Ricky Foley signs with BC Argos

From the Vancouver Sun:

VANCOUVER - Don't ever tell Ricky Foley it's all about the money. The CFL's 2009 Canadian of the Year shunned a higher offer from his hometown Toronto Argonauts to sign with the B.C. Lions on Monday night.

Foley is expected to rejoin his new, er, old team sometime today and expects to be available for the Lions' road game against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Saturday.

“At the end of the day you need to have a smile on your face,? said Foley, 28, from his parents' home in Courtice, Ont. “If you're not happy, it doesn't really matter how much money you have in your wallet.?

It's been reported the Argos were offering upwards of $165,000 annually for the services of last season's sacks leader. The Calgary Stampeders, and to a lesser degree, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats were also in the mix.

“Like come-on – I thought last year making 60 grand was a lot, so it's hard to complain or feel bad about stuff when it comes down to taking a little less money spread over the term of the contract,? continued Foley, who learned to appreciate the value of money growing up the youngest son of cattle farmers. “I mean, the worst thing that could happen for me would be to have more in my bank account, but have 10 less sacks and not as much fun.?

Money aside, teammates, the city and his comfort level were the deciding factors in his decision.

“I won Canadian of the Year there, led the league in sacks there and won a ring with those guys and I feel by coming back I can continue that success while Toronto was a bit of the unknown,? said Foley, who signed for two-years plus a team option. “I walk in that locker room [today] or the next day and get hugs and kisses rather than stares and mean mugs. I like those guys and I really feel with Casey [Printers] there and guys getting healthy that despite the team's record we have a good shot this year. I really do think we're going to turn things around.?

The deal comes exactly one week after Foley was cut by the NFL's New York Jets.

“The NFL was a pretty frustrating experience so just to get on the field and be comfortable again at my position, what the team expects of me, my assignments and blocks and techniques and everything … It's been a long time,? said Foley, before offering a warning to offensive lineman across the league. “I just can't wait to destroy people.?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Ricky+Foley+signs+with+Lions+shuns+higher+offer+from+Argonauts/3519783/story.html

This is huge.
Welcome back Ricky.
Glad he's back.

Good for Foley. The way he made his decision was admirable. I wish him all the best back in BC, and back in the CFL.
Just gives O-Lines out there another reason to start stepping up there game. :stuck_out_tongue:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

This is a bad day for anyone who isn't a BC fan!!!!!!!!

Lol but congrats to the lions on a GREAT signing!!!!!!!

Boy, am I glad that my Als have already played both their games with the Lions this year. :lol:

Yup, big signing assuming he doesn't have an injury from NFL camps.

Apparently Foley changed his mind :?

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=333779

Lions fans shouldn't celebrate yet. TSN.ca is reporting his actually signed with the Argos...

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=333779

Edit: Looks like we posted at the same time, camkind. :lol:

…wally says it was pressure from the ‘family’ for his change of course …Oh well…he’s still in the fold…right Braley :wink: :lol:

Holy!!!

That is absolutely hilarious.

Not the first time something like this has happened. Hedo had a verbal contract with the Trail Blazers, but then signed with the Raptors (I wish he would've stuck with Portland).

The fact that the Lions and Argos were both after Foley would seem to indicate that David Braley owning both teams does not influence the decisions made by the GMs regarding what players they pursue and how much they pay the players since Foley didn’t come cheap.

Whoa, this is crazy. Tranna must have thrown a lot of cash at him.

I'm just glad he's not in our division! :lol: :rockin:

Can someone explain how and why this really happened? :? Was it just $$$ after all the talk as is often the case?

No, I think he actually wanted to come to BC out of loyalty. After all, the Lions gave him his start.

But I think his family wanted to see him out east. Since you are in the US, Paolo, you might not know that Toronto and Vancouver are about the same distance apart as LA and NY. Its a loooonng way, and if family is important, that distance, plus the 3-hour time lag, can be quite a strain. I think he looked at the pros and cons, and decided that family AND money outweighed what he felt he owed to the Lions.

Or, maybe he just didn't want to deal with Vancouver's famous 250 days of rain per year. :smiley:

Either way, an oral contract isn't worth the paper its written on.

But, But they where planning the cup parade route lol.

Karma stepped in viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60351

I was listening to the Team 1040 morning show today and they were interviewing Foley and it was a done deal. All he was talking about was the team and how he was happy to be coming back etc and a few hrs later he's an Argo?? :thdn:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ! If it wasn't important, why would he be trying out in the NFL ?

Nothing to do with Braley, if he didn't want to play in the east, he wouldn't, end of story.