Retro Uniforms

I heard somewhere that they will be moving through the decades from year to year. In other words, next year should be the 70s look. Here is a link to a previous article announcing a 5-year retro plan. Recall that last year Toronto and Winnipeg wore 1950s style uniforms and helmets:

[url=http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2008/08/25/cfl-league-set-to-launch-retro-week.aspx]http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... -week.aspx[/url]

My error, the Als do have the numbers- I find it difficult to recognize who are the players of opposing teams. Right on, keep the red sweaters they look great. I guess, however, this could be a problem with the sponsors who have the name of their product on the sweaters-eg beer ad. In future if we have to have retro week, keep it short, perhaps one week.

I like the retro jerseys...c'mon it's only been 4 games out 10 now....

Sure if they over-use it, it will be déjà vu...but I like it...I was glad that they wore it this week-end, when it wasn't schedule because my son got to see it up close.

It's a good way to show the kids that this team was here before....

I don't care about the player not having their names on the back.....if you follow the team closely, out of 42 man roster you probably know 30 by heart....for the opponet it's a bit difficult, but we know most of their star players...

As for the black uni's they've been pushing down our throat since 2001...make a big bonfire out of 'em...

N.B. to Jim Popp, we are not the Carolina Panthers !

Hey X-Gamer, funny one about the names on the jerseys. The CFL tried to simulate as close as possible to the 60s when there were no names on the jersey. All teams complied with the exception of one (who had special permission to add names). Now we all know that the Argos hold themselves in high esteem and consider themselves as special...........why not, they apparently are from the center of their myopic universe. They were the only team to have names on their retro jerseys. The reason behind this was...get this.....that they wanted to appease their fans so that they would know who the players were :roll: Argos fans?........hello :roll: .........the fans know who the players are, it's the non fans that don't and they won't be watching..................so why bother :expressionless: . Another Torontonianism. ARGOOOOOOS..........SUCK!!!!

Hey Robocop, Argos do suck indeed (but less than the dreaded Leafs). as for the different eras saluted by retro jerseys, I'm sorry but I am not looking forward to the 70s "green" period for the Als, although they won a Grey Cup dressed as shamrocks. And after that, we had great teams (remember Joe Barnes?) but uniform wise it was downhill. They either looked like O'Keefe brewery advertisements or old Patriots (during the Concordes period).

Keep the red & white with the wings. With the team we have, we'll be able to atone for all the miserable years under Pea Head Walker, OK Dalton, Perry Moss...And honor Georges Dixon by the way!

Hey Pideja. Right on about the Lafs :rockin: Getting back to the jerseys, what I think they have in mind for the 70s is the red white and blue version with the triangular type logo. The dreaded bird logo that accompanied the green unis was subtly incorporated into this year's retro merchandise (note the caps and long-sleeved shirts the staff were wearing with the dreaded weird looking bird logo...........and interestingly no green). I am hoping that this was their way of acknowledging that version and that they will move forward to the red white and blue which was actually in use for longer (1975 - 1981).

I would like to add that like many of us I am a strong advocate for getting rid of the black mistake (current official 3rd jersey) and replacing it with the 1960s throwback. It is my favorite of all the eras, and with a little tweaking of the helmet logo.........rock on!!!

That would be really cool. 8)

I’ll be REALLY impressed when they go back to the leather helmets though. :lol:

I like that bird logo, that design was made by one of the best canadian designers of 70’s, i cannot remember who it was, but he made few classic logo designs in the 60’s
I love the 60’s jersey, the 70’s uni is darn ugly, the 70’s is nice, but i prefer the 60’s one. Especially the helmet.

Well, if Riddell can make and paint their helmets to appear as if made from leather, why not?

Remember last season’s Habs game against Bruins when they wore the dreaded pajama-stripe sweater? Carey Price had his leg and arm guards that appeared to be as if made of leather, with the color and texture of one.

If they do the 70's era next year...does that mean we'll see the martian green usni & blue uni's (i.e 74 & 77 GC) ??

X-Gamer wrote: If they do the 70’s era next year…does that mean we’ll see the martian green usni & blue uni’s (i.e 74 & 77 GC) ??

The Als did win Grey Cups with those uniforms, did they not? Still, I would rather they didn’t.

Do you think that zebras also need to be in retro during retro weeks? In NFL week 1 between Patriots and Bills the teams wore their retros and their zebras wore something retro too, red and white IIRC. Even their chain gangs sported the old 25-star NFL logo.

For the record Hercules, Those red and white uniforms the refs wore are also throwbacks. This year the NFL is commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the founding of the American Football League. The AFL’s referees wore red and white uniforms during the league’s 10 year run. In addition, this season the original 8 AFL teams will be wearing throwback uniforms when they play each other. For instance, today my NY Jets will be wearing their blue and gold jerseys the wore when they were the NY Titans in the early 1960’s. Also, the Tennessee Titans will back their old Houston Oiler uniforms and helmets when they play the Jets today.

I hope this helps!!!

That is exactly my point, actually. Do you not think that when the CFL has retro weeks, it should dress its zebras with throwback uniforms as well? Personally I think it was cool to see that everything on the field was retro, including the officials.