Ricky Williams on Monday Night

Couldn't find much on TV last night, so I watched a bit of the NFL game last night, remembering that Williams was possibly going to play for the Dolphins.

Thanks to some new sod, and a bunch of rain, the conditions were awful. Either way, Williams had 6 carries for 15 yards, and had a fumble. He left the field after it appeared he injurred his right shoulder. Final score 3-0 for Pittsburgh. Glad I went to bed instead of watching the entire game, in fact I kept falling asleep trying to watch.

I was a little irked when the anouncers stated Williams had not played with contact since he last played in the NFL, and he shouldn't expect to do too much because of this. After watching the replay when Ricky fumbled, it appears Williams was hurt when a player stepped on his shoulder going for the loose ball, not the contact that created the fumble. The anouncers did know that he had played 11 games in the CFL last year, and that he broke his arm, but I guess they must think the CFL is flag football, and he broke his arm rolling dubees. Do your homework boys, he was nothing special in the CFL, and will be nothing special in the NFL. Also, the hits in the CFL are just as hard as those in the NFL, the calibre of football is not that much better. I haven't heard any interviews with Williams, but I really believe that he would set the record straight on this.

At least Chris Berman had some highlights on the Grey Cup at half time. At first I thought he was poking fun at the CFL (sorry, but it looks kind of tacky when the Mounties carry out the cup), but I think it was actually an honest report on the game. Good for Chris.

I was a little irked when the anouncers stated Williams had not played with contact since he last played in the NFL, and he shouldn't expect to do too much because of this.
I believe the announcer said..."William has not had contact in the NFL for 22 mths." Which is true.

with just over four minutes left in the game the announcers did a scoring recap of the game.

The re-cap was hilarious.. I give the announcers credit, they didn't even try to present the game as a "classic defensive struggle" like they usually do with the real boring games.

Berman may do some tongue-and-cheek stuff re the CFL, but he does arguably give it the most press of all the in-studio analysts in the American media...

Oski Wee Wee,

And people say the CFL is bush? A field with no markings because they were washed away? Talk about a recipe for groin pulls and other injuries.

An Argo-Cat fan

And people say the CFL is bush? A field with no markings because they were washed away? Talk about a recipe for groin pulls and other injuries.
So you're saying the NFL is bush because of the weather???

Pretty sure the same thing happened at the 1970 Grey Cup at CNE Stadium. The game was between Mtl & Calgary. The field had been replaced with new sod just days before and everyone was assured it would be fine. It wasn't, it rained and by game time the field was a mess. I can remember watching players pick up whole rolls of sod and throw them to the side lines. If anything the field was worse than last night and that was the league championship.(I think it was 1970, feel free to correct me if I am wrong:) )

Do your homework boys, he was nothing special in the CFL, and will be nothing special in the NFL.
Practice what you PREACH jonesie ... Ricky Williams' NFL RESUME and list of ACCOMPLISHMENTS - would SUGGEST he has ALREADY BEEN something SPECIAL in the NFL and will CONTINUE to CONTRIBUTE at a high level ...

MY homework SUGGESTS you are IGNORANT and can APPRECIATE LITTLE when it comes to TALENTED HUMAN BEINGS.

Peace.

Williams NFL accomplishments are a thing of the past..He was a flop in Toronto and from the looks of things last night will be a flop in the NFL... William real talent lies in his ability to smoke dope...

(Meanstreak) MY homework SUGGESTS you are IGNORANT and can APPRECIATE LITTLE when it comes to TALENTED HUMAN BEINGS.

Peace.

Wow! That's downright mean and defamatory!
You come by your handle honestly, don't
you?

You actually base this man's opinion of Ricky Williams as being ignorant when it come to accessing the talent of other human beings ?

That's rather strong brother.

I have to smile when you end all of your tirades with the word, "PEACE."

regardless of whatever was said and whatever the topic, you are one NASTY PIECE OF BUSINESS, aren't you? SOUR TOO! ...

regarding ricky: so he's a better human being than a running back, that's no crime.
i like what one of those mega-paid nfl observer-media pundits said about ricky last year, that he was not even the best running back on the argos.
my list of argo running backs in ricky's year places him third, behind jeff johnson (no. 1) and john avery.

PEACE!

Ricky is now down for the season...so his season stats will read, 6 carries, 15 yards.

Neither the NFL, nor Ricky are bush.

Meanstreak:
There is no place on this forum for this type of post. Practice what YOU preach.
Peace.

I agree with mr62cats and the others who spoke in the same vein.

I am glad to see the responses after I read this post, but let me add my two cents.

I am sure everyone on this site is aware of Ricky's accomplishments in the PAST in the NFL without doing any homework. While stranger things have happened, in my opinion, I don't believe Ricky will show us much in the future.

When I posted that the announcers should do there homework, this is because they are professional sports broadcasters and it would not have taken them much effort to get some stats on Ricky in the CFL, and determine that he wasn't really that spectacular. I really think the fact that Ricky took some time off from the sport previously (not the lack of contact, CFL or NFL) is probably a bigger factor as to why he is not the player he once was.

As far as being ignorant, please don't judge me based on a post on this website. If I didn't appreciate talented athletes, I wouldn't watch sports, and I watch and play plenty, not just football.

I hope that your pointed attack towards me does not reflect your general personality, and hope this was just a mean streak coming out. If this is how you communicate with others, all I can say is peace back, and HAVE A NICE DAY.

I don't see anything wrong with what meanstreak said. His tone was a little harsh perhaps, but I totally get his point.

To say Ricky is nothing special in the NFL is flat out wrong and does show ignorance.

I really think the fact that Ricky took some time off from the sport previously (not the lack of contact, CFL or NFL) is probably a bigger factor as to why he is not the player he once was.
Most of us know that football performances vary from CFL to NFL and vice versa and therefore there is no indication that Ricky cannot be the player that he was in the NFL.
As far as being ignorant, please don't judge me based on a post on this website.
I really don't think he attacked you personally and I really don't think he referred to you as an ignorant person. I think he was referring to your opinion of what Ricky Williams has accomplished in the NFL, that's all. I could be wrong, but that's the way I read it.
Do your homework boys, he was nothing special in the CFL, and will be nothing special in the NFL.
Practice what you PREACH jonesie ... Ricky Williams' NFL RESUME and list of ACCOMPLISHMENTS - would SUGGEST he has ALREADY BEEN something SPECIAL in the NFL and will CONTINUE to CONTRIBUTE at a high level ...

MY homework SUGGESTS you are IGNORANT and can APPRECIATE LITTLE when it comes to TALENTED HUMAN BEINGS.

Peace.

I am sure everyone on this site is aware of Ricky's accomplishments in the PAST in the NFL without doing any homework. While stranger things have happened, in my opinion, I don't believe Ricky will show us much in the future.

I don't see anything wrong with what meanstreak said. His tone was a little harsh perhaps, but I totally get his point.

To say Ricky is nothing special in the NFL is flat out wrong and does show ignorance.

I really think the fact that Ricky took some time off from the sport previously (not the lack of contact, CFL or NFL) is probably a bigger factor as to why he is not the player he once was.
Most of us know that football performances vary from CFL to NFL and vice versa and therefore there is no indication that Ricky cannot be the player that he was in the NFL.
As far as being ignorant, please don't judge me based on a post on this website.
I really don't think he attacked you personally and I really don't think he referred to you as an ignorant person. I think he was referring to your opinion of what Ricky Williams has accomplished in the NFL, that's all. I could be wrong, but that's the way I read it.

Cap'n Kirk: I'm betting you're Meanstreak"s relative.

There is no mistaking what his intent was in is ill advised post. He's done this before too.

With derogatory comments like that, he's lucky the mods slipped up in dumping him.

He does have another side, however, a very civil side, which I generally enjoy reading. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seems like someone misses their mod days.

(Zontar) Seems like someone misses their mod days.
Nah . . . Maybe one of us should apply for the job.