Riders/Bombers

Need to figure out a way to contain Chick a little better. 2 sacks in the first Q is too many.

I still say it’s the key to the game wolverine; if they don’t figure out a way to stop him it’s gonna be a long night.

Another week, another game watching Grigsby get stopped on first contact going up the middle on handoffs. It’s like watching Boltus last year on short yardage, you just know it’s not going anywhere.

You could be right. For me, I think it’s the teams that may affect the outcome. They are going toe to toe on offense and defense. May come down to a couple special teams breakdowns or plays that help put up a few extra points on the board at this point.

Wow. Willy puts together a drive starting from the 6. Just a beauty.

Good ball game. Washington either has to run it out of the end zone with some speed or give up the single on that missed fg. Bombers haven't gone deep yet, probably will soon.

Nice to see Sara Orlesky wearing her grandmothers drapes for the game tonight! :smiley:

Washington fumbles again......wish they'd stop using this guy on kick returns.

Yes, one good thing the old coaching staff did was realize the risks with him returning outweighed the rewards. He hasn't gotten better in that regard.

Messam is killing us. And with a slim lead we don't have any semblance of a running game with Grigsby to help run the clock down a bit.

We played well against the defending GC champs, with basically a new team with injuries. We won't win every game but as long as we learn from the losses, we will progress... I really wish they would stop running Grigsby up the gut. It seldom works... Please call Sask just once for their O-line holding on every play, just once, so I know the refs still know how to recognize it.... WE lost the game, more than Sask. won it... Still, entertaining football..

Heck of an effort. Should've been a win, but a fumble recovered for a TD followed by a huge special teams mistake giving up more points, thankfully held to only a FG thanks to a good D stop gave the Riders momentum. After getting ol mo back after retaking the lead on that Kohlert TD, we give the game away with a couple of late turnovers. Hard fought and the team can build from this. Toronto and Montreal up next before Labour Day/Banjo should offer a nice chance to rebound.

Then Messam ran over us basically and we were still in the game. You have to give the D credit, they held everyone on that Rider O in check until Messam came in. If anyone had suggested the bombers would hold Durant to 115 yards in the game passing beforehand they would've been laughed at, yet that's what this D did. Full credit. Only 1 sack but a number of hurries.

Grigsby - 10 carries, 7 yards. Just awful. This game might be enough to sit him and give Cotton a start. Good game receiving but Cotton showed in preseason he can catch out of the backfield as well. We've watched a lot of little guys here over the years like Roberts and Reid break through the middle many time and I though well, maybe Grigsby's just to big, and the Messam who's no dwarf himself killed us going up the middle.

I just realized that we don't get our first bye week for another 5 games!! And our 2nd bye week is the last week of the regular season. With the first third of the schedule featuring a lot of east vs west games, could be a nice advantage for us to have west teams beating up on each other while we have 2 off weeks down the stretch.

Not often you lose the turnover battle by a half dozen and still have a shot in the last minute! Riders only had 12 first downs but when your defense scores twice a win is still possible. Tough one for the Bombers to lose but 5-2 still ain't bad! Sure beats what we've been watching the last few years...

Agree :thup:. In spite of the score, the game was exciting and entertaining. I like the fact that there is no quit in this team. On the futile last play there was still fight in the players. I can forgive a lot when I see that type of determination …We need to get the ‘killer instinct’. In our league a 10-3 lead in the first quarter is not going to hold till the end of the game, thankfully. I think we have a good team that is going to get better. There will be ups and downs but we can let our breathes’ out. This team is for real. I don’t start watching a game thinking ’ how are we gonna F this game up ? ’ anymore. I’m positive and confident… I think Brohm and Marve should get more chances to play.

Wolverine29; Grigsby was running into a wall when he ran up the gut, Messam was knocking guys down. Wonder where Will Ford will show up next ?

So do you think it’s an oline issue or is it a Grigsby issue?

Good question ! I think if Grigs had the holes, he would produce. Might have to lay blame on both though. It hasn’t been working for a while now, hence the low running %.

…What the hell happened…We were doing so well and the wheels fell off…I think we had the riders running game in check, until they inserted Messam and he ‘messed’ us up…while Willy and company ‘messed’ the bed in the second half…Sask. came in here on a short week and it looked like we were the ones playing with little rest in the end…We definitely have to look at Washingtons fumble on a punt return, as a turning point and the turnover just previous to that…I hope we’ve seen the last of Washington on returns…Woods may not be flashy but at least he secures the ball…We need to also look at the running game…We are only adequate in that area BUT it’s not only on the backs…The o line does not do a very good job of opening holes for Grigsby or Cotton for that matter when he’s in…This team is still a work in progress for sure, but I agree with Dan, there’s no quit in these guys…Credit that to the coaching…It was scary to see Willy go down and grab at his knee on the one play…I thought …uh oh…not another Buck type injury BUT he came around pretty good after the hit…I would have liked to have seen a little more of marvellous Marve for a few more plays and a little change of pass…This guy can gun the ball and is accurate as hell…Riders did it with the running game although I don’t know if it was out of choice or was it because Forde came up lame…Short week for us as we’re playing T.O. Tues…I hope we’re not too banged up…We could be in for a tough haul :roll:

......I forgot to add one thing about last nights game, the catch by Kohlert ...thing of beauty...We need to use this guy more...he's money... :thup:

Absolutely love him as a receiver. Doesn’t get the ball often and when he does it’s often a tough catch. Should reward him more in the pass game

My two cents are that it’s probably a bit of both, but I’d lean more to the O line.

Bombers were missing starters so they had inexperienced lineman up against the Riders’ fearsome front four. Add to that Richie Hall had their D lineman stunting a lot and in a variety of ways (DT stunts, DE/DT stunts and so on) and the Bombers’ backups had all kinds of trouble handling that; I suspect that contributed to their inability to open up holes for Grigsby, as well as a few well timed run-blitzes that Hall also threw at the Bombers.

On the other side of the ball, the Bombers’ D line did a good job of preventing the Riders from opening up holes for their running game as well. . . well at least in the first half. In the second half, they didn’t have to open holes, Messam bulldozes his own holes.

Now if only Kuale had hung on to that gift pick in the 4th quarter. . . .

Huh, so 2 votes for a bit of both on whether the problem is Grigsby or Oline, though MadJack is leaning more towards Oline. Interesting.

From my perspective, I putting a lot of the onus on Grigsby mainly because we've had a subpar oline for such a long time and yet other guys have found a way to get it done up the middle, at least for some yards. Take last year's dismal season, for instance. We had injury issues all year long, guys were rotated in and out, and we even started both Dan Knapp and Jarvis Jones one week after only one days practice. Swiston and Pencer all rotated in at different points Parenteau as well. And all that with Pat DelMonaco as Oline coach and not Bob Wylie who is more regarded. And despite all that both Chad Simpson and Will Ford put up over 500 yards rushing each with an over 5 yard/carry average.

There was a lot of talk last night about Grigsby being second in the league for rushing but he's gotten more touches than any other RB. Harris in BC has 30 more yards on 20 fewer carries and they have their own Oline issues. His avg per carry is 3.9, worst amongst the top 30 rushers or so, and in the top 10 the next lowest per carry average is Whitaker at 4.9. Vs BC he line read 15 car 19 yrds. Take away his longest carry and he had 14 carries for 2 more yards. Last night, 10 car 7 yards. Take away his longest run and he had 1 yard on 9 more carries. Two of the last three weeks have been absolutely terrible to say the least. We're regressing when we should be better having hired Bob Wylie to coach the line and added Pat Neufeld. From that standpoint, I feel like Grigsby may be more of the problem.

Yup! He’s a good Saskatchewan boy! Would like to see him come home a play in a Green jersey… I thought WPG lost him in the expansion draft? You guys are lucky to have him… He’s a keeper!