Rider Introspection

Now that the Esk vs Rider debacle is past and we've had time to reflect with alalytical perspective rather than emotions, I would like to offer my view of what the problem is.

The Riders are an organization; and like any organization may be able to look at their problems and solve them or perhaps not.

Since we are a community team, our BOG is made up of enthusiastic volunteers. As this is not their full time job, the BOG cannot be expected to micro-manage the organization and therefore require a strong GM to run the Org. and interface with the BOG, Tillman was a strong GM.

When Tillman left and Taman was hired, the BOG recognized he was less then strong and elevated their strongest team member, Miller, to interface with the BOG.

Taman then hired Berry and Daly, both of which have something less then a winning record. Perhaps with the mentorship of Miller, the duo might be effective. Unfortunately, Miller doesn't have the time to babysit his charges as he has other responsibilities, like interfacing with the BOG.

The only way to fix this problem is to restructure the organization, which must be done by the BOG. Since the BOG is basically a committee, it could take a long time, if ever, for this to occur.

Think you’re forgetting a change in governance in the Saskatchewan Football Club that was made in the not too distant past. They created the position of CEO, much like other clubs (example Lyle Bauer in Winnipeg previously) who was a BoDs appointment ie. Jim Hopson. In so doing, they wanted to have the football side of the operation run by professionals, not volunteers. The CEO interfaces with the BoDs, not the HC or Vice of football operations.
Are the BoDs enthusiastic fans? First, they are all from Regina except for a lone Saskatoon member. Secondly, they are all prominent and influential people, who by the way, are fairly well to do financially. But you are right in that they are not professionals when it comes to football, with one exception. They are volunteers. But they do have the power to change or pick the CEO. It is the CEO who picks the GM , who in turn picks the HC, who in turn picks his co-ordinators and positional coaches.
Mr Hopson changed it around so that the HC became the Vice, and hence the boss of the GM. Why you ask. I have my idea why, but my idea doesn’t matter because I am not on the BoDs.

Recently heard one of the BoDs say that with the way the Riders are playing recently, the Board is lying low. I was itching to ask who on the BoDs did not support Tillman, but keeping my job was more important.

Recently heard one of the BoDs say that with the way the Riders are playing recently, the Board is lying low. I was itching to ask who on the BoDs did not support Tillman, but keeping my job was more important.

You’re essentially saying, the Riders may never, ever be a good team. Really? :? :expressionless: