Ricky Williams Cfl Stats

Ricky williams cfl stats were not that bad 109 for 526 yards and 4.8 yards a carry.He would of had oer a 1000 yards if he hadnt got hurt

I don't think that tells the whole story. If memory serves, he was a the bottom of the list over all amongst running backs.

Speaking of NFL cast-off Running Backs ...

Does anybody else find it peculiar that the cfl.ca INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
for the 2002 season show no trace of Lawrence Phillips existing?

http://www.cfl.ca/page/2002league-stats

However, you can find out what he did that year
if you click on the Montreal TEAM stats info. page.

It's kinda strange that the site would "overlook" a player
with over 1,300 yds from scrimmage and 13 rushing TDs.

:roll:

I believe on another thread it was revealed that Ricky William's rushing average was the lowest of any starting RB for the past 20 years. Even worse was his inability to catch the ball, an essential talent for any CFL tailback. But he was well liked by his teammates, fans and media.

[quote="Xvys"]I believe on another thread it was revealed that Ricky William's rushing average was the lowest of any starting RB for the past 20 years. [quote]

4.8 is the worst in 20 years. I find that impossible to believe.

With the exception of Whitlock and Avery, every Eskimo tailback since Jim Germany would have killed for a 4.8 yard average.

I was just going by what another poster claimed about Williams, but checking back to 2002 (as far back as CFL stats go) there was only 1 starting RB who had a lower average. That was a guy named M. Pringle with Eskimos (4.2 yds). So more accurately Ricky Williams had the second lowest rushing average for a starting RB in recorded history.

HEY HE HAD GOOD NUMBERS 2

...{WHISTLETWEET} texting language infraction, using '2' in place of 'too', for shame {WHISTLETWEET}...

Great educational feedback here too not just for those of you like me as freshmen in the "CFL University" so to speak.

For yards per carry average for a feature, every down running back in the CFL, what is a good number? At least 5?

Certainly it sounds from the description that Williams with poor hands was not CFL material, and I'll argue below that more than ever now also in NFL circles they look more away from such guys who are just runners and blockers without hands lest like Williams out of college they are exceptional and they think they can work with them on their hands.

By comparison in the NFL over the long-term with more downs to carry the ball yet one less defender, most of your star or top of the feature backs who play for more than the NFL average, just under 4 years, are at about 4.2 yards per carry or better. Such backs tend to keep their jobs for longer careers, with those less especially in the 3s finding themselves released rather quickly.

Definitely, as I commented separately under a Kenton Keith post, it's so much harder in my view to gain 1000 yards in the CFL for a back lest perhaps one is an NFL back facing the dominating run defences of the Steelers, Ravens, or Vikings twice a season. Now when you go to 1500 yards or more in the NFL, well there you get a whole lot more argument either way.

And no doubt any more as commented below about a CFL back having to have good hands as a receiver, I don't see how even NFL teams any more in just the last few years accept any backs without at least above average hands any more given all the competition out there at a higher level than ever.

On a related note, though some teams still use them, the "bell-cow" three-down back trend is receding as well. Two of the draft picks for such backs were Mathews and Hardesty for example.

Any back who is known not to have good hands is a major tell for any quality defence including its linebacking corps especially. Even if said back does not have many balls thrown at him as the late fourth or fifth option sometimes also with a screen pass, you want him in there to force the defence to take him seriously and man up on also more of the passing downs beyond him just being an extra blocker.

The mere blockers are a dime a dozen amongst the slower, though otherwise strong, uniform-busting beefcake-type fullbacks who look like they are about to spontaneously combust and are always seemingly pis$ed off.

Top tailbacks you want betwen 5.5 and 6 yards per carry. Anything over 6 is gravy.

Artie is right, and this is part of why i find running attempts so much more exciting in the Canadian game. In order for your runningbacks to be truely effective, they need to consistently generate 2nd and 4 situations for your offence.

That kind of ground game opens up the rest of your play book and makes it a looooooooong day for defences.

(Thanks Jeff, Avon, Deandra')

5 yds per carry is about the minimum for tailbacks in the CFL. Anything less and he won't stick around long. There have been tons of backs who've averaged 5.2 or 5.3. If a back can average 5.5 yds, that is very good. There are very few RB's who can average higher than that for more than one season.

In BC, Mallett last season averaged 5.8 yds. The year before S. Logan averaged 7.2 yds in BC (but totalled only 824 yds), but that was only for one season. The Lions Willie Fleming in the 1960's had a 9.6 yd rushing average one season and had a career average of over 7 yds, which is truly amazing, especially considering defences were setup to stop the run back then. If Mallett and Logan had stuck around longer their averages would likely have been closer to 5.5 yds. Logan was also a terrific receiver out of the backfield as was Willie Fleming.

What does this have to do with anything, he played here 4 years ago, he got --ed up and went back to the nfl with his tail between his legs.

In all fairness to Ricky he was playing behind an O-Line designed mainly for pass blocking. His type of running IMO also needs a big lead blocking fullback (similar what Mike Sellers did for Charles Roberts in Winnipeg). Then he would have been looking at a lot more 7-8 yard runs instead of getting picked off early by a keying LBer.
He also had an OC, Kent Austin, who didn't appear to want Ricky around and wouldn't change his offense to accomodate him.
Which got himself fired by the owners.
But Ricky Williams was never going to rush for 2000 + yards (like some deluded US reporters thought) in the CFL. The defenses are too fast and too good. Under sized by NFL standards maybe, but just as tough to run against in the three down senario.
Anyway, that is my take on the Ricky Williams experiment in the CFL. The guy has talent, but not the type of back needed in todays CFL spread offense. I don't believe the great George Reed would have the success he had, in todays CFL either.

I think that is a very fair and balanced perspective on the situation. Sandusky has an agenda but this is quite objective.

Also, to be fair to Ricky, he wasn't exactly right in the head at the time. Guy was a train wreck mentally around that time and furthermore, he wasn't exactly obscure. Defenses were especially interested in stopping him.

A bit of perspective here on Ricky Williams defying long odds in the NFL even beyond making it back into the NFL at all:

Since 1970 Ricky Williams is one of only 10 big NFL backs, at 230lbs minimum, whom a friend and I could come up for a list of feature or star NFL backs who have for at least 1000 yards in at least three NFL seasons.

Fred Taylor is another one and is still playing but near the end of his career, and he’s 4th best on the list IMHO, at 234lbs.

Above Taylor are Hall of Famers Jerome Bettis(future HOF and the 5th most yards rushing of ALL time in the NFL), Franco Harris, and John Riggins in that order for those of you curious and then onward from there with Taylor and Jamal Lewis for the top five.

Both Williams and Taylor started out in the NFL at slightly under but no less than I believe 226lbs, but all the others were from what we can tell always big backs at 230lbs or more.

And currently as other NFL big backs starting and featuring for their teams but not yet achieving this feat also against high odds as 4th and 5th round picks respectively are Brandon Jacobs and Michael Turner.

In short, the track record in the NFL, and it seems likely also the CFL, is just not very good for sake of at least feature player status (2 out of 3 downs on average in the US) for these big backs who otherwise run over everyone in college ball.

Consider amongst so many examples the latest bust looming for example in Lendale White even though he slimmed down to 219 reportedly dropping 45 pounds of what seems to me to have been a lot of chunkage.

As I state also below, I’ll acknowledge freely as well that unless one is playing the Steelers, Ravens, or Vikings twice a season, 1000 yards in the CFL are harder to gain than in the NFL too.

When you examine NFL player history and the nature of the CFL game as indicated with its spread offences, definitely I am not surprised any more that Ricky Williams did not do well up there either.

Who knows what could have been though if he had stayed longer given the amazing comeback he made with last season’s performance as the first over 1000 yards and with a decent average per carry since 2002?

Solid article here by otherwise usually off-the-mark Bucky Brooks on NFL backs over 30 including, as noted in the previous post, two current rare feature big backs (230+ playing weight at least much of their careers) of the last 40 years with Fred Taylor and Ricky Williams:

[url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8188ac7f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true[/url]