Richie Hall gone

I know as a Rider fan, I would love to have him back in charge of our defence. The guy is a Rider for life, doesn’t matter where else he goes.

Wherever Hall goes next year, the team will be much improved.

I’m not seeing any scenario where Kavis Reed is an upgrade at the position.

I mean if the goal is just to dump Hall at all costs, I hear Bart Andrus is looking for work. Mike Kelly maybe? Hell, lets get Lonie Glieberman in there!

…there is a couple of hitches, though MadJack…as far as we know Tilman has not asked the Bombers for permission to talk to Reed…could be just a formality though ,as the Bombers would definitely not stand in Kavis’ way to be a head coach…Another is the contract of Halls…IF he could work out a ‘pay-out’ with Tilman (probably a very big part of the discussions between Eric and Hall the last few days)…then i think it’s off to the Peg for Mr. Hall… :wink:

have there been any recent examples of success when a defensive coach makes the jump to head-coach?

only 2 DC to HC come to mind:

rich stubler: amazing defensive coach, and toast as head-coach very quickly.
richie hall: not suited for head-coach.

no success there.

Rich Stubler was given a lousy offense and had his own GM create a quarterback controversy. The team was 4-6 with him. When he was gone, they went 0-8, and then 3-15 the year after. So yeah, it’s clear that Stubler was the problem there. :stuck_out_tongue:

If this is a “trial balloon” then Terry Jones is a stooge of the Eskimos. I seriously doubt that is the case. I do hope he’s wrong in this however, but he’s been around so long and has so many contacts I fear he’s right.

i didnt say he was the problem. but he didnt have any success.

This leak of Hall's firing is just another case of the Eskimos doing a testing the water media release that they always do.

I don't see the reason for the big rush. Most GM's are respectful of the teams in the playoff and let the discussions focus on the playoffs and not try to catch the spotlight by firing a coach in the playoffs, but I see why Tillman wants to be the center of attention.

If Tillman thinks he is going to get a jump on Sask or BC in talking to a potential head coaches, Tillman forgets his chances of talking to Dave Dickenson with Calgary in the playoffs are slim and none and if Kavis Reed figures he may be approached by either Sask or BC, he is not going to make a snap decision.

I just don't see any reason for the timing now, this can wait until December - 21 days is not going to make a huge difference.

Well Jim Daley and Gary Etcheverry also moved from DC up to head coach with not much success.

But, on the other hand, I do believe that Don Matthews and Wally Buono were both defensive coordinators before becoming head coaches. . .

Seems to me if you'd fire Hall, you'd replace him with an established coach. Not another coordinator from another non-playoff team... Oh well, Hall wont be unemployed for very long/

DG, agree with a lot about what you say of Ritchie Hall the person. One of my favourite players to watch. Remember being so impressed that such a small guy sacrificed his body constantly tackling guys much larger. In fact probably one of the best tacklers ever in the CFL. I remember once watching him tackle a player, get up in pain (right shoulder hangin about 3 inches lower) and still playing thru the pain. Was awesome! I'd taken him over Etchy anyway of the week. Players truly love to play for this guy. He won't be out of work for long.

Kavis Reed did a great job with the Winnipeg defence. I really hope the Esks don’t hire him because I don’t want the Bombers to lose him.

bad idea.

Kavis needs more coaching experience first. he’s only been coaching for about 3-4 seasons now? and this is his first season as a Def Coord?

Kavis Reed has been coaching in the CFL for almost 10 years. His first job was with the Argos in 2001. He was DC in Toronto and Hamilton.

oh ok. I wasn’t sure where Reed was. I know he helped in Edmonton a bit.

None of those figures you mentioned are true. Reed was DC in Toronto in 2008 and in Hamilton from 2004-2007. So he’s been around longer than 4 years and he’s been a DC before.

And Blue Blood, I think the talent in Winnipeg had more to do with their greatness this year than Reed. Let the Eskies have Reed, and go get Hall.

I used to think you were cool… :x

Sorry. :oops:

So your not a Miller fan either?