Riders coach guarantees Cornish will be stopped

Riders head coach has guaranteed that Cornish will not gather 100 yards against his defense this Sunday. Safe bet , or foolish bet?? hows 98 yards sound, still makes for a good day running the ball. His statement could backfire, not sure I'd make that assumption, Cornish can be a handful.

Should open up the passing game a little more.

I am sure they could stop him from having a good day if they were to fixate on that, but of course then Lewis and the rest would probably have a field day.

What he said based on another article I saw is that he expects his defense to hold Cornish below 100 yards and if they don't do it, there will be consequences. He specifically mentioned someone being replaced by another player.

Not quite the same thing as a guarantee.

What he said based on another article I saw is that he expects his defense to hold Cornish below 100 yards and if they don't do it, there will be consequences. He specifically mentioned someone being replaced by another player.

Not quite the same thing as a guarantee.

Chamblin’s exact quote from the TSN clip

“I’ll put a guarantee in the paper that John Cornish will not run for over 100 yards. If he does, someone will not be on the field next week”

“It’s a guarantee with a caveat”

So spin it however you want. :roll:

In essence; Cornish is on the verge of a 1000 yard season - Riders coach puts forth a good team message. Otherwise?..ect.

What of a 100 plus Cornish day and a Calgary loss?? Does someone still lose their job?

Oh the hype, Oh the game within a game..........................

Attaboy CC..............light that fire under some RR butts and fan it to a blaze.

...Cornish had a great response on the radio today: "I don't care if I get 5 yards, as long as we win the game"...

If Cornish gets 200 yards rushing and the Riders win, well, my guess is that no one will be sitting at all in Riderland.

Yeah what happens when Cornish has a 100 yard run for a TD on calgary’s first play from scrimmage :lol:

...guess I'm a little surprised this is coming from a head coach, thought this type of locker-room pin-up material should originate from a linebacker, or a DT..."if Cornish gets 100 yards on us then one of us needs to go" sort of thing...

sounds like someone is vwary vwary afraid of Cornish. Must be having nightmares. :wink:

He could be stopped for losses the rest of the game. 8)

But seriously, 2/3rds of your rushing yards are generated by your o-line. If you control the gaps and get off your blocks you will stop any RB whether it’s Cornish, Sheets or Walter Payton. The trouble for the RIders is not so much Cornish but a guy like Tsoumpas and a couple others.

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/article/staying-focused-cornish-unfazed-by-chamblins-guarantee]http://www.cfl.ca/article/staying-focus ... -guarantee[/url]

Cornish unfazed?

Oh?

He doesn’t care what Chamblin says but it does give him something to focus on. So he does care.

And let’s go back and take a look at that guarantee …

He did not guarantee anything about how many yards Cornish will get. He guaranteed that IF Cornish got over 100 yards, someone on the RIDERS would lose their spot on the depth chart.

Now, I don’t think that it was very smart for Chamblin to make this public statement, but he obviously HAS messed with Cornish’s head. Cornish always has had an arrogant streak to him. I thought that he had matured but calling out his linemen last month was bush if you ask me.

I don’t think the Rider D line is good enough to overcome the Calgary line, so the only way it happens is if a LB shadows him every play…play action could be a nightmare right out of the gate. If I am the Stamps, I fake up the gut and pass 8 yards over the middle 1st play to prove a point.

I’d have to agree with that.

Let’s make no mistake. This was not a wise move to go public with your depth chart. All it takes is one big play.

What if the Riders play lights out defense for 59 minutes, then Cornish busts off a 50 yarder in the last minute to give him like 102 yards total? Or what if Cornish is sprung free by an uncalled illegal block putting him over 100? Do you still bench someone? If you don’t, you’re just a hot air hypocrite.