Ricky Ray to the Argos rumor

Ya, if they build the new stadium in the West Harbour we won't lose again...right?

No matter who would be at the tiller the Boatmen would still be the Boatmen. :oops: :oops:

Wait a minute. You would bring in Ray and chew up $400,000+ in cap space and jettison your best player just to prevent the Argos from getting Ray?
How much is Ray going to improve an already strong passing game while his bloated salary prevents you from bringing in much needed upgrades in other areas?
It seems paranoia driven by the EDSF Argo win is setting in.

seymour:.. I just think Ray is a better QB....that counts as much as the Blue team getting him.
And I don't care how strong our passing game is.I think Ray would make it even better. We have been 9-9 for two seasons now. That counts for no improvement in my book. This offense and its coach needs change badly....it is NOT in good shape. We need to be more balanced in our offence. We need to decide if Porter of Trafalis or someone else will be our #2.
I think Ray working with Stala, AB3, Mann, McDaniel etc would be a step up...along with a co-ordinator that knows how to attack a defence and keep them guessing.
But...do I think we will get Ray? No..unfortunately not.
If you are happy with the ways things are ...great. I'm not. This is not about paranoia...it's a discussion.
And even with paranoia....we were still bad enough to lose the EDSF. :slight_smile:

Ticat fans cannot be happy with the status quo but Ray and his SMS-killing salary are not going to bring improvement in the areas where it's most needed. Ray cannot upgrade your defensive backfield or provide reliable 40+ yard field goal kicking or run the football in "must have" short yardage situations or improve the anemic run blocking etc...
However, his salary would become an instant obstacle, making the job of improving in those other areas much more difficult and probably forcing the departure of some existing well-paid talent as well.

Would Ray improve our offence? First, look at what the problems were with our offence this year.

Number one problem was a lack of running game. I don't see how Ray could improve that, unless after handing off to the running back, he can run into the line and help with the run blocking. Is he better at disguising the handoff?

Second, do we need to improve on our passing? Other than maybe cutting down on interceptions, it's tough to complain about the passing game this year. And this year, Ray threw one less interception on 150 fewer passes. How much of that was down to his receivers, how much on his o-line, and how much on himself? No idea how to even guess.

Third, predictable play calling. You think our OC, whoever it ends up being, will let the QB, any QB, call his own plays much? So how does a new QB help this? Is he better than Glenn at reading defences and calling audibles? If he is, then this would be the one area where a QB could make a difference to our team. But I don't know if he is.

Ok, so "better is better". Is Ray really better than Glenn? And if so, is he "better enough" to warrant the change, and the salary? I don't know if if we can afford both. Although if we could, that would be quite the one-two punch....

Ray? No way. The QB is not the problem. The Offensive Co-ordinator is the problem.

Can I suggest we kill this thread....this is a ticat website. I know most of us are passionate CFL fans but 2 pages on our hated arch rival? just a thought.

Mr. Ricky Ray, meet Mr. Stevie Baggs (again)...

Most Ticat fans secretly love to talk about the Argos. It's an addiction. :wink:

seymour wrote:

" Ticat fans cannot be happy with the status quo but Ray and his SMS-killing salary are not going to bring improvement in the areas where it's most needed. Ray cannot upgrade your defensive backfield or provide reliable 40+ yard field goal kicking or run the football in "must have" short yardage situations or improve the anemic run blocking etc...

However, his salary would become an instant obstacle, making the job of improving in those other areas much more difficult and probably forcing the departure of some existing well-paid talent as well."

seymour: The case I am making is that our offence is on the wrong track relying so much on the pass. For the most part, I think Glenn has done the job as far as throwing the ball.
I think Ray can do that as good or if not better than Glenn. Also Ray can take off with the ball better than Glenn. We had no real running game this year so whoever runs our offence next season ( surely not Gibson again) will need to re-vamp the offensive game. I just think Ray is a more rounded QB. He is the same age as Glenn so their shelf lives are similar.
I did not suggest Ray should be calling the plays but from what I have seen he reads defences pretty good.....especially in the two Grey Cups he won where he was voted MVP. In 2008...all time record for passing yards.
And in no way was I suggesting that we end up with Glenn and Ray. I want one or the other.
Also I do not dispute there are other problem areas to deal with quickly too.....but I think Ray's acquisition would allow more changes to our offence.
A lot of posters here seem to prefer minor changes but I think this team needs a lot more than that if we are to show major improvement next year.

Ray vs. Glenn?

Hows did the Eskies make out this year....?

Oh yeah....

Screw Ray... Great quarterback (history)
, however not much left in the tank. Glenn didn't lose the playoff game this year-Gibson did!!!

I wouln't trade Glen for Ray nowadays for anything!

A few tweaks and we're there INMHO

The Cats are a good team and on a good day, they're a very good team. However, compare them to the Als and they still have a long way to go. Mere tinkering isn't going to cut it.

An Argo-Cat fan

I think the biggest difference between good teams and great teams is depth. Particularly on defense, the Als never seem to run out of quality players. Gaining depth is largely a product of shrewd scouting and recruiting over the long term. Great players aren't available at every position all the time, so a good GM has a strong understanding of the pipeline of potential free agents and talented young newcomers who can be expected to become available each year. A good example of this is the way the Cats have drafted in the last few years to try and set themselves up to have a starting Canadian on one corner.

Jim Popp has been building his own team on an ongoing basis since 1994, and beyond the good fortune of having Tracy Ham, Anthony Calvillo and Mike Pringle, he's consistently brought in good players not through major airlifts and overhauls, but through incremental changes bringing in talented young players every year.

The current Saskatchewan team isn't the result of sweeping changes, it's the result of successive regimes of good recruiting by Roy Shivers and Eric Tillman (though Tillman deserves extra credit for making the unpopular decision to shed some pricy veterans to make SMS space for new blood).

Unless a team is total garbage, tinkering is the most reliable path to success, as long as you have the right guy doing the tinkering. :wink: I think there are some positions that should be upgraded (e.g. Tailback, D. Tackle, D. Halfback), but there are some major pieces of the puzzle already in place (e.g. QB), that should be left alone.

Ever since the day that Danny Mac retired the Ticats have been a disaster at the Q/B position, This is the most IMPORTANT position on any team, Hence our terrible record since then,Of course some posters blame our pathetic record on Caretaker instead of on our pathetic Q/B ing, those years of Maas followed by Printers did great damage to the fanbase of this city.
Now we have Kevin Glenn who is an outstanding Q/B who had a record breaking year.
FINALLY the Q/B position is NOT the problem on this team, the problems are now in easier to upgrade positions.
In OBIE we trust.

Good teams win the close games, cats give up the big plays in close games, and have been for years. Essentially cats always beat the cats.

safetyblitz, depth is one thing that sets the great teams apart from the crowd. But the great teams also have 4-5 guys who are able to elevate their games beyond the guys around them. The Cats have maybe two--Knowlton and maybe Thigpen. The Als have a bunch--the two ACs, Richardson, Watkins, Cox, Stewart. Also, the great teams have great coaches. Need I say more.

An Argo-Cat fan