on this, I was referring to this page on CFL.ca which you can view if you click here. Here is an excerpt from that page:

Under the provisions of the SMS, set by the league’s Board of Governors, teams are fined one dollar for every dollar they exceed the cap up to 100,000 dollars, and [b]two dollars for every dollar they exceed the cap between 100,000 and 300,000 dollars, plus the loss of the team’s [i]first round[/i] draft pick.[/b] Teams are fined three dollars for every dollar they exceed the cap beyond $300,000 and they lose their first two draft selections.
But I see that on [url=http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=273278]this article on TSN's website[/url] a better explanation is given. Here is an excerpt from that article:
The Riders don't have a first-round pick in this year's draft, so had they been more than $100,000 over the cap, they would've forfeited their first available pick this year and continued to do so until they lost a first-round selection. As well, Saskatchewan would've been unable to include any draft picks in a trade until they gave up a first-rounder.
So that's where the question seems to be answered best.

I dont believe that explaination (from TSN) to be correct.
Like I pointed out, SSK lost a draft pick last year but had traded it to Montreal. SSK simply lost their second round pick. Furthermore, they had traded draft picks this year so TSN’s version seems to be way off base…Keep in mind that TSN reported last year that MTL would lose 2 picks, thier own first rounder and the one they had recieved from SSK. :roll:

That is not correct. The Riders were over the cap by less then 100k last year as well so weren’t penalised with the lost of a pick.