Revised edtion of my CFL book -- etc

For life of me, I couldn't find old thread --- maybe I've forgotten original username or it was lost with upgrade.

I'll keep it simple.

I've just found out that my CFL book is now also available at the downtown Chapter's in Montreal --- that's two cities now with it in Ottawa. Don't want to jump the gun but after speaking with other store managers, I believe it w/b showing up soon in other cities, most likely Edmonton and at least one Toronto-area store first in next little while.

It's also been picked up by a number of public and univesity libraries.

When additional stores pick it up or if I have further info, I'll post to this thread. Don't want to be accused of spamming.

Oh, and I'm still hard at work with second CFL book on US expansion --- DUE SOUTH AND DUE DILIGENCE. I'm aiming for September publication on that.

For further info, pls visit my Lulu storefront at www.lulu.com/sobrien. You can always send me an email or PM if you have questions.

Cheers
Steve O'Brien

THE CANADIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE: THE PHOENIX OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS LEAGUES

cool and thanks.................

Cool, I check it out.

Couple of questions. How much? Where is the chapters in Downtown Montreal?

IPeter 6625

The Mtl Chapter's is 1171 St.Catherines -- I believe it's near McGill.
Cost in Ottawa stores is 31.50. I imagine it's same there.

BTW: The US list is $29.98. Different online sites sell it for more or less than that. For those In US, it's cheapest going thru Lulu ($25). They have free shipping (slow, tho). My Lulu blog lists various booksellers who are selling it.

Found out today that it is now available at the Polo Festival Chapter's in Winnipeg.

At least now it's moving West.

Book has now been been ordered by following public libraries ---Toronto (6), Hamilton (4) , Vancouver (?). Edmonton (3) and Ottawa (2) I believe actually have it in their collections by now.

Acadia U also just ordered it. That makes four univ libraries (U of T, Mac, Ottawa U) who have ordered it in.

This gives folks a chance to check it out before deciding whether to buy a copy. It also makes book available to those who can't afford to buy one.

Forgot to mention originally that book is also available for sale at Football Hall of Fame in Hamilton.

By accident, I discovered that book is on sale at Chapter's in Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Belleville and at both Chapter's and Indigo in Kingston.

I have no idea of how or when they got there. I've only been dealing with stores in and around CFL cities. Couldn't have been Chapter's Head office because they've told me all along they wouldn't order in bulk for stores across Canada. That has been left up to me. I'll have specific details about Tor-Ham area, Van, Cgy and Edm within a couple of weeks --- long time coming, but hey what can I do.

Oh, and Regina Public Library, Univ. of Alberta and Univ. of Sask have advised me in last week that they will be ordering copies for their collections.

What's the book about? (more specifically than "the CFL", please!) You say it's the phoenix of pro sports ... is it just about how the League has turned it around so well since the mid-90's?

It's a history of League --- not much on-field stuff tho ---from beginning thru to 2003 inc. 3 chaptrs on US expansion.. There are also few theme chapters --- role of Cdn player, how media affects perception of League etc. But you're right about "Phoenix" meaning except it'sabout how League has continually survived so many obstacles thru its history ---not just since the 90s. A lot of challenges for CFL (inc. today) are seemingly never-ending themes.

You can read a preview at my Lulu storefront, go to Amazon.com where you can read a selection of book thru Search Inside Book feature or Google the title and you'll be also able to read sample chapters..

The book has hit Burnaby BC Chapter's today.

I contacted managers in about 30-35 stores about two weeks ago and 90% said they'll be ordering it in. While I thought (hoped?) several stores would get them in at same time, it looks now like it'll be spread out over a few weeks just because of way Chapter's internal systems/procedures works.

Still, by Labour Day, it s/b more widely available across country.

I'll post as I hear something.

Steve

As revised title says, book is now n Burlington Indigo.

This is first result of all those calls I made to store mgrs about as mth ago. I imagine more will come in the next couple of weeks.

Any person that wants any book there are many ways to get it:

• go to your local Chapters: if they don't have a book then order it through them;
  • go online to Chapters or any bookseller and you will have books ordered to your home; and
  • libraries: let them know what you are interested in and usually they will do something about it.

Thanks for pointing that out to people.

Because I had to recreate thread, it didn''t have all (sometimes bloated) details as threads on other sites.

Trouble I've found tho is that lots of people still don't like buying books online esp when there's no way of checking it out first. That's why so much of my time has been spent getting it into stores. That way people can paw thru it, read some of it and then decide.

But as you pointed out, the even cheaper way is to go to a library.

A couple of things.

First, I am publishing a revised edition of my CFL book. It should be available thru Lulu next month. Changes are largely cosmetic --- reformatting with better-looking font, single spacing and a “real� cover. This is largely in line with the “alternate edition� I created a couple months ago. The reformatting will cut the book’s length by about 150 pages, but even then it will remain in the same 8.25 X 11 size. Using the only other (smaller) size book would still produce a 500-page book which defeats the purpose of a revised format..

I will have the original edition de-listed from distribution but how long that will take I do not know nor do I have any control over it.. Because of the changes, the revised edition will have a new ISBN (a book’s identification number). So it will take a few weeks before that starts showing on the various online sites but Amazon.com should have it by early December. Once I know that the new edition is uploaded on the distributor’s database, I can � if I so decide to input it on to Chapter’s/Indigo.

Ah yes, Chapter’s. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I held off on mentioning anything about this before now until everything was settled and I calmed down. The details of my ongoing battles are duly noted in other threads. Here’s the (pardon the pun) Coles Notes version.

Chapter’s HO buyer did not want to place a bulk order for other stores across Canada. She told me tho that I was free to contact stores individually to get the book stocked in whichever stores wanted it. I was able to get it into four additional stores. By late August, I had either arranged myself or with help from their buyers out West to get it into about 30 other stores � 150-200 copies in total.

When I didn’t see it showing up, I made a number of inquiries. Finally, word came thru one of the managers that the HO buyer had refused to put thru any more orders. Not only that, she said that the book would not be re-ordered for any store that has sold out of copies. Chapter’s is still complaining that they are not getting a high enough discount from the distributor. She also said that sports books were “over-inventoried.� The suggestion given to me was to tell people to buy it online and to be thankful that it got into any stores because many new books are only sold online. So months of effort was largely wasted.

You can imagine my reaction on hearing this. I fired off an email to the senior buyer with a copy to CEO Heather Reisman herself. They didn’t have the courtesy to reply.

So, if I’m going to drive potential customers, my suggestion is to buy it from Lulu. The price ($25.01 US) is more or less what Chapter’s charges online or in-store. The Lulu price also provides free shipping (tho thru US Postal Ground) in either Canada or US. An added benefit to ordering thru Lulu is that with my “insider� status there, I can help if there are any problems with the order or delivery.

I’ve got a few weeks to decide about whether I’m going to list the revised edition on Chapter’s or not. Those stores which have copies in stock will continue to sell them. But I see no point in anyone buying those copies with the revised edition available.

When I know more about how everything is coming along, I’ll provide updates.

Oh, for those wondering, I have postponed publication of my book on US expansion until the spring.

For media folks who received a copy of the book, I would like to have some blurbs placed on the back cover. If you have read it and wish to provide a blurb --- nothing too expansive, a sebntence is fine --- please PM or email me

Cheers
Steve

[url=http://www.lulu.com/sobrien]www.lulu.com/sobrien[/url] obrienst@magma.ca

A couple of things.

First, I am publishing a revised edition of my CFL book. It should be available thru Lulu next month. Changes are largely cosmetic --- reformatting with better-looking font, single spacing and a “real� cover. This is largely in line with the “alternate edition� I created a couple months ago. The reformatting will cut the book’s length by about 150 pages, but even then it will remain in the same 8.25 X 11 size. Using the only other (smaller) size would still produce a 500-page book which defeats the purpose of a revised format

I will have the original edition de-listed from distribution but how long that will take I do not know nor do I have any control over it.. Because of the changes, the revised edition will have a new ISBN (a book’s identification number). So it will take a few weeks before that starts showing on the various online sites but Amazon.com should have it by early December. Once I know that the new edition is uploaded on the distributor’s database, I can � if I so decide to input it on to Chapter’s/Indigo.

Ah yes, Chapter’s. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I held off on mentioning anything about this before now until everything was settled and I calmed down. The details of my ongoing battles are duly noted in other threads. Here’s the (pardon the pun) Coles Notes version.

Chapter’s HO buyer did not want to place a bulk order for other stores across Canada. She told me tho that I was free to contact stores individually to get the book stocked in whichever stores wanted it. I was able to get it into four additional stores. By late August, I had either arranged myself or with help from their buyers out West to get it into about 30 other stores � 150-200 copies in total.

When I didn’t see it showing up, I made a number of inquiries. Finally, word came thru one of the managers that the HO buyer had refused to put thru any more orders. Not only that, she said that the book would not be re-ordered for any store that has sold out of copies. Chapter’s is still complaining that they are not getting a high enough discount from the distributor. She also said that sports books were “over-inventoried.� The suggestion given to me was to tell people to buy it online and to be thankful that it got into any stores because many new books are only sold online. So months of effort was largely wasted.

You can imagine my reaction on hearing this. I fired off an email to the senior buyer with a copy to CEO Heather Reisman herself. They didn’t have the courtesy to reply.

So, if I’m going to drive potential customers, my suggestion is to buy it from Lulu. The price ($25.01 US) is more or less what Chapter’s charges online or in-store. The Lulu price also provides free shipping (tho thru US Postal Ground) in either Canada or US. An added benefit to ordering thru Lulu is that with my “insider� status there, I can help if there are any problems with the order or delivery.

I’ve got a few weeks to decide about whether I’m going to list the revised edition on Chapter’s or not. Those stores which have copies in stock will continue to sell them. But I see no point in anyone buying those copies with the revised edition available.

When I know more about how everything is coming along, I’ll provide updates.

Oh, for those wondering, I have postponed publication of my book on US expansion until the spring.

For media folks who received a copy of the book, I would like to have some blurbs placed on the back cover. If you have read it and wish to provide a blurb --- nothing too expansive, a sentence is fine --- please PM or email me

Cheers
Steve

[url=http://www.lulu.com/sobrien]www.lulu.com/sobrien[/url] http://www.lulu.com/content/178870

The revised edition of my book has started showing up on various online sites such as amazon.com, amazon.ca and Chapter's.

BUT, Chapter's has price set too high at $36.95. I've emailed them about it so hopefully, they'll amend that soon.

Different retailers have different ways and timeframes as far as uploading cover image, description etc. Some are faster and better about it than others.

As always, more details c/b found on my Lulu storefront. Feel free also to PM/email me.

BTW: Thanks to those who supplied little reviews for the back cover -- Frank Cosentino, Dave Randorf, Rod Pedersen, Rick Moffat and John Valentine. It was very much appreciated.

Chapter's has finally corrected the price. It is now set at $29.90. :smiley:

Man, could ya stop spamming the forums with messages about your book? After all this forum is not a "for sale" forum.

here here!