Ricky Ray announces retirement

He’ll be missed for sure when he hangs up the cleats, a great player and great ambassador for the Canadian game.

Hardly a surprise … I would have been disappointed in him if he continued … football is important but pales next to the rest of your life … best wishes Ricky.

One of the all time great QBs in this league IMO. Longevity well beyond what many expected despite how badly his career ended.

Sad to watch him get carted off the field in front on me and hush over BMO that day. But that won’t be remember for long.

I wonder where he will ultimately end up, either in Edmonton or Toronto A case could certainly be made for either city. The cap will probably prohibit an immediate opening but it is probably a good idea to take some time away. I could see him working either in coaching or on the operation side of things.
I kind of think he will remain with Toronto.

Seems that a player of Ricky Rays stature deserves so much more than a conference call. :-\

Where would Ricky Ray fit into this list of retired CFL QB’s
and in what order should they be listed?

Flutie
Moon
Calvillo
Lancaster
Dunnigan
Jackson
Kapp
Burris

Not an Argos fan (nor much else out of TO - no offence to Tornotonians but it is my tribal obligation as a native Ottawan!), but I always liked Ricky Ray and wish him the best. Hope he stays on with the Argos and does what he can to get his old team back on track.

One of the all-time greats. Deadly accurate arm. Glad he has called it a day for his own sake. Don’t like seeing the greats spending half their games being carried off on stretchers in their final years. Joe Montana and Nolan Ryan come to mind.

Well it looks like Eric Tillman won the trade afterall.

Poor Ricky Ray is done after a measly 6 seasons in Toronto while Steven Jyles is…but then you still have Grant Shaw kicking for…And who can forget Austin Pasztor and all those CFL games he’s played in…

Yup, guess one needs to take the long view for these transactions. ;D

Last full season played, grey cup winner.

Great player, as a Rider fan,always made me nervous at the end of games when he had the ball.

I feel the urge for a stats comparison coming on.

Very easy going nice guy.
Moon
Moon
Moon

Ray
Calvillo
Dunigan
Jackson
Theisemann
Lancaster
Flutie
5 or 6 six more great quality, names will appear

Burris

Making the announcement via conference call was hardly befitting a player of Ray’s stature. However, Ray said it was his decision.
“When I called Jim (Argos GM Jim Popp) and told him I was ready to make an announcement, he told me they’d do anything I wanted,” Ray said. "I wanted to come to a game and bring my family and really didn’t want to make a trip there, do this and then turn around and make another trip.
“For me, getting it done … and putting it behind me a little bit, I felt the best way to do that was with a conference call.”

Appreciate that Mr. for posting that info. Well done, very well done!

That’s an interesting question. And lists are fun.
Mine: I have Ray at 7

Flutie
Moon
Wilkinson
Garcia
Dickenson
Dunigan
Ray
Calvillo
Allen
Burris

For me the top 10 . Ray is number 7 .

Flutie
Moon
Calvillo
Dunigan
Wilkinson
Jackson
Ray
Garcia
Lancaster
Allen

Close to the 10

Burris
Brock
Etchevery
Parker

Congratulations to Ricky Ray on a hall of fame career. Always respected him, even though he painfully beat Johnny’s Alouettes twice for the Grey Cup.

Will never forget in the 2005 Grey Cup. Als leading with a few seconds left. The Esks are facing 3 and 26. Ray hits Mookie Mitchell for a first down… ARGH. The Esks then tie the game and win in overtime.

That was one of the best games of all time IMHO. It was also the game that made me begin to give up on the CBC as a reliable and supportive broadcaster for the CFL — a doubt that would be validated a few years later.

It was a great game, except for the result!