Riders become odds on favourites to win Grey Cup in 2013

If you get to the Grey Cup, don't forget that your 13 th player was not allowed.

Smart move by wally. Saves major $$ for average receiver at this time in his career. Great guy Geroy but $125,000 is to much.
May help Sask marginally at best. Can buy a team

That’s either brilliantly witty or…

Yea I cant see how anyone could say that the Riders have the worst defense. With the players they had on paper they could have easily been the worst defense. The D backfield never found the right combination. The DEs did not get the pressure on the QB. They played half a season with a MLB who was not a MLB and somehow they come out 2nd in points allowed.
It was proven last year that there is so much import talent out there that have never played in the CFL that you can turn around a certain part of your team with brand new Free Agent imports from NCAA rookies to 5 year NFL bubble/practice roster players. Thats not to say that there is no Canadian talent but in the CFL everyone pretty much knows who the top Canadian players are.
Toronto rebuilt there D backfield with an NFL free agent turned CFL all star CB in Watkins, a former NFLer with one year left in Ahmaad Carrol, and a no name from the Arena League in Pacino Horne.
The esks uncovered two starting LTs in two basically career practice roster players in the NFL in Orrin Thompson in which they kept and Xavier Fulton in which they traded to the Riders. The Riders drafted two rookies with major impact Heenan an instant starter and Hurl an instant ST sensation. found LB Abraham Kromah a true rookie from Duke of all places and transformed Brackenridge in his second year to the best SAM LB. Chamblain was an NFL bubble player who played in the CFL so he knows just how good and how little difference there is in a guy who just mkes the NFL roster and a guy who just misses.

Honestly I'm sick of people ragging on the Riders for only winning 3 championships. Yes it is the least of all the teams, yes we wish it was all more. BUT WHEN THERE WAS NO SALARY CAP WE COULDN"T COMPETE with the other teams because we didn't have deep pocket owners. THe only reason we won those three is because of players we drafted, well in 07 the dispersment draft kinda helped too. But since the salary cap went up for the 2007 season the Riders have made it to the playoffs every year except one, been to 3 grey cups and won one of them....should have been two but we can't count. Coincidence, i don't think so.

Thanks for the laugh. The riders will miss the playoffs in 2013. You can take that to the bank dude

a look at the players we have lost and I am not too confident in the lions right now, but really, I think the west is gonna be a toss up again. Down the stretch, health of the teams will most likely be a deciding factor.

as early predicition, with a lot to happen still

cal
edm
bc/riders down to the wire

I just cant see Edm being that good this season. As for Calgary, I dont think Drew Tate is all people make him out to be. But your guess is as good as any anyway.

I beleive in huffnagal. he is my favortie coach by far. doesnt matter if tate fails, huff finds a way. just like last yr.

I expect more from edmonton believing that Reilly may be the second coming of flutie, almost.

Flutie was a great receiver, not sure if Reilly has the hands or the moves. :cowboy:

the riders as grey cup favorites? man, c’mon… what a ridiculous concept… hate saying this but since regina is hosting the grey cup this year, that will put a ton of pressure on them to make it to the final and i just dont see it happening… no way the home team makes the grey cup 3 years in a row unless u are sold to david braley.JUST dont see it, sorry but bc or even calgary or toronto id say are the favorites… more so than sask atleast.

i know i shouldnt feed the troll but… like some reality is needed.

I’m pretty sure this thread was started as a joke

This is the CFL…any team could take it. When it comes down to it you are only as good as your backup QB. It is hard to judge anything in these league until a few games into the season. A few concerns for each team going it:

Montreal - AC is a machine, but they have apparently lost their backup (through he might be available). The bigger concern is new coaching staff. Trestman was an amazing CFL coach…big shoes to fill

Hamilton - The big thing is that when Austin walked into the Regina as HC he had a team that Shivers had pretty much already built and needed some tweeking…I’m not sure that is the case in Hamilton, at least on D. The D can come together pretty fast by finding a key couple guys and the right DC…won’t know until we see them if that has happened. Bottom line…the Cats gave up 32ppg last year…have they done enough to shave it by 6 points?

Toronto - You always have a target on your back as the champs. I liked the look of the Argos out of the gate last year, many disagreed. The did end up as a .500 team, but they looked near perfect in the GC. I am sure there is a little concern about having to replace a few guys on the DL. They also either need to sign Mann or bring in a replacement.

Winnipeg - Will buck stay healthy? I am shocked they have not brought someone else in…healthy or not, buck should hang em up. He has to be one blow to the head away from causing serious damage. Can you imagine the media nightmare if something serious happens to him at this point? 21ppg is not enough. This club seriously needs to address its OL as their QBs are always getting some nasty hits…happened darned near every game in 2012

BC - A contender every year, Buono knows how to put together a team, and focusing on that full time has to help. The Lions have had a few really big re-signings in Olafioye, Gore and Elimimian, when many thought all 3 were US bound, but they have also lost some big names including a couple potential HOF receivers and a promising QB at backup. Wally has a keen eye for QBs, so I am not too concerned about that. I view BC as likely the favorite for 2013…Buono is doing a beautiful job of transitioning to some youth while staying a legit team.

Sask - New OC…the O has had stretches of struggle the past few seasons…this must put a lot of pressure on DD. Alex Smith was perhaps one of the best LB coaches in all of football, and is gone. D was pretty good last year, rated 2nd, and the secondary is improved, but the DL, mainly DE, there are some big question marks. The other question mark…did the team overspend on Geroy. His experience is invaluable, but are they going to sacrifice a speedy youth like Brooks over it, and will it handcuff them if there is a big injury mid season.

Calgary - I am still a little shocked Romby Bryant is not in red…I figure he likely had to go to keep Taylor. Thus far the Stamps have not faired well in the FA market…I don’t believe they have signed anyone, and they have lost a couple. That said, Huff has built a team with depth, and has a superb 1-2 QB combination…perhaps the best in the league. While the Stamps have not made a lot of moves thus far, it is hard to say they had to. I thought they might bight hard on Brackenridge. If there is a weakness on their D it is LB speed. Need 1 more solid NI WR and a NI weak side OT.

Edmonton - A lot of hopes are hung on the shoulders of Reilly. I think the single biggest question mark is the same as last years and the previous…is the OL good enough? Then, they have a pile of NI WR, but no SB, which contradicts the way most clubs go these days. While the Esks did have a solid 25ppg against their D and were an interception machine, they spent a pile of time on the field and gave up the most yards last year. the new DC may be able to stem that.

The Riders may not be odds on favorite as always anyone can win the Grey Cup but in less than two seasons Chamblin and Taman Combo are going about things in the right way. Last year they solidified the O Line focusing free agency on to top Canadian Oline man. Drafting another in Heenan acquiring import Fulton at LT. Also developing Neufeld to play RT. They hit the Non CFL import FA for RB position in coming up with sheets.
Last season there was no consitant line up for the DBs. They went and fixed that problem by signing there own FAs going and gettin 2 in FA and finally turning the safety spot over to Butler. Even though Butler was an all star in his rookie 2011 season Chamblain chose to go with a vet inport in Patrick and focus Butlers assingment on coverage teams which were awesome. Bryce McCall should fit in very well on special teams so Butler can focus more on his safety spot

Still some more fish taking the bait Turkey... awesome! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am not as shocked that Winnipeg has not brought in a new QB but that they still have yet to release Buck Pierce. Both Elliot and Brink Impressive college resume will be entering there 4th season, It is time for the BBs to relize that Buck Pierce does not give them the best chance to win and give both Elliot and Brink some confidence and a QB battle in camp. So far neither has been given any chance at all no matter how well they have done or not done Buck when he is healthy which was rare he was the startr

I disagree. I think Buck Pierce does give them the best chance to win, but the problem is that he isn’t healthy enough to help them win on a consistent enough basis. The Bombers are a better team with Pierce under centre. Sadly, for Pierce and Bomber fans, he isn’t durable enough to be under centre for a full season (and the year he was, they went to the Grey Cup).

Thats the point he can not give the team a the best chance to win because he rarely plays. Its been 3 seasons and even the season they went to the gray cup the second half of the season that he was in the line up for was a disaster. he had 3 seasons it is time to give the young QBs their chance

Every QB the bombers have put in there has been absolutely rocked. Look at some of the nastiest QB hits each year and likely 5 of top 10 for the past 2 season would be on the bombers. They either need a quick release master like Ray, or a better line. Few QBs you put in that situation will excel. Jyles looked okay, which is actually kind of surprising because he is not an underneath passer. Buck is capable of being sensational…but for the love of god he needs some protection. From a PR standpoint alone, if I am Bomber brass, I would be nervous of Buck getting that one more big hit and the immense fallout that could easily sweep the football world. Yes, I realize that any player can take that hit at any time, but at this point if buck gets it they would be raked over the coals.

I can not agree more with the Buck Pierce situation. He has planned for life after football and owns a restuarant in Winnipeg. Not releasing Pierce or Pierce retiring the Bombers and pierce are taking a huge risk.
As for the O Line they did sign Mark Dewit from Calgary an experienced Canadian interior Lineman and if Andre douglas can return healthy and return to LT moving January back to RT the Oline takes on a whole new idendity