Riders add former NFL star Vince Young to neg list

why do you suppose Franklin made his public tweet to Moon instead of going private? he sent a message and has now made his choice. He is not asking for anything and riding it out. Hervey in turn will ask for the sun and moon and if he gets it, great…if not he has his insurance for the season. if the season falls apart he moves one of the 2 QBs…if not he holds them both as insurance and trade one of them at the deadline or after the season for whatever he can get. What is more valuable? a first round pick or a solid backup for a potential GC run? he has zero need to trade for anything as he will still get something respectable post season for his rights. the only way that he has potential need to move him is for a big name on D if a bunch of their FAs walk.

These poor Rider fans “dreaming” of Franklin for a whole year now…
A season is lifetime in the CFL. Jones may not even be employed in Saskatchewan by the time Franklin has to make a decision. Franklin is in a great spot. He has a chance at starting if Reilly goes down. and next off season he is a free agent and can explore NFL opportunities and if that fails can then negotiate with any team in the CFL. In the meantime the risk of injury being QB2 in Edmonton is infinitely small compared to starting behind that Green OFFENSIVE line.

…‘good friend Jones’ :roll: …Corky doesn’t have any friends :lol: …I was of the mind that Franklin might be traded as well after the Esks. signed Smith…but I’ve changed my thoughts on that move…Hervey is trying to extend him at present and I think he has persuaded Franklin that his future is in green and gold…Riley is not showing signs of any longevity in this league as far as his injuries and penchant for taking a pounding…Hervey likes the insurance, I believe, and is not prepared to part ways with Franklin anytime soon…I think he remains in Edm, this season, and will decide to make a decision in free agency 18’about his future…AND in that event , and at that time, there will be a lot of suitors waving a lot of cash… :wink:

How do you know what Moon advised Franklin to do? Facts are that Franklin could be be starting and making 4-5x as much money THIS season, and he knows it. If you don’t think that is not incentive to request a trade then I guess there is no point arguing. Do you feel as though Franklin should just give up all that extra money and just ride it out with the Esks in hopes that he might be able to take over for Franklin in 2-3 years? The writing is on the wall for Franklin in Edm, the longer Hervey hangs on to him the less leverage he has to get good return. There is a reason why Jones is being patient at the QB position, he knows Franklin is on his way here eventually. :slight_smile:

Franklin isn’t an idiot, he has zero reason to up with the Esks especially considering how much money they are already paying Reilly. Franklin holds the cards, not Hervey. If Hervey keeps him at league minimum this year, Franklin goes public with a potential trade request. :slight_smile:

Im not dreaming of anything other than moving into the new $300M stadium in a few months. And if you think that Franklin is ok with being QB2 in Edm making peanuts instead of being QB1 in Sask with the leagues cash cow then I guess there is no point discussing this. :thup:

…And if you are correct and Franklin wants a trade, what’s stopping Hervey from trading him anywhere but Sask…He has no luv for Jones…that you can bet on…He’d probably entertain an offer from T.O. if he could get the right deal first …Hervey would not want Franklin playing in the west and strengthen a division rival…BUT that’s all conjecture as Hervey is not going to part ways with Franklin ,any time soon, as it appears presently

Franklin is happy in Edmonton right now anyway. He's learning a whole lot more from Maas and Reilly than he would be from the Trestman photocopy of a photocopy in Saskatchewan. He knows the money will come, the idea that he would try and force a trade is pure fantasy and really out of character, this isn't Kent Austin type ahole we are talking about.

It always amazes me how some of you guys know how someone you have never met , thinks or feels.

It always amazes me that some people do not understand the basic concept of a forum.

hmm…lets see…because Moon has been the guys mentor for years and Franklin publicly put it up there that he needed advise on his future and Moon replied no problem…get in touch with me…just throwing it out there…pretty obvious they talked about career options.

Certainly wish Vince Young well on his comeback attempt. Hope he understands that such a Herculean challenge requires the best he has to offer. No doubt, his arm is still strong, but issues like accuracy, foot-work, making the right reads, etc., will make or break his comeback.

Yup, & it’s quite likely that Moon told Franklin not to settle for sitting on the bench & making peanuts while the opportunity is there to make 5x as much & have a franchise built around him. Or do you think Moon recommended he sit on the bench & waste a season?

Franklin has the opportunity to learn from 2 vet QBs, Glenn & Jackson. He also knows the opportunity for him to be an immediate starter may not be there next year if the Riders develop a guy like Jake Waters. Opportunity is now for Franklin & you can bet your bottom dollar he knows it.

If other teams are already commited to a starter, they would not give up as much in a trade for Franklin. And even if Hervey did trade Franklin out East, why would he sign a new contract out there knowing what awaits him in Regina? One has to remember that players are very loyal to Jones & with their close personnel relationship & the fact it was Jones who gave him his opportunity it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out where he ends up.

Please Please sign him

Ed Hervey

Agreed fully Not Saskabush!!!

You can bet there are several other teams interested in Franklin considering how well he has played in his few starts. Looks like the most promising backup since Reilly and Collaros. There would be a few teams that see him as an upgrade on the current/potential starters.

Regardless of the team interested in Franklin’s services, the team would have to pay a steep price to pry him from Edmonton before the beginning of the season. If Reilly is injured, Franklin provides the Esks with starter quality reps. In fact, he has impressed so much that the Esks would barely skip a bear if he had to play the majority of the season. Edmonton would still be a Grey Cup contender Franklin at the controls. The other backups have little or no experience and might be terrible starters so without Franklin, a season-ending injury would essentially be the end of any Grey Cup aspirations for the gold and green.

That is why a team will have to pay through the nose to get Franklin this year. The Riders would have to pay an even higher price given Hervey and the Esks’ acrimonious relationship with Jones. Jones would have to give up this year’s first rounder, another first rounder/St. John, a mid-round pick (3rd or 4th and an import player of some note…perhaps one of the Riders starting receivers. Who knows? Considering what would be a fierce competition for Franklin, Jones might even have to throw in another draft pick/solid import player to seal the deal.

Even if Hervey waits until the end of the season, which is probably how things will ultimately turn out, it’s likely that he will obtain a substantial return for negotiating rights to Franklin. Start with a second/third rounder and if the team who trades for those rights successfully signs him there will probably be further compensation like a first rounder. With the high likelihood of another underwhelming season ahead of his team, Jones will be desperate to save his job and will do whatever it takes to secure the rights to Franklin to appease the angry (inbred) horde in Regina. That will ultimately mean losing multiple picks and maybe even a few roster players.

The Last Word

On Vince - I would rather they give him a view in Florida then at an actual training camp. If as I suspect he is a complete waste of time - then he will be thanked and shown the gate like many others at that camp. Now if he gets an invite to camp that's a whole new story ( not a good one at that )

On Franklin - they guy is going to sign were it makes sense to him so speculation means zip. If you would have asked Rider fans a year ago about Darian signing in Montreal we would have told you to put the pipe down. A year from now any number of CFL teams could be looking for a starter - There could be demand for third string QB's in the NFL - who knows.

All I care about is seeing my team not crapping the bed next year and being above .500

It's very difficult for QB's to make the transition from the NFL to the CFL, even for a player in his prime. The longer a QB plays in the NFL it seems the more useless he is for the CFL. Longtime NFL backup QB's seem to really struggle to pick up the pace of the CFL.

Sometimes its better to sign a NCAA QB then mold him into the CFL style of play from the start. Some guys just have it, like Jon Jennings and perhaps James Franklin (incomplete report card). A couple years in the NFL might have turned them into robots.

What would Warren Moon say to Franklin? Honour your contract and get established in the CFL before trying out in the NFL. That's apparently the advice Moon gave Casey Printers after his 2004 MOP season. Go down to compete for a NFL starter's job not a training camp scrub. Printers ignored that advice.

Moon played 6 years in the CFL then received offers from 17 NFL teams when he decided to play down south. The Oilers gave Warren the highest contract offer in the history of the NFL, up to that time. The Seahawks matched that offer but refused to guarantee it, which the Oilers did.

Printers spent almost the entire season on the K.C. Chiefs practice roster in 2006, then was cut after preseason in 2007, ending his NFL career.

Vince Young? I'd say his chances of ever starting a CFL game at 5% and him becoming a star player at 1%. So I'm saying there is a chance... :wink: